o2 Sensor tool for Carb Tuning

Hey Team

I'm all about numbers. I'm a young blood that can't really tune based on sound smell voodoo and don't really have the patience and the eye for plug chopping. What i want to do is utilize an o2 sensor. But specifically I want to make a tool that i can use on multiple bikes. So my thought is to stick the o2 sensor into a bit of tubing. then stick the tubing into the muffler. I attached a photo. I've never really worked with o2 sensors so any info is helpful. Any watchouts or thoughts would also be great.

I did a search and read that i should check into dotcoms posts about this in the fcr thread, but that thread is somewhat off topic and there are way too many pages to dig through.

Thanks

o2 Sensor.jpg

Even a small amount of air leakage can skew the sensor readings. So you'd want to seal that tubing very well to the muffler. Also I think the sensor is supposed to have a certain amount of tubing downstream of it, so your tube might have to be fairly long.

Also, I Think the sensor is supposed to be within a certain distance of the engine.

It wouldn't be too expensive to get sensor bungs for all your bikes. Then close them with a plug when not using the sensor.

Hi schin,

The sensor needs to be installed in the pipe before the muffler in order to get the temps required for the sensor to operate quickly and smoothly and also believe it or not oxygen can get sucked in the muffler and skew your readings.  Also make sure the tip of the sensor is inserted deep enough into the exhaust pipe making sure the sensor tip is sticking out into the exhaust stream. 

Hey Team

I'm all about numbers. I'm a young blood that can't really tune based on sound smell voodoo and don't really have the patience and the eye for plug chopping. What i want to do is utilize an o2 sensor. But specifically I want to make a tool that i can use on multiple bikes. So my thought is to stick the o2 sensor into a bit of tubing. then stick the tubing into the muffler. I attached a photo. I've never really worked with o2 sensors so any info is helpful. Any watchouts or thoughts would also be great.

I did a search and read that i should check into dotcoms posts about this in the fcr thread, but that thread is somewhat off topic and there are way too many pages to dig through.

Thanks

Wego III is a good unit that is a heated sensor. Use copper tubing/fittings and make a bung for the sensor (hardware store). Clamp that to a piece of aluminum that is clamped to the muffler with exhaust wrap underneath for protection. You can look at the logged data (throttle position/RPM/AFR) and tune accordingly. Works great, Ive checked them against dyno afr readers and they are the same, just get the tube in the exhaust past the muffler. The deeper the better. 

I dont have a clue what the other replies are talking about which is why I shared my opinion from experience.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/WEGO3.html

Go find an older mechanic, and shadow him. Carb tuning is a lost art these days. Im not a fan of all the fancy efi crap, and thats why most of us on here ride xr's! Simplicity. Cool idea, but not the right group to pitch it too lol.

Thanks guys. Ill take everyones thoughts into consideration and do research on both.

nb sounds like uve done this before u have any photos?

I think this is an excellent idea.  Makes all the sense in the world - kind of like having a dyno to see what the best power setting is.  I've been toying with the idea along the same lines only for 2t's.  Then I stumbled onto Lectron carbs and gave them a try.  My jetting days are now behind me.....I think.  If you are jetting a 4T, I've been told by a couple of capable shops that plug reading a 4 stroke is almost a waste of time for fine tuning as the new fuels don't leave residue to read like the old days.

Hi schin

i have try it but for me it did not work i think i did not use the correct sensor i keep on getting inconsistent results there is a few specifics about these sensors it will be the best to find a expert on the sensors them self. i still believe it can work but it was much simpler for me to get help here from the guz to tune my carbs on the XL600R

but please keep us up to date with your progress  

o2sensor%20051_zps8dkl7ysu.jpg

o2sensor%20049_zpsvqvsipr9.jpg

tx will do. may be a while before this happens if ever. my umbrella thought is if a major company hasnt made one by now there must be good reason for it

"Cool idea, but not the right group to pitch it too lol."

Point taken... But really? This isnt rocket science.

That not nice to say my man. but here is a guy that did the same thing you want on his XL600R just scroll down 

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-build-dual-flatslide-carbs-for-honda-xl-xr-600.804951/

if you want to do it your self contact him he is on thumpertalk aswell nice guy!!

Regards

Oupoot

Edited by Oupoot

Thanks guys. Ill take everyones thoughts into consideration and do research on both.

nb sounds like uve done this before u have any photos?

Never be afraid to learn something. If everybody were , you'd be riding a steam powered bike. Or a horse. Quoted wrong post above , this one below.

Edited by JoeRC51
  • Like 1

Go find an older mechanic, and shadow him. Carb tuning is a lost art these days. Im not a fan of all the fancy efi crap, and thats why most of us on here ride xr's! Simplicity. Cool idea, but not the right group to pitch it too lol.

Meant to quote THIS post.