Left Hand Rear Brake

HI All,
       I have had a watching brief on the developments of a left hand rear brake. It would be much easier to maintain a riding position uphill/downhill if you could get to the rear brake by hand as per mountain bikes.

There has been some inclusions recently which I will share:

1. http://www.ox-brake.com/

This looks interesting as it is cable operated, cheap and looks easy to install on some bikes. Has anybody tried this?

2. http://www.clake.com.au/

I know the owner would love me to try this with the XR as he would probably get a deal for three bikes. The cost of the Clake, plus the cable to hydraulic conversion puts in the unreasonable basket. There is also a standard LHRB that works with a different master cylinder - same problem. 

3. http://www.smokn.co....rear-brake-kits

Looks complicated and expensive. Anybody tried this?

4. http://www.thestuntf...com/eashcl.html

They actual have a dual fitting (brake and clutch) that works with an XR650L! Too bad it is bloody expensive! Anybody tried this?

5. Rekluse LHRB

From research they seem to fit with 3. in that it gets pretty complicated to align the levers in the right position. Never seen an XR with one. Not all bikes have the option of a rekluse auto clutch.

6. Bicycle hydraulic master cylinders

Problematic with use.

Have I missed anything? All feedback is appreciated.

Regards 

I have the Rekluse version on my KTM. Like the #3 unit, it uses a Hayes lever/master assembly, but the Rekluse modifies it for a larger capacity reservoir. Simple install and easy to return back if wanted. 

I have the Rekluse version on my KTM. Like the #3 unit, it uses a Hayes lever/master assembly, but the Rekluse modifies it for a larger capacity reservoir. Simple install and easy to return back if wanted.

Hi Betarocker have you still a manual clutch? How have you set the levers up?

Regards

Don't waste money on all that overpriced shiat. Buy a radial brake master (cbr1krr is good, got mine for about 60-70 off ebay), get a custom brake line, and get an adapter that goes in where the reservoir joins the rear brake master. The kind of adapter depends on what connection is in there but they're pretty simple. Hohey and GP tech have made them so you can see some examples if you google. Can order custom brake line from HEL through their website for about $60.

Something like the one on the right looks right for an xr if you can lathe stuff. It pushes in where the plastic elbow was, circlip holds it in the same and the banjo bolt goes in the end.

8p305MJ.jpg

There'll be plenty of room to push the brake master in on the bars so the clutch and brake won't be very far apart. If you run an ez pull or an rsc clutch ( http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/ ) you can use clutch and brake easy with 1 finger each.

Not my pic but I've run the same setup on my 636 with a single piston rear caliper and junction valve

uxHDMDY.jpg

You could also grab another rear caliper and bracket then weld it to the original and run a line directly from the hand master but that's hard to get lined up right and less cooling for the rear disc.

Cables and combined clutch/brake are were tried a lot in stunt in early 2000s and suck. For one finger power and control radial master is best.

Thanks Guys,

this is great information which I will take some time to digest. Mr Motorcross is the 636 a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R?

Regards

Garry

Thanks Guys,

this is great information which I will take some time to digest. Mr Motorcross is the 636 a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R?

Regards

Garry

yep. the standard rear brake is pretty weak but not so bad with the radial master.

Edit: another bonus of using a common master is rebuild kits and spares are cheap.

Edited by Mr_Motocross

Hi All,

I think I will go the option suggest by Mr_Motocross for the XR. One question: Has any body tried this fitting? Refer  http://www.hoheydesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=199&pic=1&products_image_large_additional=images/kjv_joined_2.png  

I assume it is a "press in" fitting. Some other forums claim they leak. What is the best way to do this? Any sealants used?

Regards

The one I have extends down into the reservoir with an O ring on each side of the port, no leaks.

Hi Chuck,

are you referring to the ones that literally fit inside the existing master cylinder ie take of the top cap and screw in? Or are are you referring to the fittings mentioned above by Mr Motocross? They completely replace the original rear external reservoir?

Regards 

I've used both.

Depends on MC:

My CRF250X has the reservoir integral with the MC and the Rekluse kit includes a piece that extends down into the reservoir with O rings so the fluid goes directly into the port.

On my XR I machined a fitting to suit the port on the side of a remote reservoir MC (replacing the remote reservoir), using a single O ring just like the OEM plastic fitting.

On the XR I used a Hayes MC and for whatever reasons I've had problems getting all of the air out of the system so it doesn't work as well as the Rekluse LHRB. :banghead:

Well the XR600 will need a snapring version (straight not tear drop) a great deal shorter to clear the frame. The banjo fitting probably needs to be 90 degrees to that shown.

I do not have a lathe or the skills to make one.

A guy called "fabricator" did one in 2009 for an XR400. PM'ed him but he has not been on for a while.

Does anybody here make something like this?

Regards

Gazzmann

I have the Rekluse. Absolutely love it. I have a downhill mountain biking and free riding background so it took little time to get used to. I noticed i couldnt get on the rear brake as well sliding far back in the saddle on descents. Plus I get very little feel with a motocross boot on. Huge difference when modulating just the right amount of rear brake descending the truly nasty bits of trail.

Go with Smokn's stage 2 LHRB kit, less expensive and a much better value that the current Rekluse setup..All due respect to Mr Motocross, but most folks don't have the know how/lathe to fab various parts.

Check it out - run it on my Beta, works great.

I use the Clake 2. I do not run a Rekluse clutch. Don't care for the slipper clutch.

I Love the Clake. Clutch is one finger pull. Brake is one finger pull. Effortless. My 12 year old daughter can pull them in with ease. One of the best things I have put on a bike besides the suspension set up for me.