Sign in to follow this  

Woods bike that can be (license) plated for a slow old guy :)

I've been riding bikes for 20+ years and race an R6, but only have about 5 total days of dirt time, and need more!  There is unfortunately, one requirement and one very strong want to have...  It HAS to be able to have a license plate (regardless of how 'legal' it really is, but needs a headlight), and I really WANT electric start.  The budget is also (unfortunately) crap - $2500 or less.

I live in central PA, so when it's not putting around in the pits at the (asphalt) racetrack, I'll mainly be riding terrain like low-speed woods with only moderate hills, maybe follow some friends around places like Rausch Creek, AOAA, etc. , and general sliding it around in the dirt for practice.  I don't have any problem taking 'the easy line' or not clearing the doubles when buddies on MX bikes start to rip on the faster stuff.  Hell, I had fun on a 4T 125, but I would like something with a bit more power if I'm going to own it.

--I'm used to street bikes going thousands of miles without maintenance, and it seems that dirtbikes are more maintenance intensive regardless if they're a 4T or 2T - Seems like despite the more frequent maintenance, it's stupid-simple and quick to do a top-end vs. messing with the needs of a 4T?

--From what I gather, a KTM EXC-F (Somewhere around 200cc, 2T) is along the lines of what I want and would fit the budget?  Also found a Yammy WR250R for just slightly over the budget that might be able to be negotiated.  Any suggestions are welcome, even a Kawi.  :banghead:

Thanks!

Edited by eskimo1

i am older + short 5-8 + bought an 09 KLX250S new with only 5xx miles on it now! i was sucked in with its tech + figured i could lower it enough NOT, so i will be trading on a simple air cooled low seat XT250 Yami. you gotta be comfy to ride on uneven surfaces + a too tall if only a little makes it harder. i also live i PA the shamokin area, good hunting as there a lot of preowned for sale but you will want a lo mile unbeaten one for sure

Thanks..  Should have mentioned, I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam, so a tall bike isn't a big deal for me.

taller is better for any adventure, or dirt style bikes, many sporty bikes also have tall seats!!

Ever look at a tw 200?

Find a dr400s

I'm starting to see a trend...  😉

What's crazy is a quick Craigslist search for a DRZ400 has the prices firmly in the "WTF" realm.  2001's for $3200, 2006 for $3400, etc...  Similar for the TW200!  2010 for $2800, 2001 for $2900, 2014 for $3000.

That seems crazy to me.  Admittedly, these do look far less "used" than most dirtbikes do..  🙂

I don't know what I misread. For your needs ignore the tw. Short and slow.

Drz400s can be had cheaper. They are almost always above off-road only bike's though.

I see. The tw was for the post under your original.

many riders like myself buy something that don't work, my 09 KLX250S was too tall even after lowering, so i rode little, 5xx miles, it looks + runs new sans some scratches from going down once on loose gravel on a hard surface. i will be looking for 3G when i trade, we will see

I'm starting to see a trend... 😉

What's crazy is a quick Craigslist search for a DRZ400 has the prices firmly in the "&%$#@!" realm. 2001's for $3200, 2006 for $3400, etc... Similar for the TW200! 2010 for $2800, 2001 for $2900, 2014 for $3000.

That seems crazy to me. Admittedly, these do look far less "used" than most dirtbikes do.. 🙂

I noticed similar. New in Canada the drz400 is 1000$ more than a new dr650 :huh: every dealer is firm at a little over 7k but there's deals to be had for the 650 for around 6k cdn with some bonus accessories, or a little less otd as a bare bones bike. The dr650 is a tall, heavy bike, but you should be able to get one new in the U.S. for in around 5000$ with a warranty. Just something to consider.

What are the rules for plating a bike in PA?  Can you plate or convert off-road bikes?  If so, you have many more options.

In Colorado, you can convert just about anything provided you meet the plating requirements and arent limited to factory produced street legal dirt bikes. Do you know what can/cant be done in PA?

The Dr 650 is shorter than the 400. Heavier and squishier though. More street than dirt.

Hey I'd suggest a klx300 for the kind of riding you are doing. You can get lights and a plate my buddy has one ( in Canada). Very fun bike, controls awesome and would be comfortable for your size. It's an awesome 4t bike, I'm really thinking of getting one myself for trail and swamp riding.

What are the rules for plating a bike in PA?  Can you plate or convert off-road bikes?  If so, you have many more options.

In Colorado, you can convert just about anything provided you meet the plating requirements and arent limited to factory produced street legal dirt bikes. Do you know what can/cant be done in PA?

From what I gather, as long as the title says "MC", I can get a plate.  The inspection, though, is where you have to have everything functioning and legal.  However, I don't plan on actually riding it on the street, it's just that one of the tracks I race the R6 on says no more "pit bikes" - everything must be plated, so as long as it's tagged, I'm covered.  🙂

(I've never actually taken *any* of my bikes through inspection - I always figured it was an easy & cheap ticket if I ever got pulled over and he had to write me for SOMETHING.  I keep my stuff in good shape, so it's not like the inspector is going to see anything bad anyway)

From what I gather, as long as the title says "MC", I can get a plate.  The inspection, though, is where you have to have everything functioning and legal.  However, I don't plan on actually riding it on the street, it's just that one of the tracks I race the R6 on says no more "pit bikes" - everything must be plated, so as long as it's tagged, I'm covered.   🙂

(I've never actually taken *any* of my bikes through inspection - I always figured it was an easy & cheap ticket if I ever got pulled over and he had to write me for SOMETHING.  I keep my stuff in good shape, so it's not like the inspector is going to see anything bad anyway)

I think you need a positive answer on getting a plate.  Just from what I have read here, the rules are significantly different by state and it dramatically changes which bike are possibilities.  I am not convinced that as long as the title says MC that you can get a plate.  In fact, i have no idea if PA even titles dirt bikes (they dont out here in Colorado....unless you convert it to a plated bike).

I can tell you it is very nice to have a plate even on a dirt bike.  I never ride on the street, but when we do trail rides, it allows you to easily connect from trail trail where it might drop you out onto a county road or state road, etc.  Also, makes it easy to ride into small towns to pick up fuel.

The state has no idea if it's a dirtbike, a cruiser, or a sportbike - as long as it says "MC" on the title, It can get a plate.  🙂

I've dual sported 2 strokes and loved it. Most folks don't.

Does anyone at the track you know ride dirt? If so beg a ride. Bribe if needed. Its hard to make good choices without some experience.

Do you have anywhere that rents bikes?Its rare but exhists.

I've dual sported 2 strokes and loved it. Most folks don't.

Does anyone at the track you know ride dirt? If so beg a ride. Bribe if needed. Its hard to make good choices without some experience.

Do you have anywhere that rents bikes?Its rare but exhists.

Several of my friends do, and I rode one guy's Honda CRF150 w/suspension work.  Liked the electric start & the suspension, but the motor was un-fun.  Another one I rode was a guy's well setup KTM 300 2T, and I really...really liked it.  It's kinda what set me on the path for a KTM.  His was newer, so I know electric start is out of my price range.  Loved the Rekluse clutch!

Literally all the race guys I asked, no matter what they currently own, have said to get a KTM.  

I wished I had more time to take them out on open terrain, but I went out as long as I could in some dirt fields around the track.

Locally, there is a '06 200 XCW and a '06 250 XC - I'm going to take a look at the 200 today.

Edited by eskimo1