Sign in to follow this  

Best 450f for a Tall Novice Rider

Hello ThumperTalk, 

I am in the hunt for a newer 450, 2012 or newer. I am 6' 3" about 210 pounds, I have been looking at the Honda, Kawi, and Yami. My questions are:

Best bike for my size? 

Best bike for reliability? Biggest worry I dont want something that is going to fall apart after a year.

Easy bike to ride for Novice rider?

I understand the power of a 450 and understand taking the risk but i figure with my size and weight i will be able to gain the skills to become a better rider i have owned bikes in the past so im not a noob to the whole motocross world. 

If anybody has ran into the same issues that i am having please let me know. 

Thanks 

What type of riding are  you planning to do?  When did you ride last and what bikes have ridden during your past experience?

Previous bikes I have owned 

2001 yz125 

2008 kx250f

mostly going to be riding track with some trails thrown in the mix. Im trying to stay away from KTM there isn't a dealer close to where i'm going to be located. Is there down side the Kawi they seem to be the best deal at all the dealers im looking at.

Previous bikes I have owned 

2001 yz125 

2008 kx250f

mostly going to be riding track with some trails thrown in the mix. Im trying to stay away from KTM there isn't a dealer close to where i'm going to be located. Is there down side the Kawi they seem to be the best deal at all the dealers im looking at.

If you're buying brand new they are all very close. They all have little quirks but nothing major EXCEPT the new YZ450s have had issues with frame welds and cracking. The RMZ is a 7 year old bike rebranded. Crf is slow, but it's a 450 so still quick, Kawi handles good in a  straight line, KTM is expensive. 

Is there actually a major difference in feel for the Kawi i have heard that it feels big and tall and better for a taller rider. Also is the black coupler really tone down the bike that much, so i can get used to the power for a month or 2 and then go back to stock mapping. 

I wouldn't recommend a 450...

I second that.

Typical testosterone fueled comment about thinking you are a big guy and need a big bike (no offense, just honest/realistic).

Any bike would haul you about fine. Any bike needs to have the suspension done for your weight and anticipated riding.

A 450 would make sense if you were desert riding or in the dunes. Woods, MX, single track, a 250 is more than adequate and a lot less mass to work with.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a 2012 the kawasaki was the best overall machine and won the most shootouts but it is also the biggest and suits a bigger guy the best. Ktm's have there strong points too like the brakes, overall handling, clutch, electric start and pure quality. Hondas were very slow (compared to the competition) but would be better suited for a novice. It is suited for a slightly smaller rider. Yamaha had the 1st generation of the reverse engine and wasn't set up very good and had a very "confused" powerband, but has the nicest handling. Suzuki is basically an 8 year old design (4 then) and puts all of there handling focus into cornering and has no stability which would not be good for a tall guy like you. They also have slower powerbands but not as slow as hondas

Thanks for all the input does a taller seat help with ergos, i didnt have one on my 250 and my knees where so high on the shrouds it was very uncomfortable.