kp207

Stock plastic skid plate, any good?

I inquired of Ricochet whether they would be making a skid for Xtrainer.  Replied that they had just completed one and that it would be available for purchase soon.

That was my XT they fabricated the skid plate for. They also fabricated some brackets so I can bolt up the MME chainsaw mount I have to the XT and still be able to use it with my KTM.

What's the general opinion comparing carbon fibre to Aluminum bash plates?

Thoughts on EE vs Ricochet?  Ease/method of installation/removal?  Thickness?  I've got Ricochet's on both my other bikes and like them but am open to suggestions.  Thanks.

Thoughts on EE vs Ricochet?  Ease/method of installation/removal?  Thickness?  I've got Ricochet's on both my other bikes and like them but am open to suggestions.  Thanks.

I like how plastic glides over wood, but I've ripped off every plastic skid on my KTM's from slamming into rock too hard. I have the EE aluminum skid on my 300rr. I've used their skids on a few of my bikes and this is the best of the bunch. I hate the increased noise you get from an aluminum plate, so I sandwiched 1/8" rubber between the frame and the threaded front mount and there's no increased noise.

• Like 1

I like how plastic glides over wood, but I've ripped off every plastic skid on my KTM's from slamming into rock too hard. I have the EE aluminum skid on my 300rr. I've used their skids on a few of my bikes and this is the best of the bunch. I hate the increased noise you get from an aluminum plate, so I sandwiched 1/8" rubber between the frame and the threaded front mount and there's no increased noise.

Spraying bedliner or rust proofing material on the inside of the skid plate will reduce noise. A sheet of UHMD added to the bottom of your plate will make it glide over obstacles.

I've added some 5/8" heater hose from a car to my frame rails between the stock bash plate and the frame. This is helping heaps with the wear of the std plate. 

• Like 1

On my install  i had to cut off factory rear skid mount which was in the way. Perhaps the 16 is different from previous models.

Spraying bedliner or rust proofing material on the inside of the skid plate will reduce noise. A sheet of UHMD added to the bottom of your plate will make it glide over obstacles.

Yep, both of mine have the bedliner treatment, which did help reduce the noise.  I'm liking the idea of adding a thin (and replace-able) sheet of plastic to the bottom, probably heat forming it like one of the other posters suggested.

• Like 1

Yep, both of mine have the bedliner treatment, which did help reduce the noise.  I'm liking the idea of adding a thin (and replace-able) sheet of plastic to the bottom, probably heat forming it like one of the other posters suggested.

UHMD works great and is pretty cheap. It can be formed with a heat gun or torch if you take your time. 1/4" works great if you want to bevel the holes so the screws are flush. I've tried just 2" strips but seem to always hit the non cover area's. I've been wanting to try  some thicker stuff to cover the shock linkage but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Like 1

I just bought a 2018 300RR with the stock skid plate.  I pulled it off today and found the front mount bolt was not into a threaded hole, but had a really hard to reach nut between the frame and motor.  
is that how it comes from the factory or did someone strip out the hole and go with the nut and bolt as a fix?

On 11/21/2020 at 11:40 PM, TecateRay said:

I just bought a 2018 300RR with the stock skid plate.  I pulled it off today and found the front mount bolt was not into a threaded hole, but had a really hard to reach nut between the frame and motor.  
is that how it comes from the factory or did someone strip out the hole and go with the nut and bolt as a fix?

Use these.  They're much easier. These are what should have been there in stock form.

https://www.motosport.com/bolt-metric-euro-clip-nuts

X001-Y002.jpg

Edited by dhdrider
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, TecateRay said:

Just get a ptech or carapak , emperor racing or force combo skid plate pipe guard etc and be done with it. Motoes sells one on bay that looks good too. Or a custom pipe guard. That’s very common here. Youll save money, time and effort fixing or changing pipes in the future and you’ll have confidence riding in the rocks. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BETA-250-RR-300-RR-2013-2019-BETA-BASH-PLATE-WITH-PIPE-GUARD-LINK-GUARD/312651197021?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20171010182220%26meid%3D508b97c463ed44318126d2f2588f3511%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D312646439271%26itm%3D312651197021%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DSellersOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460

Look as an example how common pipe cages or combo pipe guard skid plates are. This is a group of around 14 or 15??? We ran into while cleaning trails. Look at the choices of pipe guards on all the bikes. It’s in a variety of vids here..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHo48X1A9ew/?igshid=17xqkbr50jhel

Edited by hawaiidirtrider