WP48mm cone valve fork setting/valving help

hi

I've recent purchased so come valves and with my limited knowledge serviced the oil in both chambers.

I'm looking at altering the valving slightly as I feel they're pretty harsh in the mid stroke.

I've previously do some valving to a shock so have a basic idea how they work but just looking for ideas or settings people have tried that work well.

I'll upload a picture of the shim stacks laid out

I also feel it's low on rebound damping

Edited by mwsd1986

You could remove 2 of the largest shims next to the piston

For rebound you need to buy another delta shim

U don't need to buy delter shims, u can cut ur own with sharp scissors. But anouther face thim on the reb will be to slow, what size x over shim are u using, and dropping face shims off the bv will ride even lower in the stroke

How can you expect to have any decent advice by providing the picture only?! Give some OD and shim thickness at least, incl. the shims in the MV cone valve' adaptor.

I think the cone valve is great for faster riders.

But As with other preloaded - zeroish bleed set ups - it has a lot of low speed!  If you soften the preload/spring rate - it becomes very soft all the time.

I would persue avenues of adding a smidgeon of bleed to the midvalve.  Without knowing the base valve shim thicness's - it's hard to guess - but if they are .10 thick - the base valve is very mild already.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies....

All the shims are .10, rebound starting with a 10mm and going up in 2mm increments

Compression starting at 12mm and increasing the same apart from the ones you can visually see are the same size or transitional shims.

I hadn't seen your messages so I've already built them up with another triangular rebound shim and I added another 10mm x .10 shim to space the cone of the transfer piston in addition to the 3 that it already had.

I think the fresh oil will make all the difference

Thanks for all your replies....

All the shims are .10, rebound starting with a 10mm and going up in 2mm increments

Compression starting at 12mm and increasing the same apart from the ones you can visually see are the same size or transitional shims.

I hadn't seen your messages so I've already built them up with another triangular rebound shim and I added another 10mm x .10 shim to space the cone of the transfer piston in addition to the 3 that it already had.

I think the fresh oil will make all the difference

What you are doing is not a bad place to start actually. Adding 10mm x .10 shims under the cone valve transfer piston as you put it will take small amounts of preload off the CV spring, which will help you achieve some more compliance. The CV forks are quite sensitive to changes in this area.

With the main MV piston removed from the post, with the damper rod clamped in a vice, push down on the top of the transfer piston to seat it on the 10 x .10 shims and slowly spin the CV spring. If you can feel drag then you have preload on the spring. Keep adding .10 shims until you can slowly spin the CV spring and only feel a very slight drag on the spring between it and the cone/post base. This is your "zero" ie no +or- preload. Add or subtract .10 shims from here to get your desired feel. For enduro, a zero or slighly - preload is normally needed for most riders to get some compliance in enduro conditions, the - preload situation is like adding some "bleed". + preload is normally needed for MX or fast endruo riders or heavy riders that weight the front end hard.

Also ensure your "main" fork springs aren't overly preloaded. ie somewhere around 1mm is a good place to start depending on conditions.

Don't remove 2 of the largest shims next to the piston like suggested previous.

• Like 2

Pic

It looks like OEM setting..  ​

Comp I.   6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x16x0,1 6x26x0.1 6x25x0.1 6x24x0.15 6x22x0.2 6x20x0.2 6x18x0.2 6x16x0.2 6x14x0.2

6x12x0.25

Rebound   delta delta delta 6x12x0,1 6x16x0,1 6x14x0,1 6x13x0,1 6x12x0,1 6x10x0,3 6x16x0,25

• Like 1

Bike type ??
Fork spring rate ??
Your weight ??

Hi,

springs are 4.4n

ktm sxf250

my weight is 12 stone with riding gear on

I've got roughly 4 clicks of preload on the fork springs and no preload on the cone valve spring itself

Hi,

springs are 4.4n

ktm sxf250

my weight is 12 stone with riding gear on

I've got roughly 4 clicks of preload on the fork springs and no preload on the cone valve spring itself

Shim stack same with mine ?? It would be important to know cone valve (red color cone) float ?? 

It looks like OEM setting.. ​ Comp I. 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x26x0.1 6x16x0,1 6x26x0.1 6x25x0.1 6x24x0.15 6x22x0.2 6x20x0.2 6x18x0.2 6x16x0.2 6x14x0.2

6x12x0.25

Rebound delta delta delta 6x12x0,1 6x16x0,1 6x14x0,1 6x13x0,1 6x12x0,1 6x10x0,3 6x16x0,25

On the comp it doesn't have the 25mm shim and has 2x 12.20 at the start instead of the single 12.25

I altered the rebound by adding 2 delta shims then moved the 12.10 shim up and then remaining 3 delta then 16,14,13,12 all in .20's

The cone is red but I'm not sure on the spring rate?

Thanks

The red cone is 15 degree and the spring is 25Nm that is what the std setting is and what is used for MX 99.9% of the time especially on a 250.

How much oil are you running ? On a 250 you can use less oil like 330/340 which will help with the fast rebound as well