Sign in to follow this  

Need general advice on a KX250F

Hi. This summer will be my second year back into riding. The last time I rode prior to last summer was 13 years ago if that gives you guys any idea how long i've been away from the sport. The last bike I rode was my 94 KX250 so last spring I picked up a 2001 KX 250. I had fun on it this past summer but I think I am ready to make the switch to a 4 stroke, main reason is that I am not a 16 year old kid anymore and I just don't have the stamina to ride the ole 250 like I used to. I am a weekend warrior who doesn't have a whole lot of time to ride. I was thinking about going with the 450 and the more I think about it, that's just going to kick my a$$ even more to the point where I wont be able to ride all day and just have fun. My 250 2T wears me down pretty fast these days. So has anyone made the switch from a 250 2t to a 250F for a more enjoyable ride or even gone from a 450f to the 250f? I don't plan on racing or anything but I don't want to feel like my bike is a gutless wonder like a 125 2t and have to ride that much harder just to not look like an idiot. Keeping in mind my budget is in the $2,500 range so I would not be able to afford a new 250F. I know I wont know without riding one but I am hoping the local tracks will have test ride days over the summer so I can check them out.

If I had the money I would keep my KX 250 and just get another bike. Since u own both and know where I am coming from do u think I would benefit more from the 250f or am i making a bad choice by getting ride of the 2 stroke for a 4?

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much you can calm down the hit of a 2001 KX 2T. I can't speak for anyone else, but I grew up riding a YZ250. I was a 2-stroke bigot. But I love riding my KXF. It's plush and easy to ride, definitely less tiring than any old 2T I ever rode. Now I just updated my YZ250, so it is a pretty good tractor, but way way more insane than the 4T. I like riding both. If I had to keep one, it would probably be the KXF, because it's so easy to ride. But I enjoy the thrill of the YZ too. Glad I don't have to choose.

I'm in my 50s. In my 30s or even 40s, might keep the YZ over the KXF.

Edited by LSHD

I am 42. My last dirt bike was 15 years ago and it was a KDX200...lol  That was a great bike. I don't race, I just like to ride trails. 

I am not a fan of mixing fuel and oil. I don't have the love of 2 strokes like you do, as i always thought they were harder to ride. Always wanting to spin the tire. 

I just bought a 2011 KX250F.  I freaking LOVE this bike. It has been super fun.

Just had the best riding day I have had forever last Sunday. Went with my buddy who rides a CRF450X. His bike has a TON of power, but it is much harder to ride than my KX250F.  My bike has a full system FMF and has Factory Connection suspension. It has more than enough power, and the ride is really plush. The power is really easy to control. 

Plus the four strokes do better climbing stuff and do better in muddy conditions IMHO. 

You just have to be on top of the valve adjustment. 

And thank you for your service BTW. I joined the army when i was 17, I needed my butt kicked and they did that...lol I did a job in the army. People who do a deployment actually 'serve". 

Edited by THEMANRACING

LSHD, I am like you as well since I grew up riding 2 strokes as I went from a KX 80 to a KX 250 and skipped the whole 125 deal lol. I had not troubles as a kid riding my 250 2t, I could ride for hours and stop to take a leak, drink, eat and go right back at it. Now that I am 30 ( younger than you guys lol) my body feels old and I can barely ride for 20 min straight on my 250 without stopping. I would say I cant handle the 250 2t, I would just say I am way out of shape haha. I have a toddler at home and a baby on the way so I am pretty limited to how much free time I have to ride. I will probably only be riding a couple times a month so I would have a hard time getting in better shape for a bigger bike. I wish I could keep my 2t though just to have for whenever :goofy:. THEMAN, thanks for your input my first bike was a 1990 Suzuki DR 100 4t then a KX 80 and the last bike my 94 KX 250 so I pretty much only know 2T's. Last time I rode Jeremy Mcgrath and Jeff Emig were the new stars lol. I am not saying I don't like my bike but maybe something more practical for a weekend warrior like myself as I don't plan on racing either. My friend has a CRF450 and I rode his at the end of the day at the track and I liked it and didn't have an issue but I wasn't riding hard because I was worn out so I rode a medium pace. My biggest issue is the arm pump, I don't recall having arm pump like this as a kid but its crazy. And my friend I rode with back in the day had a KDX 220.

LSHD, I am like you as well since I grew up riding 2 strokes as I went from a KX 80 to a KX 250 and skipped the whole 125 deal lol. I had not troubles as a kid riding my 250 2t, I could ride for hours and stop to take a leak, drink, eat and go right back at it. Now that I am 30 ( younger than you guys lol) my body feels old and I can barely ride for 20 min straight on my 250 without stopping. I would say I cant handle the 250 2t, I would just say I am way out of shape haha. I have a toddler at home and a baby on the way so I am pretty limited to how much free time I have to ride. I will probably only be riding a couple times a month so I would have a hard time getting in better shape for a bigger bike. I wish I could keep my 2t though just to have for whenever :goofy:. THEMAN, thanks for your input my first bike was a 1990 Suzuki DR 100 4t then a KX 80 and the last bike my 94 KX 250 so I pretty much only know 2T's. Last time I rode Jeremy Mcgrath and Jeff Emig were the new stars lol. I am not saying I don't like my bike but maybe something more practical for a weekend warrior like myself as I don't plan on racing either. My friend has a CRF450 and I rode his at the end of the day at the track and I liked it and didn't have an issue but I wasn't riding hard because I was worn out so I rode a medium pace. My biggest issue is the arm pump, I don't recall having arm pump like this as a kid but its crazy. And my friend I rode with back in the day had a KDX 220.

I and JACOB429 (another TT member) hit Wambaw trail today. I rode my new-to-me YZ250 for the first time, and he split the time between his XR200 and my KX250F. He LOVED the KX, which is night and day better than an old XR. Rode it like he was possessed. We rode South loop first, took a rest, then rode the North loop. About 12 miles of the North loop is now open (just opened today). At 53, I felt pretty good on the old YZ, with just a hint of a wrist cramp putting my helmet back on after a break.

That sounds like it must have been a fun ride. I am not sure what I'm gonna do yet. A guy has a 07 kx250f that he is interested in possibly trading for mine and he is asking $1,600. But I would want them to be close as I don't have extra extra cash at the moment to spend. I'm hoping for and even up trade since bikes like mine are going for $1,800 of craigslist. We'll see how it goes and if not owell, I know my bike runs great anyway. I was actually thinking of throwing a 9 oz flywheel weight on it to tame her down and that might just be my happy medium.