kp207

Stock plastic skid plate, any good?

Should I immediately replace it or is it decent? I ride in rocky new England type terrain. Dosnt appear to be to beefy but always appreciate input from those in the know . Thanks

Should I immediately replace it or is it decent? I ride in rocky new England type terrain. Dosnt appear to be to beefy but always appreciate input from those in the know . Thanks

If you are talking about loose rocks, it's fine.

If you are talking about casing on fixed rocks, you will need an aluminum one.

• Like 1

put a search for pipe skid plate here on this forum.. it's come up and there are a lot of choices now.. at least beta comes with a skid plate I mean I went riding with my stock one . until my ordered skid plate came in. I wouldn't do that with ktm.. so many choices.. enduro engineering, hyde, meca, boano racing, tm, force and there's more coming out soon too..and more I haven't mentioned..ricochet?.. If you ride carefully then I would ride it too.. If you are the kind that just blasts through rock gardens.. no can.. I couldn't wait so I rode it immediately..with my bike.

Thanks, I'll have to order one. That one with all the holes seems nice but costly. I have a 4 stroke but better safe then sorry. Our trails are rocky as hell as around here.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll have to order one. That one with all the holes seems nice but costly. I have a 4 stroke but better safe then sorry. Our trails are rocky as hell as around here.

For what it's worth I got a big burly plain aluminum skid plate for my 350rr.. from ricochet.. not exciting but thick and good price.. but there's a bunch of cool skid plates so have fun choosing.. also my 350 rr has a smashed header pipe from the owner before.. I just got a new header pipe ..so think about getting a header guard.. betausa shows one now but I haven't seen too many of those. .If you are going to fall over there's a good chance that header can get smashed.. so maybe make one..or adapt one already made or buy that carbon fiber one if you want to protect that part too.

s-l225.jpg

Here's the ricochet sites pictures..  how about this pic.. if you were selling a product would you post up a dirty ass bike to model it? .. It's a decent product though but all things being equal I might have got another skid plate just on this pic alone.. if I saw one at the time.. I just ordered it kind of fast and price was something like a hundred  to 125 bucks.. not sure now..

295_1_3ca575af-5f59-454d-ae10-2e948221e9

Stock skid plate is quite good, but wont protect from kind of fixed rocks impacts. I've replaced it with an aluminium one (harder and flex less), protects more in rocky terrains.

Edited by BetaRRider

Nice, thank you. Your right that pic is great haha.... I've had a few of the ricochet style skid plates in the past. They work decent ( although I did hit real hard once on a heavy drz400s and made a ding in the skid plate and dented frame tube...thing I noticed though is it uses the brackets that wrap around frame not a direct bolt on. I always found it to be PIA to remove. But price is right! The beta one with holes is almost double the cost. Great info guys, I appreciate it !

3hrs on this stock 300RR skidplate.

image.jpg

Edited by bigd450
  • Like 2

Yikes! I went our and bought the beta one with the holes from my beta shop. Cost me 175 + tax but it's really nice

Edited by kp207
  • Like 1

1. Reason for holes is gets air flow thru and around motor have seen 20-25 degree drop in oil temp while testing for heat transfer and dissipation.

2. After going thru water dumps it quicker so as not to carry up the trail longer greasing up the tree roots along the way.

3. Reduces weight.

4. When running out of talent and hitting something solid reduces the shock impact to the bike also your spine and body.

5. Wrap around for more side protection.

6. All USA materials.

7. Time consuming to put some style into a skid plate.

8. Purvine Race Team buys them from me, says a lot when a quality Race Team uses your product.

9. Designed and made by an old white guy in USA.

10. Made in USA by an old white guy.

Thanks for the purchase.

Later George

Thanks for the purchase.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1. Reason for holes is gets air flow thru and around motor have seen 20-25 degree drop in oil temp while testing for heat transfer and dissipation.

2. After going thru water dumps it quicker so as not to carry up the trail longer greasing up the tree roots along the way.

3. Reduces weight.

4. When running out of talent and hitting something solid reduces the shock impact to the bike also your spine and body.

5. Wrap around for more side protection.

6. All USA materials.

7. Time consuming to put some style into a skid plate.

8. Purvine Race Team buys them from me, says a lot when a quality Race Team uses your product.

9. Designed and made by an old white guy in USA.

10. Made in USA by an old white guy.

Thanks for the purchase.

Later George

Thanks for the purchase.

You make a fine skid plate. It has saved my bike more then a few times. I wish you had an option for even more side coverage. Something along the lines of what BMW uses on their boxer motor heads, there's high density rubber between the plate and motor making engine cover damage virtually impossible. Probably not cost effective but oh well.

Plastic skid plates just don't hold up well in the rocky and boulder strewn single track we ride in Idaho and Utah.... anyone interested in a lightly used TMD skid plate for a 350 EXC-F...

Aluminum for me. I'll be taking my XT over to Don Gibbs at Ricochet on Monday and he's going to fab up a skid plate for the XT. They should be available for purchase shortly afterwards.

• Like 1

Not like it's a good idea or anything, but I had the stock plate on when I did King of the Motos. The only real carnage was a cracked clutch cover, but that was from the brake...not entirely sure a different skid plate would have made much of a difference. I do have the uptite plate on my Husky Te450, I think an aluminum plate is a requirement on a 4 stroke. 

• Like 1

I don't like the std plastic one mine is pretty average after 35hrs and I don't ride a huge amount of big rocks. The last few rides have had heaps of rocks and its looking pretty sad, the frame rails will be exposed soon. I like the look of the Richochet one but alas I live in Oz so force it will be. 

MM 

• Like 1

Not like it's a good idea or anything, but I had the stock plate on when I did King of the Motos. The only real carnage was a cracked clutch cover, but that was from the brake...not entirely sure a different skid plate would have made much of a difference. I do have the uptite plate on my Husky Te450, I think an aluminum plate is a requirement on a 4 stroke. 

After lowering my brake, Georges skid plate has saved my clutch cover a few times. I also split some heavy wall tubing lengthwise. Then tie wrapped it over the edge of the plate to cushion the plate against the cover if it takes a hit. 

Edited by Rotax