Recommend DOT knobbies for XR650L

Knobbies on the XRL are great as long as you realize you will only get about maybe 2000 miles tops on the rear.  I run dual sport tires on my XRL and my KTM 950  my favorite is the Metzler Enduro 3  but they are not the cheapest I get about 4000 miles on the rear but they are NOT a knobbie not great in mud but everything else is pretty good.

The dot michelin ac-10 i ran in the past, and the current tire i am using  which is the dirt only cst surge....both wear the same. The rear is good for 1000 km( 600 miles) on both tires! I don't mind because i want maximum grip and stability ripping through the woods, breaking hard and such. I went with a milder " dual sport tire ", that got a lot of great reviews in order to get more mileage.....and it scared the hell out of me off-road. A lesson learned.

I been running MotoZ, I got about 1500 miles out of the rear.  It really depends on where you ride the most. if you are going to be on dirt most of the time I would look into non dot tire too. but dunlop 606 you cant go wrong.

I really like my teraflex 140/80.  Its huge and a beast

Yup for deep mud & deep soft sand, it tractors great. I have not bought one lately, but the last time I looked, the price was climbing. They used to be around $55.00. Yup, I just found them & still sold at m and h; (the pic does not do it justice, it has tall knobs) 

http://www.mandhtires.com/Teraflex-Tires/TERAFLEX-140-80-18--M105#.VrtA28JOXmQ

I bet it's sandy and/or muddy where you ride... it's like a super-swamper for a bike in that stuff!

Well lately I haven't been driving much (which is why I decided to sell my BRP) but when I do run I mostly ride on hard packed dirt roads but there are always mud holes along the way.  I love this tire on the road and hard packed surfaces you need to break it in for 200kms because its really slick until then.  The compound lasts forever.  Last tire I got 3000-3500km of hard driving with about 30%-40% pavement 60%-70% offroad

Edited by D0T-C0M

Yup. I did some burnouts with  fresh Teraflex, to speed breaking in, otherwise, first thing on streets, it would be dangerous.

Yup. I did some burnouts with  fresh Teraflex, to speed breaking in, otherwise, first thing on streets, it would be dangerous.

That must be some strange rubber compound.  I can usually break in a tire in 10 miles of riding.  Of course, California uses more abrasive asphalt mixtures than other states, because tires don't last as long here either. :ride:

That must be some strange rubber compound. I can usually break in a tire in 10 miles of riding. Of course, California uses more abrasive asphalt mixtures than other states, because tires don't last as long here either. :ride:

The problem is not the compound but rather at the end of the lug there is a recessed logo cast in the lug and it decreases the tire contact.

I think part of it is the lugs flex reaaaaaly easily when new, and actually toughen up a bit with some heat cycles.