Sign in to follow this  

Grease on the fork leg?

SO, how many guys really pack grease betwen the oil seal and the dust wiper on a YZ, like the manual says?  I've never done that step but I was wondering if I'm alone in skipping it.

Used to years ago used to use some vaseline or grease to keep from drying out... but any more I am pretty sure seals are good and it would make dirt actually stick in there.

• Like 1

"Apply the lithium soap base grease on the inner

tube."

Taken directly out of the YZ 125 manual. As I understand it, it says to only apply a thin layer of grease on the inner tube. 

As from personal experience.. don't "pack" it. I did a thin layer once and it was ok, then next time packed it quite properly and had oil dripping down both forks in a matter of minutes of riding.

Don't know how long the seals would hold a thin layer, but I'm definitely doing some research before trying it again.

• Like 1

I do it when installing as well as periodically. I believe the purpose is to keep them from drying out. Just a thin layer, never packed.

Edited by YZJ

After a bike wash, I like to finish up by rubbing suspension fluid or even ATF on the legs to clean them up a bit. Removes the water spots and help keep the seals from drying out.

• Like 2

I don't have time right now to confirm this but I think the Yamaha manual suggests "packing" or liberally filling that gap between the seals.  Not exactly the same as just putting on a coating.

After a bike wash, I like to finish up by rubbing suspension fluid or even ATF on the legs to clean them up a bit. Removes the water spots and help keep the seals from drying out.

I bet you have smooth silky legs also.

Thin layer is all I have ever done.

• Like 1

I don't have time right now to confirm this but I think the Yamaha manual suggests "packing" or liberally filling that gap between the seals. Not exactly the same as just putting on a coating.

I've read some posts of mx guys doing it . I have but don't most of the time. It wipes out fairly quickly.

I remmber a guy keeping a felt pad inside with uber lube on it.

couple times a year I would drop the dust wipers,apply thin layer of grease around tube and compress forks several times! Wipe off excess.

• Like 2