Help! Bought used DRZ400s have quesions.

I picked up a 2001 DRZ400s for a song and a dance.  After pouring through the bike I've come across a few issues.  Bike has an air box with the 3x3 seemingly done but when I pulled the carb to clean it the stock jetting is in the carb.  Has a FMF powercore but I'm not sure if its a slip on or a full exhaust.   I'm going to order the JD kit but that's a whole different thread.  I've ordered a CRF450 rear master cylinder because what was there was not the stock and it was leaking along with having a leak in the line to the caliper. 

The major thing I need help with is that the rubber boot to the carb from the air box doesn't have the hole for the line to the little black oil return box.  I have replaced the hoses to the head and engine but the third one that supposedly goes to the air box boot is missing.  My question is should I just leave it and let it shoot air out? Should I attach a hose and a small filter? Should I attach hose and get the "L" attachment and put a hole in the boot and put it in there?  Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Run a hose off the vapor recovery tank up and over to the left and terminate just above the chain.  No filter, just an open hose.

Is it possible you have the 39mm Keihin FCR carb?  That wold explain no hole in the air boot for the vent hose.

I'll install the hose on the tank when I go through the wonderful process of pulling the carb again. I wish I could say I had the FCR carb but no I have the Mikuni carb. It wouldn't surprise me that the air boot was intended for the other Keihin carb given the state of mix matched parts.  Could that be part of why it is such a tough time getting the boot seated on the carb? I wonder. 

The FCR and the Mikuni air boots are different.  I'm lost on how you have a Mikuni carb air boot with no port for the vent tube.

I never seem to pick up an easy project.  Boot definitely does not have a hole and just barely seems to hold onto the carb when attached. I get around 1/4 inch of it on the carb.  I ordered my JD jet kit from the TT store and when I get it I'll take a picture of the air box and boot when I pull the carb to replace the jets. I'm leaning towards me having an air boot that is intended for the FCR and the prior owner (special case) put the wrong one on.

I know I'd sell the FCR on the side if I had one and I were to sell the bike.  Doubt I'll sell this any time soon.  My JD jet kit, CRF rear master cylinder and fresh brake line are all scheduled to be delivered tomorrow so I'm hoping for a busy weekend.  I'll try and get some pictures up.  The little bit I have ridden this bike I don't really see why everyone calls the DRZ a pig, maybe its because I'm used to my Harley...

I'm going to pull the starter idle gear cover off because its dripping oil and check/replace the gasket.  After I finally get the Philips head screws out (impact driver here I come) would there be any issue with replacing the bolts with allen head bolts or something other than Philips head? Or should I replace them with the OEM assuming I don't strip them taking them out?  This doesn't seem like something I'm going to be taking on and off a lot but I know its worth asking the people with experience.

You can use any replacement screws you like. I choose ones that look like the other case screws - 6mm screw with reduced 8mm hex head.

Perfect, thank you Noble. I appreciate the help and I know I'll have more.  The headlight Isn't OEM, and I'm pretty sure its just a square sealed car headlight that's burnt out.. ugh so much to fix. 

Busy weekend.  Installed new CRF rear master cylinder and brake line. Amazing difference! JD jet kit from TT store went in and it feels like a different bike.  Now for the fun stuff. I took a few pictures of the rubber boot from the air box to see if anyone can identify it because it doesn't seem to be the correct one for my "S" model with a Mikuni carb. The bike seems to run ok with the current setup but if a proper boot might make a difference I'd be open to the suggestion.

20160130_153039.jpg

20160130_153051.jpg

20160130_153100.jpg

20160130_155938.jpg

• Like 1

Busy weekend.  Installed new CRF rear master cylinder and brake line. Amazing difference! JD jet kit from TT store went in and it feels like a different bike.  Now for the fun stuff. I took a few pictures of the rubber boot from the air box to see if anyone can identify it because it doesn't seem to be the correct one for my "S" model with a Mikuni carb. The bike seems to run ok with the current setup but if a proper boot might make a difference I'd be open to the suggestion.

I haven't taken out my S boot before, but it does look like an E boot.

Because it is possibly an E boot might that explain why it is so difficult to get it to mate up with the carb?

Yes. I believe the diameter of the opening is larger. Although, I could totally be off base. If someone with direct knowledge doesn't chime in, I'll get pics when I can.

After a little extra research I found out that I do indeed have an E boot and air box.  I'm now trying to find an S or SM boot to replace.  Anyone think I will run into issues with the S or SM boot fitting on an E air box?

No, no problems with the S/SM boot fitting on an E air box.  That diameter is the same on all air boxes.

• Like 1

No, no problems with the S/SM boot fitting on an E air box.  That diameter is the same on all air boxes.

Awesome. Everyone is so helpful.  Now to shamelessly plug my need for an S/SM air box boot.  *cough* *classifieds* *cough*