Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust/ Header Fitment HELP!

I been running a FMF FACTORY 4.1 Slip on exhaust on with my stock 2009 250x oem header (as I am now informed they have not changed during the years.)

To fit the pipes, FMF provided a exhaust sleeve to fit their midpipe with the oem header, FMF diameter of their pipes are larger than the stock and it ran smooth with no issues.

As of a couple of days ago I decided to purchase an after market  250R 2005 Leo Vince header; as I was told 250R 04-05 parts were compactible with the 250X models.

When comparing the two headers they look indentical in lenght but the Leo Vince has slightly more diameter (Maybe same as any 250R should have? never seen one.)  but still had to use the provided sleeve, the FMF midpipe is just to wide. I had to grind/shave some the inner diameter of the sleeve to make the leo vince header fit in it.

Throughtout the installation of the whole exhaust system everything fitted properly, and when I finally assembled everything I had a issue, the header is too long. The braket connected to the exhaust can is not centering where it bolts it down on the swingarm; aswell the midpipe cannot be centered and botlted. Do I need to shorted the header???

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS??? will post and update pictures of the issue later. Anything will help don't know any ways to resolve this.

I would assume the FMF muffler connection point is the same as the OEM muffler and the 250R (04-05) header connection is the same position as the X one.  I'm basing this on the CCC mods list stating to use the 250R header with the 250x muffler.  So if the OEM 250x header fits with the FMF muffler the OEM 250R (04-05) should fit the same.  In a very roundabout way I'm thinking maybe it's possible the Leo Vince header only fits with the Leo Vince muffler.

Edited by smithjNW
  • Like 1

From the looks of it it was made to fit specifically to the Leo vince slip on. If you're feeling adventurous you could cut some off leading into the mid pipe

• Like 1

Leo Vince headpipes can be a headache as I have found out. They are normally made to fit specifically to their slip on only. I would shorten the headpipe to the correct length just forward of the connection with the slip on. I think from what I can see in the pics , the headpipe is flared to a larger diameter just before the connection. If so,then you will probably be making the cut at a point in the pipe prior to the flare and,if so, then the OD of the pipe will be too small to fit tightly into the FMF sleeve, you need to take some careful measurements prior making any cuts! FWIW the lowboy pipe is an excellent choice for adding low end torque on the 250X.

Edited by chopper61
  • Like 1

Leo Vince headpipes can be a headache as I have found out. They are normally made to fit specifically to their slip on only. I would shorten the headpipe to the correct length just forward of the connection with the slip on. I think from what I can see in the pics , the headpipe is flared to a larger diameter just before the connection. If so,then you will probably be making the cut at a point in the pipe prior to the flare and,if so, then the OD of the pipe will be too small to fit tightly into the FMF sleeve, you need to take some careful measurements prior making any cuts! FWIW the lowboy pipe is an excellent choice for adding low end torque on the 250X.

It looks pretty much like a straight through pipe with a decent amount of room to cut. From the pictures he posted I didn't see a flange or a flare like you'd see on some other pipes.

It looks pretty much like a straight through pipe with a decent amount of room to cut. From the pictures he posted I didn't see a flange or a flare like you'd see on some other pipes.

Look straight above the subframe mounting bolt, what appears as some sort of reflection is probably a flare in the pipe.

Edited by chopper61

Yea I saw that but couldn't really tell if it was our just a marring. Can't really tell on my phone. In all honesty he could probably cut a little off the mid pipe also to keep from shacking to header too short. One of those things I'd want to see it in person though

Have you had any leo vince pipes in the past? Thats exacly it, Its the lowboy. Looks like your right the only solution I see here would be shortening the headpipe. Do you know any ways I could do this, does  it matter if its titanium? BTW I had no idea the lowboy was excellent for low end and torque, Thanks bud!

Decided to take some more shots of the headpipe. Also measured/ estimated how much I would have to cut of the headpipe to propery fit it into the midpipe (You can see this by a black sharpie line). I will also maybe be purchasing a new sleeve as this one has some heavy wear.. I will precisely measure tomorrow with more time and keep you updated how this goes. Thanks for your time buds!

