drain plug welded on

Hey got a 2001 yz 125 and went to change the oil and the drain plug is welded on and not coming off , I'm assuming it was leaking or cross threaded , anyway I could change the oil with out having to get the case drilled and re threaded ?

Hey got a 2001 yz 125 and went to change the oil and the drain plug is welded on and not coming off , I'm assuming it was leaking or cross threaded , anyway I could change the oil with out having to get the case drilled and re threaded ?

It's not ideal, but you could loosen the clutch cover and lay the bike over to drain it.

Eventually I assume you'd want to fix it properly. I know I would...

Edited by poldies4

You sure it's welded? Most plugs are steel and cases are aluminum. You can't weld them.

• Like 4

So what just pop the clutch cover off and lay the bike down ?

Pretty much, the cases go lower than the bottom of the clutch cover though, so it will be tough to get all of the oil out.

In a situation where you desperately need to change the oil it will do the job, but isn't it winter there? Seems like an excellent time to try to fix it right before the riding season starts?

Edited by poldies4

Well unless I can get it fixed with out ripping everything apart it's not really worth it, anyone know of roughly how much it would cost to get re threaded

listen bro, go to a cycle repair shop, and have a qualified mechanic free up that plug, then have him tap and re-thread that drain plug, failing that have him put a helicoil in and a fresh drain plug. You need to change that gear oil, its imperative.

• Like 1

Well unless I can get it fixed with out ripping everything apart it's not really worth it, anyone know of roughly how much it would cost to get re threaded

If you can pull the engine and take it to a machine shop it shouldn't be too bad. You could also try a heli-coil, or a time sert repair and do it yourself if you're fairly handy...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=time+sert+insert&tag=googhydr-20&index=automotive&hvadid=91718491705&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10738596252526876029&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_290b7nmm25_b

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=heli+coil&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Aheli+coil

It has already been mentioned, have someone drill and tap it, and put a new drain plug in. If it doesn't work, have them helicoil it. Most shops wont charged over 1 hour of labor for either or. 

You kinda risk breaking your case getting that thing off. Chances are the brainiac that put it on there did it for a reason (being stripped). I'd just drain it out of your clutch cover until you can properly deal with the situation.

You kinda risk breaking your case getting that thing off. Chances are the brainiac that put it on there did it for a reason (being stripped). I'd just drain it out of your clutch cover until you can properly deal with the situation.

it's already broke.....haha 

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF