Shinko R505 Hybrid Cheater Tires ? Anyone heard of these?

R505.jpg?style=normal&maxwidth=200Is this maybe like a 216x gummy that i use now? Trying to get some feedback to see if anyone knows about this tire...I guess its fairly new?

Edited by mosquitofire

It's their intermediate/hard terrain tire. I don't know anything about the 504/505 set exactly, but I use the 524/525 soft/intermediate here in the rocks and roots and love them. They grip like a trials tire on the slick rock stuff yet still hook up great in mud and pea gravel. And the added bonus that they wear like iron and are cheap. If the 504/505 are as good on hard pan and desert terrain, it'll be hard to go wrong with them IMO.

It's their intermediate/hard terrain tire. I don't know anything about the 504/505 set exactly, but I use the 524/525 soft/intermediate here in the rocks and roots and love them. They grip like a trials tire on the slick rock stuff yet still hook up great in mud and pea gravel. And the added bonus that they wear like iron and are cheap. If the 504/505 are as good on hard pan and desert terrain, it'll be hard to go wrong with them IMO.

Thanks for the response...Thinking of giving it a try...

I just picked one up, hope it works good in the rocks!

It looks like a M-16 with very squishy knobs.

I just picked one up, hope it works good in the rocks!

It looks like a M-16 with very squishy knobs.

Pretty please do a follow up on this post. I really am curious about how it works. I just love the "gummy" tires for the terrain i ride using a drilled out bib mousse...

I second the 525 as being an excellent tire. Curious to see what the opinions of the 505 are.

Pretty please do a follow up on this post. I really am curious about how it works. I just love the "gummy" tires for the terrain i ride using a drilled out bib mousse...

We have plenty of snow on the ground now, but I hope to make a trip to (rocky) Arkansas in March.

We have plenty of snow on the ground now, but I hope to make a trip to (rocky) Arkansas in March.

Stop by the Chadwick use area on your way to or from.. :)

Reminds me of that other hybrid tire everyone was raving about last year.  Looks interesting, and affordable.

Reminds me of that other hybrid tire everyone was raving about last year.  Looks interesting, and affordable.

It looks good and the knobs look taller than an FIM tire...

Stop by the Chadwick use area on your way to or from.. :)

It's been a few years since I rode at Chadwick, I hear they opened more single track on the north section is that true??

It's been a few years since I rode at Chadwick, I hear they opened more single track on the north section is that true??

All the north (Strawberry Ridge) side of the Camp Ridge day use area is bikes only now. All the trails are healing and returning to single track, plus all the previously "illegal" trails on that side are now legal.

I've been really impressed with the Shinko 520 18" rear that I've been using lately.  REALLY grippy on rocky stuff, and claws its way up just about anything.  For how gummy it is, it's wearing very favorably too.

I ran a 505a I think. Same tire? Rear on my 525 dual sport. Great tire for the money. Dunlop 606 performance at 60% the cost.

Running a 520 now with Tubliss. Happy so far.

Rode a bike with the soft terrain in sand . Great.

Shinkos are now what maxxis was before everbody knew.

Does anybody know how heavy this tire is?  This is the Hybrid R505 not to be mistaken for the 505 which is a different tire.  The tire weight is my only hesitation to run these hybrid tires.

Does anybody know how heavy this tire is?  This is the Hybrid R505 not to be mistaken for the 505 which is a different tire.  The tire weight is my only hesitation to run these hybrid tires.

Unless you're racing MX what difference does a pound or so make?  If you're riding off road, if the tire works, use it.

Unless you're racing MX what difference does a pound or so make? If you're riding off road, if the tire works, use it.

I'm on a CRF230F pushing 17-18 horsepower. 4-5 lbs on unsprung weight I can feel. Especially unsprung rotational mass. It's affects acceleration and handling.

I can't find a 505 hybrid listed anywhere. Where are you guys finding these? If they are on par ( performance wise) with the MT16, then I would be interested in one.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By racingwithbigt
      In Search Of supermoto wheels looking for 20mm axle but will consider others if the price is right. Looking to put them on my DRZ400e send pics! I am in Grand Rapids Mi you can call or text also: 6 one 6 for 06 nine 7 nine 4.
      ALSO looking for aftermarket exhaust.
      Oversize tank prefer yellow.
      DRZ SM radiator shrouds and white number plates.
      Soft panniers or travel bags. 
      Trailtec or stock speedometer set up.
    • By Colton C
      Hey guys I like to ride out in the desert and it’s my first time buying new tires for my bike just wondering what type or brand of tire I should buy that’s best for riding out there. Thanks
    • By Bryan Bosch
      From suspension setup to power delivery, tires play a critical role in the performance of Monster Energy Supercross bikes. Learn more as Dunlop explains all of the variables that go into pre-race tire selection.

