14 250f FMF issue

I have the full TI 4.1RCT exhaust from FMF, and ever since i put it on the throttle response has gone to crap.  I have the Jmarmont mapping on it and the bike pulls better mid to top, but the quarter throttle response is nowhere near as good as with the stock exhaust.  Anyone know how to fix this situation? I have heard the 450 boot is good for bottom end and response.  Would reprogramming the ECU through tokyo mods help?

I have the full TI 4.1RCT exhaust from FMF, and ever since i put it on the throttle response has gone to crap.  I have the Jmarmont mapping on it and the bike pulls better mid to top, but the quarter throttle response is nowhere near as good as with the stock exhaust.  Anyone know how to fix this situation? I have heard the 450 boot is good for bottom end and response.  Would reprogramming the ECU through tokyo mods help?

the boot will not help bottom end , my son felt the same way as you , we ended up going to yoshimura , funny the dyno chart the mxa mag testing  didnt show a lose , so i was confused, we were using a really lean aggressive map,to help ,but the yosh just feels better on bottom end

Did you reprogram the ECU? I called FMF and they said the ECU needs to be reprogrammed.  

Get your self the gytr tuner so you can try some different maps, you can try some yamaha  maps , or even mod those maps to your liking, i wouldnt take your ecu out and pay someone to put a map it, unless they would agree to do it over and over untill your happy

Get your self the gytr tuner so you can try some different maps, you can try some yamaha  maps , or even mod those maps to your liking, i wouldnt take your ecu out and pay someone to put a map it, unless they would agree to do it over and over untill your happy

I have that and I can only do so much.  Its $100 for the ecu and after speaking with FMF  and tokyo mods they say it needs to be done with that exhaust

I have that and I can only do so much.  Its $100 for the ecu and after speaking with FMF  and tokyo mods they say it needs to be done with that exhaust

You already have the tuner?

I've had no issues at all running the same FMF system on my bike, but I installed it after engine mods.

no change with stock mapping over the one in your original post?

No, I played with it a little and nothing worked overly well.  The sharp throttle response that is with the stock exhaust is gone and i can't bring it back no matter how much i tinker with it.  So i called FMF and they said i need to send off the ECU because the tuner only does so much.  

you have two posts going on , be carefull that screenshot I saw  said wr450f  at the top , i guess you could call tokyo and ask if they have the ability to change the base map?, I guess what im saying is, the tuner only has the ability to add and subract from your oem 14 base map fuel and timing , so a 14/15/16 all have different base maps , I didnt think anyone other then yamaha had the ability to completley change the base map,example change a 2014 ecu to be a say 16 ecu    the gytr tuner changes timing and fuel in +or - in 4 increments

at three different throttle openings , so pretty much in your situation you only need to be adjusting the 1/8 or 1/4 opening part of the map ,to see if you can find what you want , obviously sounds like you want more timing , try +3 , then on the gas try -3 then +3 to see if the bike  wants more fuel or less fuel, if your not in a huge hurry i will pull the map we were using , did you try the map mxa had listed in the pipe shootout ,it worked pretty well

Edited by fgrote

I appreciate the feedback and that was the idea I came away with as well.  When I spoke with FMF, Tokyo Mods, and Kris Keefer seperately, they all have stated the same thing more or less.  The GYTR tuner does help in areas, however, the whole point of sending off the ECU is to get it correct.  Think of the tuner as a guide, you can adjust a little bit with the fuel and timing, but it does not affect the oxygen.  Tokyo Mods said they have a ton of FMF yamaha owners asking about the same scenario and when they send in the ECU to get remapped you state what fuel you run, and what mods you have.  They have a bank of R&D they pull from(settings) and this apparently wakes up the bike with the exhaust.  Its $100 so its worth a shot, if it doesn't work the exhaust will be up for sale and i will put a Yosh slip on muffler on and call it good.

You could take the bike to a dyno tuner and see where you are with your "tune". The Yamaha tuner doesnt give the precision tuning of a PowerCommander V down low BUT if you know your RPM around a track you are rarely in the very low RPMs. The Yamaha tuner will get the job done with about 10 dyno pulls and a knowledgeable programmer. The Yamaha tuner will give you more than enough window to get it tuned great. Im not sold on a magic California reflash from anyone... My opinion. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback and that was the idea I came away with as well.  When I spoke with FMF, Tokyo Mods, and Kris Keefer seperately, they all have stated the same thing more or less.  The GYTR tuner does help in areas, however, the whole point of sending off the ECU is to get it correct.  Think of the tuner as a guide, you can adjust a little bit with the fuel and timing, but it does not affect the oxygen.  Tokyo Mods said they have a ton of FMF yamaha owners asking about the same scenario and when they send in the ECU to get remapped you state what fuel you run, and what mods you have.  They have a bank of R&D they pull from(settings) and this apparently wakes up the bike with the exhaust.  Its $100 so its worth a shot, if it doesn't work the exhaust will be up for sale and i will put a Yosh slip on muffler on and call it good.

WOULDNT it be easier if you were going to take that route , is to hand over 100 bucks let tokyo email you the map , and you install it with your tuner that you paid 200+ dollars for? just saying??

im not trying to be rude at all , but didnt you invest in that tuner so you could do it your self? take advantage of the tuner , learn to use it, and as another thought you could put the stk pipe back on and use the fmf slip on too, just a thought?

Edited by fgrote

They won't do that because then you could give out the maps they have setup.  Also, I have used the tuner for a while, it isn't a lack of knowing how to use it.  The tuner itself only does so much.  You can't completely reset how your bike runs and go from the ground up.  So for instance when doing the 1/8th to 1/4 throttle.  You can add or subtract fuel and timing.  You still can't mess with the oxygen level.  This allows you to do things yes, but it won't make it perfect by any means.  It places your ability to change the bike in a small window.  That is why sending the ecu off allows the necessary changes and those can be updated into the tuner itself.  As for the FMF slip on, I don't know how well it works, or if i can just put the stock header back on and use the FMF muffler i have already.  

• TT Sponsor

zycki251,

We are sorry to hear about the issue you are having with your FMF pipe. I just had a few questions for you, are you running a Slip-on or a Full System with the FMF header?

• TT Sponsor

Full TI 4.1RCT system with the megabomb header.  I love the fit, finish, looks, and quality of the exhaust.  But it really has lost the throttle response it had stock.  

Sorry for the delay I am speaking with our head of R&D to see if he knows what's going on and any remedies for your issue. Have you done any other mods to the bike other than exhaust?

Sorry for the delay I am speaking with our head of R&D to see if he knows what's going on and any remedies for your issue. Have you done any other mods to the bike other than exhaust?

The bike is stock with DT1 filters and regular tuning from the GYTR tuner that Yamaha provides.  I appreciate the help, speaks volumes from a consumer to producer standpoint.

WHAT ? The only way you can adjust oxygen to the motor is by opening and closing the throttle. You need someone to help you out with this , otherwise you're just peeing into the wind.

Think of the tuner as a guide, you can adjust a little bit with the fuel and timing, but it does not affect the oxygen.  

You can add or subtract fuel and timing.  You still can't mess with the oxygen level.  

• Like 1

I'd love to hear what fmf has to say , like i said my son felt the same , that the exhaust just made the low end softer than stk, but like i said the pipe shootout that mxa did show a dyno graph if im not mistaken ,and horspower didnt dip in the lower rpms , but again im pretty sure there was no torque graph either , we solved the problem with the yoshimura ,,and now have a 900.00 pipe hanging in the garage , i also feel someone at tokyo is taking advantage here and leading him to believe they can flash a new base map in his ecu,or he is confused what they are saying they can or will do.