270 Kit

Anyone using the Cylinder Works 270 kit on their FX?  If so, please provide some feedback/commentary. Also did you have to do anything to the mapping?

I also understand that Athena has just released one.

Dave

I installed one on my wr. Setup like an fx so it would be apples to apples. So far, I am still breaking it in but the former fuel and ign map will not work. The bike it way rich right now. Need much more testing to get it right though. So far, I've leaned out the fuel 2 points across the board. Still runs perfect. Haven't checked out the top end yet as I've been keeping the rpm low and loading it. Just changed the oil so I'm ready to let'r rip but now its 16° outside.

I've ridden a regular 14 250F with the same 270 kit and the day they were tuning it. they went leaner.I felt the bike carried 3rd in the woods better as opposed to downshifting to second in the turns and tight stuff. The bike did appear to have a louder exhaust note as well. I will ask for the map settings and you can try them out.

Just took the wr out for a little spin with a new tune. The tune I did use was a bit rich with the 270 so I left the timing where it was and leaned the fuel out a bit. Very nice! 3rd gear roll on wheelies no problem. So far pretty happy. Going out next weekend to put some real time on it. A buddy of mine has the fx and is going to go the high comp piston and stage 2 cam set in his. Looking forward to trying that out. Good thing he's paying for the gas...

He also machined a few oz's off the flywheel, says it free'd up the rev a bit...hmmm.

• Like 2

I have a CW kit on my FX. Just rode it today in the snow. I like it. I was concerned that the bike wouldn't lug down as low as the stock cylinder but it was fine. No stalling and it definately lifts the front end up much easier with the throttle. I'm very happy with it. Oh we did do a remap as stock isn't the greatest.

Edited by camman

Ordered mine last night.  My next race is an enduro two weekends from now.  I'll probably take my time installing this weekend.  I've been inside the old yzf motor a ton of times but I've only cracked the head on the 14 once to install a cam.  Only thing that concerns me is getting the throttle body out of the way.  The old carb was so nice and easy.  Anything to look for when removing or is it pretty simple.  I'll be pulling the manual and reading it daily until the kit comes in!

Ordered mine last night.  My next race is an enduro two weekends from now.  I'll probably take my time installing this weekend.  I've been inside the old yzf motor a ton of times but I've only cracked the head on the 14 once to install a cam.  Only thing that concerns me is getting the throttle body out of the way.  The old carb was so nice and easy.  Anything to look for when removing or is it pretty simple.  I'll be pulling the manual and reading it daily until the kit comes in!

Its not bad once you figure out how all the clips unclip. No two connectors are the same so you can't mix it up going back together. It still sucks more then a carb though.

I have not gotten the mapping yet from my buddy he's been too busy to bring the tuner home to hook up and get the map. Pretty sure you will want to go leaner on fuel. Don't think the timing was adjusted.

So for those of you that installed the BB did you every mic your oem piston or check the ring gap clearance or cylinder specs? Did anyone check compression or do a leak down test?   I'm just curious.  I'm sometimes to cheap so I don't want to replace things.  but I know it can also be cheap insurance to do so.  I saw that dirtbike test pulled apart a 100 hour fx and every part was perfectly in spec. 

I just wonder...well I know we all want the BB...but if you were just replacing a stock oem piston with another.   Does it really need it at 100 hours. 

BTW I plan on measuring everything and getting leakdown test.  Just out of curiosity.

I checked my stock ring gap which was within tolerance. Pretty impressed. Mine had 57 hours when I pulled it. Didnt get a chance to ride much last year hope to do far more this year. All my valve clearances were right on the money in the middle too.

Well it's all together!  About the only pita parts of the install was pulling apart all the electronics for the first time.  Give me a damn carb you can just pull off the back of the cylinder any time!  Only other thing that sucked was the wrist pin clip.  Took about an hour last night pulling apart all the ancillary parts and getting it down to the valve cover.  Tonight I got it installed an 100 % buttoned back up.  Started on 5th kick.  Very noticeable change in the exhaust note.  I'm really excited as i've always liked this big as a big bore.  The stock motor had 117 hours and was never open up. Valves didn't move since day one.  Measured the ring gap and it was perfect.  Cylinder looked great.  My buddy has good tools and I'll mic the piston and cylinder but they have zero scoring.  There was only one weird thing that I'm going to start a new post on for more opinions.  I was shocked at the carbon build up on my piston.  It actually was covered in like a wet sludge of carbon...jetting???

Bike gets it's first ride next weekend at and enduro in south carolina.  Going to start with ignition all set to zero's and fuel all set at -1 and go from there. 

Got out this weekend and put about 8 hours on it. All of it was on sugar sand so its hard to see what is going to be like on hard ground. With my current tune, I did have one whiskey throttle moment. Bike has great power delivery! So far, the best mod I've done yet.

I got mine out this weekend as well. Here is my ride report,  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:.

Much better low end chugging power, which was my biggest personal complaint coming off of a 300 two stroke. Technical climbs are no problem now. Nice midrange power as well. I was taking it kind of easy on it still so I didn't spend a whole lot of time in the upper RPMs but it seemed to rev freely still. 

I would like to see what others come up with for mapping. Have been using the DBT map and just left it in there, seemed to work fine. 

Here's what I'm running right now. It seems to like it alot.

Fuel

-1 +1 +1

-1 0 +1

-1 0 +1

Ign

+2 +1 0

+2 +2 0

+2 +2 0

Edited by uw153

Still running a similar map, a little more timing in the middle is all. I recently installed a fmf 4.1 silencer so I boosted the timing a little. I ride alot in the mid to upper rpm when racing so this works rather well.