Sign in to follow this  

16 350 XCF-W

Looking to pick up a 16 350 XCF-W Six Days next Tuesday. I picked up a used 2004 CRF150F for my wife and need to pick up a bike for myself. Looked at a few used bikes but just couldn't find anything that I wanted. 

Is there some things that I should replace before I start riding it? Looking through some of the other posts it looks like some rad guards and possibly the skid plate. Any other thoughts or suggestions? 

I really like the radiator guards that they come with. Only thing that's a must is gearing, and I went with flex levers, but that or hand guards.

Edited by Levi808
  • Like 1

Oh yeah and they come with the wrong rear sprocket, make sure you get the supersprox. Dealer paid for mine. I ordered a bigger one. Gearing halfway there!

• Like 1

The 350 XCF-W really doesn't have much need of "uncorking".

There is no smog gear on it, it has proper gearing for the tight stuff and the XCF-W map is significantly better than the EXC map.

From an uncorking perspective the only thing I would do would be to adjust the TPS to ..62 - .64  to make it run a little richer. This gives a bit more power and helps it run cooler.  Go to tpstool.com to find out about the tool..cheap and handy.

Like the others say..armour the bike (minimum: rad guards, bash plate with side wings and bark busters) and yourself up as best you can...then go ride.

• Like 2

The 350 XCF-W really doesn't have much need of "uncorking".

There is no smog gear on it, it has proper gearing for the tight stuff and the XCF-W map is significantly better than the EXC map.

From an uncorking perspective the only thing I would do would be to adjust the TPS to ..62 - .64  to make it run a little richer. This gives a bit more power and helps it run cooler.  Go to tpstool.com to find out about the tool..cheap and handy.

Like the others say..armour the bike (minimum: rad guards, bash plate with side wings and bark busters) and yourself up as best you can...then go ride.

Thanks, just ordered the TPS tool. Going to wait on armor and see what the dealer has to offer and at what discounts, at least the salesman stated they would offer some good discounts. 

Just need some of the snow to melt off to go ride!

Thanks, just ordered the TPS tool. Going to wait on armor and see what the dealer has to offer and at what discounts, at least the salesman stated they would offer some good discounts. 

Just need some of the snow to melt off to go ride!

What part of Idaho are you located in?

BTW, what travertt said is correct in that It doesn't "need" uncorking.  But if you do, you will make a really good trail bike into a really great trail bike.  The ~5hp gain you'll get after uncorking will be most noticeable when you need to loft the front end over a log or some other trail obstacle while going trail speed.  Without it, the stock power curve is so linear that it will make you have to dump the clutch and add more body english to get that front end up.

They do come from the factory running on the lean side so the tps tool is a good idea.  If you uncork it, the tps tool is a must!

From an uncorking perspective the only thing I would do would be to adjust the TPS to ..62 - .64 to make it run a little richer. This gives a bit more power and helps it run cooler. Go to tpstool.com to find out about the tool..cheap and handy.

Maybe sirthumpalot will need to correct me, but doesn't adjusting the tps up a bit mainly richen up the bike in the 0-1/4 throttle range? I was under the impression that above 1/4 it doesn't do much. It doesn't seem like a .06 (on my 500 exc) increase would be much when compared to a fully open throttle at almost 3.0 (if my memory's correct).

What part of Idaho are you located in?

BTW, what travertt said is correct in that It doesn't "need" uncorking.  But if you do, you will make a really good trail bike into a really great trail bike.  The ~5hp gain you'll get after uncorking will be most noticeable when you need to loft the front end over a log or some other trail obstacle while going trail speed.  Without it, the stock power curve is so linear that it will make you have to dump the clutch and add more body english to get that front end up.

They do come from the factory running on the lean side so the tps tool is a good idea.  If you uncork it, the tps tool is a must!

I'm just outside Naples at the base of the mountains right there. Where are you located? 

I'll have to read up on uncorking it. My mechanic skills and knowledge on a bike are limited at best. 

Edited by Redrud

I'm just outside Naples at the base of the mountains right there. 

I'll have to read up on uncorking it. My mechanic skills and knowledge on a bike are limited at best. 

Oh heck, you're not too far from me.  I'm in Athol.

