Sign in to follow this  

1997 KTM 620 LC4 a good starter bike?

Hey everyone,

Quick background...I've dirtbiked a handful of times and am looking to get into dual sports. I'm taking my M1 class in about a week and have started looking at bikes. I'm a mechanical engineer and lead a student off road vehicle racing team in college at Cal Poly so I'm good with my hands and mechanically. 

Looking at a 1997 KTM 620 LC4 for $1800. Currently registered and says it starts up first time and idles well with around 7500 miles. Pictures show that it is really clean. Essentially I'm wanting input into if this is a good deal and would be a good starting bike. The way I see it, it may be a good price point to get into the sport and a solid starter to tinker with and figure out what I do and don't like. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks all!

Id say go for it, I think it would be a great first bike for you. it will have plenty of power so be gentle with it until you start to get comfortable.

How tall are you? These big 4 strokes are normally pretty tall so keep that in mind.

Have you ever bought a bike before?

There is plenty of info out there on how to check over a used bike before you buy. 

I would recommend reading as much as you can and finding out as much as possible as you can about these bikes. Whats a common failure point? What parts need to be maintained beyond general maintenance?  

Make sure you ride it through all its gears before you buy and listen for any noise you think is unusual.

If you don't have much experience try to take a friend. The last thing you want to do is buy a lemon.

Do you have good access to parts? Is there a good KTM dealer in your area? As you know from being part of an offroad club things break in the dirt and you will need to replace them.

If it checks out well from what you have said i think it would make a great starting bike. Maybe a little heavy on the trails but you wont know know the difference if you haven't ever ridden anything else.

Also I'm not saying $1800 is high but keep in mind it is a 20 year old bike i would try to talk the guy down a bit if you can.

i hope you get to buy it and enjoy it. :ride:

Edited by atkbra