• By suppresst
      I live in Michigan where the trails are largely loam with occasional stretches of pure deep sugar sand, as well as hard packed dirt (and the loam or dirt may have some rocks in it, and of course the dirt can get muddy, and the trails often have roots and in the fall leaves, sometimes wet leaves, all over the trail).
      My bike came from factory with Pirelli MT 320s which are, as near as I can tell, an all terrain intermediate tire that I've been pretty happy with except for one thing - when, on a loamy or dirt trail, I have to transition to pure, deep sand. 
      Now the Pirellis are supposed to be inflated to about 16 psi but as near as I can tell most riders in Michigan, including me, ride with the rear tires at about 12 psi and the fronts around 8 psi. We reduce the air pressure as then the softer, flattened tires gives more traction in the sandy sections of Michigan trails. Now in reality, I may even deflate my front down to as little 6 or 4 psi, and rear to 10 or 8. Why? Because traction in Michigan sand is variable depending on climate. If it is wet and cool, even deep sand gives reasonable traction. If it is hot and dry the sand is highly unstable providing minimum stability. Of course, the problem with letting out so much air is that most of the time I (we) in Michigan are on loam or hard dirt, with roots and rocks interspersed, so it's unwise to ride with too little air in the tires. 
      Now, no matter how experienced one is with sand, if is possible after riding a long stretch in dirt or loam to make a possibly serious mistake when one encounters the sand. Almost invariably my most serious mistakes happen in sand. It's usually a function of the front tire digging in to hot, dry sand or washing out. I want to emphasize how dangerous this is. If you don't often encounter hot, dry sand in your riding then you may not be able to appreciate the challenge that sand can be, especially when riding in proximity to trees (we have lots of trees and sand in Michigan). 
      I was watching the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross race held at Southwick (on my computer) in 2017 and I was surprised to see how many (not all) of the top riders were uncomfortable with the sand at Southwick, and there were a lot of crashes. Aaron Plessinger took a bad spill on a fairly flat straightaway when his front tire washed out and then dug into the sand. It was then that it dawned on me that if the pros struggle with sand, then I need to be proactive and perhaps more aggressively seek solutions.
      I'm starting with tires, but my research raises more questions than provides answers so far -
      1.) Pure sand tires, aka. "paddle tires" are too extreme for typical Michigan trails, which are mostly loam.
      2.) So called "sand and mud" tires like the Dunlop Geomax MX12 are purported to be of a firmer rubber compound than a standard off road or MX tire, because the manufacturer wants a "firm" tire to to "dig in" and get traction in sand and mud. Conversely, they use a soft rubber compound in bikes that frequent hard surfaces like rock. The soft rubber is supposed to grip the hard surface better. However, here I (we) in Michigan are DEFLATING tires to get them flatter and softer, so why would I want buy a tire with an even stiffer rubber compound (here in Michigan, when riding in sand, if you can't depress the knobbies on your front tire with your fingers you have too much air in the tire - they have to squish, or you're risking the tire will dig in, or wash out, and throw you off bike).
      3.) Sand and Mud tires don't have the regular knobby configuration, as they are designed to push sand mud and the self-clean, but then the problem becomes, if one puts "sand and mud" tires on a dirt bike and 80% of the trail is loam or hard packed dirt, is the cure worse than the disease? What's it like riding a sand and mud tire on loam or firm dirt?
      In short, while I could stick with a general purpose tire, and continue to deflate, it's those hair raising episodes in sand that compel me to seek a better solution. Any words to the wise out there?
    • By Michael S
      I'm looking for a front tire for my 200XC, I ride mostly sand, soft loamy dirt, and a little bit of that tacky red carolina clay. Like most 15 year olds I don't have a whole lot of extra money lying around as my only income is during summer and fall when I'm cutting grass and raking leaves so I can't be spending 80 dollars on a tire. My bike still has the original front tire and it's been patched so many times I believe there is more patch than actual tire, the thing is awfully dry and missing a lot of sideknobs and is probably too sketchy to continue riding on. What front tire will last a fair amount of time, perform well on the mentioned terrain, and not kill my wallet? thanks.