Sign in to follow this  

The CRF450x wins again

http://www.cyclenews.com/2016/01/article/ricky-brabec-tops-winter-class-national-hare-hound/

We are so conditioned /trained by those that sell us stuff (I think the rapid changes/advances in consumer electronics got us on this path), that we feel like we always need new.  Newer is better, different is better!! Right???  Lots of time it is not really better, it is just different.  and more expensive.  Often it is the illusions of better, those changes increase costs right through the entire supply chain, obsoletes spare parts you may have, makes it less likely to get parts in stock at the local dealer etc  increases costs for this already expensive sport.  

So there are many side to the discussion on is different worth the downsides it brings? (some changes are really great and very worth it, do not get me wrong)   But Change for the sake of change?  that is usually a waste of resources, better keep the product the same and just get different plastic, decals etc

Bottom line, this bike must have been a great design in 2005, it can still enter and wins races against 2016 products.  It is still a good solid bike.

Prep this bike ready to ride or race, set it up with the exact same stuff ( o-ring chain, same brand tires, tubes, hand guards, amor, etc etc all parts added the exact same, there is huge range in after market parts weights, tires and tubes can differ by several pounds each, batteries an be several pounds different) and now weigh the 450x compared to the other bikes ready to ride or race.   Actually weigh it the way that you will ride it.  Do not believe the mags or especially the brochure weights, they are often wrong (always too low, never wrong showing too high,!!

The 450x is still a great bike, the brain washed consumer in me still wants to see new and improved and different.  It will suck to fire sale all my spares and toss spare wheel sets etc etc.  Let's se what 2017 brings us...... can't help but wonder if newer will really be that much better than what we already have.

• Like 1

That bike is as much (or more R) than an X.  No e-start.  No battery.  R airbox.  R cases.

For all intents and purposes, it is a 2008 CRF450R with a new 450X frame and transmission.

I followed Ricky for one pass during bomb run practice in the morning just so I could a.) follow him because he was wearing his HRC/Dakar jacket which was way cool (no, a slow out of shape 40A rider can't keep up with him no matter how hard I would try) and b.) tell him when he stopped that I really appreciated his ride in Dakar and to wish him luck for the race.

Honda NEEDS to build a new 450X because simply put, new sells.  Old does not.  No one in their right mind should go plunk down the money on a new 450X when an 11 year old garage queen is the same darn bike.  Flame me if you want, but it is just simple fact.  I know that anyone can make a 450X a stupid fast bike with a few simple (although costly) mods.  But it is still an OLD bike, that looks like an old bike even if new.  Honda doesn't care, and the fact that we keep buying a bike that they paid off all the tooling for years ago just lets their accountants laugh all the way to the bank on a daily basis.

It should be noted that the Ox Motorsports guys have ditched the X this year (other than in Mexico) and are now on Rs for all other events (Big6 GPs, etc...).

Edited by eastreich

As somebody who doesn't race anymore, I'm glad this bike has been made so long. Parts galore!

Having said that, I bought an 05 garage queen for cheap. I wouldn't buy a brand new one.

That bike is as much (or more R) than an X.  No e-start.  No battery.  R airbox.  R cases.

It should be noted that the Ox Motorsports guys have ditched the X this year (other than in Mexico) and are now on Rs for all other events (Big6 GPs, etc...).

The engine is all X except for the head...cases are X, airbox is X.

Even JCR switched to the R for GP's years ago...but they all still use the X for all desert races.

I see a lot of desert wins, are there any enduro or single track wins?

None in my woodsy area. No one even shows up with one. I am a total Honda guy but the X is a top heavy sow pig in the woods.