Sign in to follow this  

Saving pistons

I have a 02 yz 250 two stroke. Just changed the top end. What are some precautions I can take to prolong the lifespan of this piston

Just the regular stuff: properly oiled and cleaned air filter, quality 2 stroke oil in sufficient quantity, adequate jetting, and proper warm up will contribute to a longer lasting top end.

I posted a while ago my measurements of pistons coming out of the bike after using different oils. In summary, I got twice as much piston life when I was using a synthetic oil, compared to Yamalube 2r. Use a good oil. I will bump that thread and you'll have to look through it to find my post. It's the premix thread.

I know there is a lot of smart people on here but the most accurate answer to your question is....

(drum roll please)

MANAGE HEAT!

Basically tuning. Tune for your conditions. Tune all the damn time for performance. If you don't want to tune it all the time or the conditions you ride in don't change often then tune it rich. More fuel = cooler engine. 

A YZ or any other bike have a couple applications (woods, hair scrambles, moto, and dune for example) and the heat generated in each varies. Be mindful that if you tune for tight wood then go to the dunes (where heat generation is the greatest) you will likely be lean. If you are lean and pull a long climb in the sand you won't have enough fuel to cool the motor thus causing wear. 

Temp and elevation are other variables that greatly effect tuning ie: create a need to change how you manage heat. 

• Like 1