Sign in to follow this  

Trouble starting after sitting 6 months

I have an 83 xr200r which hasn't been ridden since Aug. I went to start it a couple months ago, but it would not start. I drained the old gas out of the carb and tank and let it sit until last night. The bike ran fine when I rode it in Aug. When I begin to kick it over it sounds like it wants to run, and sometimes will run for about a second. It dies whether I give it gas or not. The carbs were taken off and were spotless (only one ride since I last cleaned them). Pilot, main jet, & all the orifices were clean, and I have cleaned carbs before.

I poured a little gas into the cylinder and had a backfire or two. I cannot push start the bike. I may check to see that my timing is still correct, but I am getting frustrated. Other than changing out the old gas, nothing has changed on the bike. The bike was totally rebuilt ~ 2 years ago with less than 10 hours on it since.

Right before I went on the trip in august I put a new head gasket on which involved setting the timing & checking the valves among other things.

Do you use pump gas? Do they use an ethanol blend in Indiana, like they do in Illinois?

Ethanol gums up in carburetors real quick, the last bike I used ethanol in was a honda XL185. 1 kick to start if ridden every day, almost 10 kicks to start if it had been sitting for a week or two.

I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly, changed to 90 octane with no ethanol ($4.00+ per gallon, holy cow!), and the bike started on the first kick whether sitting for a day or a month.

Edited by jesus builtmy hotrod

Pull the plug and hold it touching the head so there's a connection and look for a clean consistent spark. Might have to shut garage door and turn lights off in order to see it. If no spark then try a new plug.

I found with my xr100 that a "block heater" worked wonders when it was below say 40 degrees. I would set a space heater aimed at the cooling fins for an hour or so, until the the opposite side I was hearing was warm to the touch and the case had absorbed good heat. It was on an original 25yo piston, this would help it fire in a kick or two.

Edit: be careful with gas and electric heaters, also, the non ethanol gas as mentioned above is nearly a must for carbureted engines.

Edited by jjjrickey

I set the air gap on the spark advancer to .012. I will check timing later today. Literally nothing has changed on the bike since I rode it last, not even its place in the garage.
Bike has always ran 87 grade pump gas, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Got her to run today. Seems the ignition timing had changed significantly since I last timed it. Fired right up in the ~ 30 degree garage.