Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×

07- Rear brake pedal bottoms out over braking bumps

Hi guys, 

I noticed on hard braking bumps my brake pedal when constantly held down bumps down lower and lower, until there's almost no more solid power to it. I haven't had them fade out on me, but its not a good feeling for the pedal to go down lower and lower under pressure.

Running EBS 600 rear brake fluid and changed it about 10 rides/races ago. Rear pads are new. Rotor is factory and has not been replaced.

Front brakes are decent, they sometimes chirp down rocks but are decent now that I got a new front tire.

Any thoughts on what makes the rear pedal go lower and lower over braking bumps when constantly holding it? Air? bad disk? technique?

Edited by Eric Schrader

I can only say as a former car tech, when we experienced this we would bleed the brakes first. If it persisted, we'd rebuild the master cylinder or put a rebuilt one on. I've never experienced it on a dirtbike.

A slightly bent disc will push the pads back out and give you that affect.  You might want to pull that off first and check to make sure it is not bent.

If that checks out, I would bleed the crap out of it, the rear brake is way easier than the front to bleed.  You can go to any auto place or harbor freight and get a $8 brake bleeder kit.

If that checks out I would order a rebuild kit and rebuild it completely. 

If none of that works I don't know what to tell you lol.

Talked to a brake guy at last weekends race. He said it might be that the stock lines are not working properly. When I mentioned SS lines, he said they are super sensitive compared to the OEM plastic ones and it takes some getting use to.

When trees hit my front brake lever, I like the fact my wheels dont instantly lock and shoot me over the bars, but I also like the idea of less effort to brake.