Sign in to follow this  

First time KYB twin chamber and shock rebuild. OIL WEIGHT QUESTION.

I have a 2007 YZ250 that I'm getting ready to change all the suspenion fluids and replace the shock bumper. I've done plenty of open bath forks but this is my first set of twin chamber I've worked on and first time doing a rear shock. I've watched the RockyMountain videos and purchased the correct tools so I'm feeling confident.

What's the correct weight oil for the shock and forks? And how much should I order? The rear shock looks messy, I don't want to spill it all over and then not have enough to finish the job.

Any other tips or suggestions? The videos seem pretty straight forward but the Yamaha manual is kinda vague and hard to understand. I've also read alot of different things on here but it's hard to separate the good information from the bad.

The forks are super easy, with the right tools. I've used both the KYB fork oil, and also Honda fork oil (5 weight I believe). I would get more than the liter bottle if you are changing the fluids in the cartridge, which you should. Never done the shock myself but planning on it soon. I've watched the same video and it sure does look messy and lots of oil needed.

KYB 5w both ends.  Avoid the Maxima crap.

2L for forks, 1L for shock and you'll have a bunch extra.  I can get two shock bleeds out of 1L if I'm careful.

Maxima fork oil has two much seal swell.   The 3 wt max. shock oil is good stuff.

dont use fork oil in shock, it needs a high viscousity index.

Maxima fork oil has two much seal swell. The 3 wt max. shock oil is good stuff.

dont use fork oil in shock, it needs a high viscousity index.

Why didnt anyone chime about Maxima fork oil having seal swell when I was asking about which Fork oil would be ok for KYB forks. I ordered like 5 bottles of that stuff.

However I ordered the KYB KC2 for the rear shock.

Think I should trade in the Maxima 85-150 for something different?

I like the sound of the Amsoil shock thearpy.

I recommend Silkolene suspension fluids. They have best viscosity index. For example almost 4 times better then KYB. If you ride in very cold or very hot temperatures its extremely important.

Why didnt anyone chime about Maxima fork oil having seal swell when I was asking about which Fork oil would be ok for KYB forks. I ordered like 5 bottles of that stuff.

However I ordered the KYB KC2 for the rear shock.

Think I should trade in the Maxima 85-150 for something different?

I like the sound of the Amsoil shock thearpy.

Yea Silkolene pro 02, I guess I've used tons of shock therapy it's good.

Thanks for all the information guys!

Unfortunately the dirt bike got put on hold. I got in a motorcycle accident the other night. Someone pulled out in front of me when I was riding my street bike. The bike is destroyed but I got lucky, I got messed up but I didn't die or loose any limbs. I can't wait to get back on the dirtbike.

Thanks for all the information guys!

Unfortunately the dirt bike got put on hold. I got in a motorcycle accident the other night. Someone pulled out in front of me when I was riding my street bike. The bike is destroyed but I got lucky, I got messed up but I didn't die or loose any limbs. I can't wait to get back on the dirtbike.

well that sucks.  Glad you are ok, for the most part.  I've always wanted a street bike, but I'm kinda glad I never went that route.

I recommend Silkolene suspension fluids. They have best viscosity index. For example almost 4 times better then KYB. If you ride in very cold or very hot temperatures its extremely important.

Albeit it doesn't really matter a whole lot which brand you use, as long a you get some type of quality oil and not just use something like Wesson oil in your forks......   I would say all the Fork Fluids out there are good and there is some that are better but in the long run I believe they are pretty much the same.   Just like Motor oil in your vehicle.  I never could tell the difference between any of em.

I have used quaker state to amsoil in vehicles and all of em ran just fine.