IMG-20160126-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20160126-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160126-WA0003.jpg

Decided to take some more shots of the headpipe. Also measured/ estimated how much I would have to cut of the headpipe to propery fit it into the midpipe (You can see this by a black sharpie line). I will also maybe be purchasing a new sleeve as this one has some heavy wear.. I will precisely measure tomorrow with more time and keep you updated how this goes. Thanks for your time buds!

Using a caliper in order to get an accurate measurement , first check the ID at the flared end , then measure the OD ahead of the flare. I think you may find the measurement to be the same. If so , then after shortening the pipe simply slide the flared portion onto the newly shortened smaller diameter end so that you now have the same OD as before the cut was made. This will allow the sleeve to fit as before.

Have you had any leo vince pipes in the past? Yes , that's why I commented on the performance gain..Thats exacly it, Its the lowboy. Looks like your right the only solution I see here would be shortening the headpipe. Do you know any ways I could do this, does  it matter if its titanium?The fact that it's Ti will matter only if you need it to be welded, very few welding shops are equipped to weld Ti. BTW I had no idea the lowboy was excellent for low end and torque,Given that info, I 'm wondering why you chose this pipe. Thanks bud!p

Verify the header material before cutting or welding. Ti requires welding in an inert atmosphere or it will be badly damaged. You will need a welder who is experienced with welding Ti thin wall tubing. The interior must be purged and filled with an inert gas and special care is needed to keep the heated areas fully shielded with inert gas until they cool.

Finally completed this mod and decided to keep you guys updated.

The way a shorten/cut the header was by using a "tube cutter tool" I found at home depot for about $20. This thing will do precise cuts around any tubing that being, copper stainless, and titanium. Cutting both a little from my header and from my midpipe to properly fit both. The header is a 250r Leo vince lowboy and the muffler is a FMF making me do this custom fit exhaust system.

https://youtu.be/qDgyRLXPZdo

1456025857684.jpg

Also what's up with all this backfire? Is it because of the exhaust or is it something I should worry about

Backfiring is due to a lean fuel condition caused by the increased exhaust flow. You will need to install richer jetting as well as removing the smog equipment as that also creates backfiring.
  • Like 1

Backfiring is due to a lean fuel condition caused by the increased exhaust flow. You will need to install richer jetting as well as removing the smog equipment as that also creates backfiring.

To run richer jetting am I going to have to change jets? Currently installing jd jet kit. Also if I remove the smog what will change

The "smog" stuff admits filtered air into the exhaust port during part throttle to help burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust.  Its operation is passive and has no effect on power.  

I suspect the backfiring is from lean jetting.  Is the backfire in the carb or exhaust?

Block off kits for the air injection are avail on ebay for about $25. Be aware that CA, and maybe others, check bikes for smog equipment.

Rejetting will make a difference.

The "smog" stuff admits filtered air into the exhaust port during part throttle to help burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust.  Its operation is passive and has no effect on power.  

I suspect the backfiring is from lean jetting.  Is the backfire in the carb or exhaust?

Block off kits for the air injection are avail on ebay for about $25. Be aware that CA, and maybe others, check bikes for smog equipment.

Rejetting will make a difference.

The backfire occurs on the exhaust heavily. I now just jetted to 42 pilot,RED#4, 165 main jet. This is what Dave from JD Jetting recommended me based on my mods. Is this rich? Also if I remove the smog stuff will it affect performance? Can you link one of those kits

Thanks

The smog stuff is passive and does not affect power, but it does clutter up the bike. And it could be the cause of backfire in the exhaust by admitting air at part throttle that allows unburned gas to ignite (which is what it is designed to do). A block off kit solves that prob.

I put a block off kit on the 09 head I used on my 05;  it has a plate to cover the port on the head and a cap to plug the vacuum port on the intake manifold.

• Like 1