2016 YZ-F 250 big bore 290

That's exactly the response I thought I'd get.  I ride with some pretty quick guys and I've seen too many of them go from a 450 kool-aid bike to the 350 and they were faster and for a longer time.  Even the "A" boys say they're faster on the 450 for about 30 minutes and then they're worn out, where they can ride a big bore smoker or the 350 consistently with better end results.  Kalub Russell proved that.  The 450 has way too much rotating mass and HP for tight woods and single track. 

I was hoping someone out there has done a 290 kit on a new '16 YZ-F ( since it appears Yamaha isn't going to produce a 350 ) and could shed some light on the results.  It's too costly to buy one, buy the kit, spring the bike, revalve the suspension or buy 3K worth on Ohlins, an 18" wheel, handguards, etc, just to see " IF " they like the bike. 

I'd like to see how it compares to an Eddie Sanders 345 YZ 2T. 

JC     

Anybody done a 290 big bore on a '16 YZ 250F ?  Just wondering how well it runs ?  I'm a 2 stroke guy and currently have a '13 250 smoker with Ohlins suspension, recluse Pro and an Eddie Sanders 345 kit, but was thinking about a 2nd bike. 

JC

You will need to get the head ported and have bigger valves to utilize the extra cc's. I have ridden a yz250f with the 290 kit on it and it pulls great down low but signs off early. With the porting and bigger valves you can improve the over-rev. 

Go with a KTM 350 XCF-W.. it just makes more sense to buy an already accomplished woods bike

Had one, don't like the euro chassis.  Great motor !  I had various bikes through the years, red, green, yellow and blue, which I have now and all of them have superb chassis with various differences, just couldn't get used to the orange chassis.

JC

You will need to get the head ported and have bigger valves to utilize the extra cc's. I have ridden a yz250f with the 290 kit on it and it pulls great down low but signs off early. With the porting and bigger valves you can improve the over-rev. 

Hum.  One would think that a head would be available that would breathe sufficiently for the bore. 

Maybe Yamaha will wake up and build a 350 that doesn't weigh as much as an XR-600. 

Thanks for the reply !!

JC

Just think if Yamaha built a WR350F or alike. It would be awesome. I have the 250F now and am looking doing the 290kit down the road. I personally don't think the majority of riders need a 450 and I find my 250F is more for me but having a 350 just seems like it would be perfect enduro and trail bike.