Since you ride in this area, you might want to look at a Bullet Proof swingarm guard.  KTM casts the chain guide mounts to the underside of the swing arm which exposes them to the half buried rocks we find all over our trails.  You can see in my TT garage the accessories I put on my 2015 and don't regret any of them.

Also, If you're picking up your bike from CDA Powersports they have a few discounts off your bike available (~$500 worth) they usually won't tell you about unless you ask.  All you have to be is a Costco member, and have your card, for one discount and tell them Experience Powersports in Moses Lake doesn't charge shipping and setup fees and they will match that.  They also will give you 10% discount on parts and accessories at the time you buy your bike and give you the discount all the time if you're a member of PANTRA.

Hope to see you out on the trails this Spring!  If you're willing to drive into CDA, I probably can help you out on your bike mechanical skills too.  👍

Oh heck, you're not too far from me.  I'm in Athol.

Since you ride in this area, you might want to look at a Bullet Proof swingarm guard.  KTM casts the chain guide mounts to the underside of the swing arm which exposes them to the half buried rocks we find all over our trails.  You can see in my TT garage the accessories I put on my 2015 and don't regret any of them.

Also, If you're picking up your bike from CDA Powersports they have a few discounts off your bike available (~$500 worth) they usually won't tell you about unless you ask.  All you have to be is a Costco member, and have your card, for one discount and tell them Experience Powersports in Moses Lake doesn't charge shipping and setup fees and they will match that.  They also will give you 10% discount on parts and accessories at the time you buy your bike and give you the discount all the time if you're a member of PANTRA.

Hope to see you out on the trails this Spring!  If you're willing to drive into CDA, I probably can help you out on your bike mechanical skills too.  👍

Awesome sir and thank you for the heads up on that. Yes I'll be heading to CDA Powersports on Tuesday. They guys told me last week it was still in the crate, but should have it setup by the end of this week. So unless he calls me and says something different I should have it Tuesday. 

I'll take you up on the offer for help too.  :D

I got a friend that lives in Athol that I was in the Navy with. So I'm down in that area sometimes. 

Maybe sirthumpalot will need to correct me, but doesn't adjusting the tps up a bit mainly richen up the bike in the 0-1/4 throttle range? I was under the impression that above 1/4 it doesn't do much. It doesn't seem like a .06 (on my 500 exc) increase would be much when compared to a fully open throttle at almost 3.0 (if my memory's correct).

Raising the TPS voltage makes the ECU think the throttle is a tiny bit more open across the board, from idle to the top. But you are correct that the difference is most noticeable at the bottom. Say the adjustment adds .2% to what the ECU thinks the throttle is open. When the throttle is only open 1%, making the ECU think the throttle is open 1.2% is a big deal. But when the throttle is open 95%, making the ECU think it's open 95.2% isn't nearly as significant.

My '16 350 XCF-W came with a skid plate.  The only things I'm doing to it are Enduro Engineering radiator guards, KTM branded Cycra hand guards and used the TPS tool to adjust the TPS to 0.62 volts.  It was 0.58 volts stock which is under factory spec.  There was a noticeable improvement just bringing it from 0.58 to 0.60.  So I'd definitely recommend the TPS tool even if you just want to confirm it's at the correct setting from the factory. 

• Like 1

Tps adjustment counter acts some of the negative inputs if the stock exc map , the main benefit can be obviously felt in the zero to 1/4 throttle range.

Sithumps testing is with the end cap screen piping installed , Id say for that set up, the tps adjustment alone is usable. I was never happy with tps alone, once end cap was decreened, as it was still lean as far as I was willing to go with tps setting.  and then once past the .64 area, I started seeing negative throttle quality issue.

The tps tool is valuable, cause majority of bikes are out of spec off the dealers floor.

Bottom line set the tps and get a better map for best performance.

Bottom line set the tps and get a better map for best performance.

OP's bike is an XCF-W....the map that came with that bike is already much better than the EXC map.  Not sure the (quite likely) hassle of re-mapping to the EU map from an XCF-W map is worth it.

• Like 2

My mistake, my focus was thinking exc 500, wrong thread I guess.  I had a dyno chart one time of the xcw 500 and it does have less opportunity for improvement with stock parts, through different mapping.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1