DevonHonda

Anyone using Fasst Flexxbars on their Beta?

i mentioned this in the vid but figured it was worth mentioning in a bit more detail. i reckon flexible bars are great, and a great investment if trying to deal with arm pump, carpal tunnel, arthritis, any kind of upper body problems etc. but i think it make sense first to look at other possible problem areas too and rule them out. personally i found quite a few of these things made a big difference but i was still having problems... using the flexx bars (now on the DR650) and the TE bars on the RR300 have been the final piece in the puzzle. 

flexible%20bars_zpsbmunboac.jpg

• Like 2

I keep hearing over the bar dampers cannot fit on the Flexx bars but they do offer arched crossbars to accommodate the dampers. Do they not work in the way they were intended - never had the flexx bars, just asking.

I initially ran the arched crossbars but did not like how tall the stabilizer was...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1456585979.674883.jpg

I cut down the tower and went with a BRP submount which allowed it to sit lower and then I could run the flexx straight crossbars... ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1456586163.408757.jpg the submount also puts about a 1" rise in the bars as well;) hope it helps

I initially ran the arched crossbars but did not like how tall the stabilizer was...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1456585979.674883.jpg

I cut down the tower and went with a BRP submount which allowed it to sit lower and then I could run the flexx straight crossbars... attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1456586163.408757.jpg the submount also puts about a 1" rise in the bars as well;) hope it helps

Nice looking set up you have there. Thanks for the info!

Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, OZ DRZ said:

i mentioned this in the vid but figured it was worth mentioning in a bit more detail. i reckon flexible bars are great, and a great investment if trying to deal with arm pump, carpal tunnel, arthritis, any kind of upper body problems etc. but i think it make sense first to look at other possible problem areas too and rule them out. personally i found quite a few of these things made a big difference but i was still having problems... using the flexx bars (now on the DR650) and the TE bars on the RR300 have been the final piece in the puzzle. 

flexible%20bars_zpsbmunboac.jpg

I agree 100% with what OZ DRZ has to say here.  I am a 70 year old rocky single track dirt bike rider.  In 2016 I logged over 275hrs of seat time on my Beta Xtrainer with flex bars.  Because of some knee issues I only logged just over 200hrs during 2017 on my Beta 300RR with flex bars.  Without the extra cushion provided by the flex bars there is no way my old bones and joints would tolerate the pounding they get.  Along with the other things OZ DRZ mentions here using flex bars is a very big part of the reason I am able to continue riding a dirt bike at my age.  If you are old and still riding a dirt bike you need flex bars!  Just my opinion.   Now if I could just figure out something to cushion my knees more.

I have also found that flex bars work great for adding some more cushion to my 83 YZ250 vintage bike forks.

Edited by oldman
  • Like 3

I actually bent mine or should we say twisted mine in a crash last year, one side moved on the main bar, I've tried twisting it back but can't do it, pretty tough bars, it did take falling off a 15ft. ledge to twist them.

2 hours ago, Whiskeythrottle24 said:

Is this what you’re looking for? Had this pic in my phone....I’m at work emoji848.pngIMG_1247.jpg

THANKS! Best picture i have seen to date so far. If you have more from different angels that would be cool as well!

2 hours ago, oldman said:

I agree 100% with what OZ DRZ has to say here.  I am a 70 year old rocky single track dirt bike rider.  In 2016 I logged over 275hrs of seat time on my Beta Xtrainer with flex bars.  Because of some knee issues I only logged just over 200hrs during 2017 on my Beta 300RR with flex bars.  Without the extra cushion provided by the flex bars there is no way my old bones and joints would tolerate the pounding they get.  Along with the other things OZ DRZ mentions here using flex bars is a very big part of the reason I am able to continue riding a dirt bike at my age.  If you are old and still riding a dirt bike you need flex bars!  Just my opinion.   Now if I could just figure out something to cushion my knees more.

I have also found that flex bars work great for adding some more cushion to my 83 YZ250 vintage bike forks.

Agree 110% about the Flex bars, i have had double right wrist reconstructive surgery done & have been living with a torn Scapholunate ligament tear in my left wrist for over 8 years now, just deal with the pain @ this point. I also wear the carbon fiber OTS wrist braces, a god send for me, both of these products keep me riding! 

Twisted Engineering released their new X4 bend a while back and I've done quite a few rides with them after using the x3 bend the past two years.

As expected they are more flexible again and getting close to the Fasstco Flexx bars on their softest setting, very useful for us older fellas or guys with injuries so we want the maximum flex for everyday riding. 

• Like 2

I read somewhere recently that TE was shutting down?  Heard anything of this DR OZ?

Here's my two Beta's with Flexx bars.  I'm an old guy too and feel the Flexx bars are just another way to keep riding longer.  The downsides are cost,  the bars are heavy, don't like to be cut down width-wise due to the square tubing that limits the round bar attachment area (especially tricky with the 390 RR extra stuff including the positioning of the brake line/master cylinder limiting the brake lever position), and... the extra pivot point that occurs when attaching hand guards, which makes them more likely to shift when hitting something hard.  Still worth it tho'.   I'd probably try the Composi-flex bars next time if the flex is similar and I can get past my concern about stress risers from the inadvertent nick or scratch.

Here's the XT and 390...

390flexx.JPG.215a8c08a811fbf419364ad23d076b1b.JPG

xtflexx.JPG

Edited by kawagumby
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, OZ DRZ said:

Twisted Engineering released their new X4 bend a while back and I've done quite a few rides with them after using the x3 bend the past two years.

As expected they are more flexible again and getting close to the Fasstco Flexx bars on their softest setting, very useful for us older fellas or guys with injuries so we want the maximum flex for everyday riding. 

Is that a Clake II set up on one of those bikes?  I was wondering if the master cylinders of my Prolever would fit behind the hand guards?  I had to shim out the Cycra's on the stock bars

I just spoke to the owner of TE and production is on hold pending sale of the Co.  He said he'd try to update the website or the 888 # when they resume business.

• Like 1

I've been hitting stuff hard and falling on my Flexxbars for years now.  No problems.  I use the BRP pivoting mounts as well and nothing shifts, it cant.  I go through handguards every season as they get rashed up bad.  To avoid bending/breaking stuff in a big getoff, use a BRASS M8 bolt to attach the guard to the mount.  That way the bolt bends before the guard and/or does not rip the threads from the mount.  I always have a few with me to change on the trail if needed.

• Like 2

After reading what everyone else said I guess I'll have to be that one guy. I have ridden several bikes with Flex Bars and I don't like them at all. Gave me a very disconnected feeling with the bike, like I wasn't part of it. This made me ride tighter thus giving me arm pump, something that usually isn't an issue for me.  

Just like most things they aren't for everyone. Plus the weight and cost. Even with my bad wrists this isn't a way I could go. 

• Like 2

I run the stiff elastomers, and also don't like the obvious movement with the softer ones. The red pucks take the edge off in the rocks with no detected movement. Weight I don't notice, and also run a damper. I can feel the difference when I ride a bike with regular bars.

• Like 1