So to keep it simple I have a 04 rm250 and klx 110. My girlfriend has been riding the 110 but we haven't ridden in over 6 months. I'm a soon to be graduating college senior and my time and funds to ride will probably get even smaller. I have thought of selling both bikes to get a newer truck as I am driving a 87 toyota pickup right now. The thought of selling the bikes makes both of us sad and I love walking out into the garage and seeing them but at the same time they spend most of their time sitting. I bounce back and forth on the decision every day and I'm just looking for different opinions. I talked to the girlfriend about selling them and she wasn't thrilled but does realize we never get to ride and that I really could use a newer vehicle so I am pretty much stuck and don't know what to do.

Edited by yz250f616

theyre not fancy bikes with any special parts or sentimental value. get rid of em and upgrade if you dont use them.  you can always buy newer and better ones in the future once you start working.

if they were super rare limited editions with pro factory parts on them, it would be a different story.

get a decent job, save up for a month or two or three which really isnt very long or hard in the long run, and show up one day with two bikes in the back of your truck for you and her. surprise her once youre doing a bit better financially.

The bikes are paid for. It could very well be harder to replace when you're ready and able to get back into it. I'd try to come up with another option.

• Like 1

Been there done that, Its best to liquidate your toys, and go ahead and start planning on paying off those extortinately priced student loans. When you are rolling in the dough, buy some new bikes. Good Luck.

• Like 2

The 87 isn't going anywhere that truck has way too much sentimental value to let go of it. That was my argument to the girlfriend bikes are a dime a dozen they can always be replaced.

• Like 1

The 87 isn't going anywhere that truck has way too much sentimental value to let go of it. That was my argument to the girlfriend bikes are a dime a dozen they can always be replaced.

87 yota and the bikes are paid off.. no since in getting any extra bills or spending any more money.. i'd do anything and everything i could and use selling vehicles as a last option..

You are entering real life. The couple grand you get for the bikes is probably not going to make a difference. What are you going to do sell the bikes and truck and upgrade to a 92 pick up. I suggest keep the bikes and make time to ride. Dont fall in the trap of all work and no play.

• Like 4

Keep the bikes and make the time to ride. This forum is full of guys like me who rode in high school and then stopped until they were 40 years old. Being happy in life is about finding balance. I know plenty of people that make tons of money but aren't happy. I know a handful of people who live modestly but are extremely happy.

• Like 1

I'm just having a hard time seeing a couple grand sitting in the garage and pretty much being useless and id take the money from the bikes to use as part of a down payment on anew vehicle. My Toyota does run good but its at the point where its nickel and diming me to death and if i was able to get a another truck I could turn the Toyota into my toy plus there's way more places where I'm at that are truck friendly but aren't so great on bikes.

Edited by yz250f616

I'm just having a hard time seeing a couple grand sitting in the garage and pretty much being useless and id take the money from the bikes to use as part of a down payment on anew vehicle. My Toyota does run good but its at the point where its nickel and diming me to death and if i was able to get a another truck I could turn the Toyota into my toy plus there's way more places where I'm at that are truck friendly but aren't so great on bikes.

haha.. if u get a truck payment then there goes even more of ur money.. better off just making a budget and sticking with that.. I budget $20 a paycheck for riding..

Whatever you do, dont buy a new truck.  The cost/depreciation will kill you.  You are better off shopping for a used model that has at least three years of depreciation and has been treated well.

Sell your girlfriends bike and keep the RM250!

Whatever you do, dont buy a new truck. The cost/depreciation will kill you. You are better off shopping for a used model that has at least three years of depreciation and has been treated well.

Sell your girlfriends bike and keep the RM250!

Haha yeah when I say new i mean new to me. Like i found a 04 f150 lariat locally with 90000 miles for $12,500 I will probably never buy a brand new vehicle.

Haha yeah when I say new i mean new to me. Like i found a 04 f150 lariat locally with 90000 miles for $12,500 I will probably never buy a brand new vehicle.

If it's the 5.4 triton run away. I promise you that truck will dime and dollar you way worse than the Toyota did.

Do a bunch of research, there were some good trucks of that vintage, and some really bad ones.

I did what was mentioned above, sold all my toys at 19 and didn't get back into it until my late 30's. It's great that I can afford the toys now, but wish I had been riding all along, even if it was only a few times a year. The bikes don't cost you anything at this point, especially if you don't ride much. I'd save a few bucks and sell the Toyota, and use that as a down payment on a vehicle.

It's no fun having a payment on a broke down vehicle, been there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

An 04 through 06 f150 can be a nightmare. That's the number one engine job at my shop. When not blown up, they come in noisy and running weird. $2500 timing chain/can phaser jobs are common. We've also seen tons of tranny failures. Then add spark plug and coil problems and clogged converters, I'd pass.

haha.. if u get a truck payment then there goes even more of ur money.. better off just making a budget and sticking with that.. I budget $20 a paycheck for riding..

best idea yet! You already have the bikes so it doesn't cost too much to keep going, and a truck payment sure isn't gonna help. Why not buy an older truck with low miles and in good shape? Sure would save a lot of money, just don't see the point of being a student and pushing to be further in debt. Take your time and find a truck owned buy an older guy that babied it. Does you truck break down every month?