Is this a good idea?

Hi I've been riding quads my whole life like sportsmans grizzlies 3 wheelers and I have a 400ex my friend just got a rm 250 and I want to get a bike I'm 5,10 and I weigh 180 lbs I've found a 2000 yz 250 but I don't want to get hurt in it but I want a bike bad what do you guys think btw I'm 15 I know how snappy they are because everyone says that but I've only ridden mini bike I know how to use a clutch and all that and I've just been really ding my quad with my friend but for spring and summer I want to get a bike what do you guys think, thanks

It sounds like you don't have a ton of experience on a bike and that's ok everybody has had a point where it was new to them. I would do what 563ripper said and ride your buddy's even though his is decked out. If that's the case and you can ride his then you shouldn't have a problem on a bike that might not be as powerful. From what it sounds like to me is you might want to go with a bike with a little less power to start out maybe a 250f or something of that nature. Just my opinion though doesn't mean it's right. Good luck and congrats on moving from 4 wheelers to bike

Shift early and be smart with your throttle hand. Keep two fingers on the clutch especially in technical situations. Think of your clutch as an extension of your throttle or a traction control device. Partially engaged clutch will help control wheel spin in poor traction situations. I'd suggest a fly wheel weight for the yz at least an 11oz. It'll smooth out the hit a little. It will also help prevent it from stalling at low rpms and you can take it off later when your confidence improves.

Thanks guys you really helped me out but my friends probably won't let me ride it because he'll say I'll wreck it but I've been thinking about buying a 125 two stroke but i dont know if In a few months of riding I'll want something bigger but thanks for the responses