Doc_d

Michigan Michigan Trail Condition Thread - Please post

@Doc_d I haven't ridden C since last december, also wanted to get up there to ride it again this year but as you said, snowing.... I feel like C had a few more fun hills and technical areas than B did. My son was with us when we did B loop and due to fuel range restrictions we did have to skip out on some and decided to skip the very north western part, so that area could have been the good tech we were all looking for. 

• Like 1

It snows then the sun shines. I'm sitting at tire shop getting new brakes and tires for winter. Sun blasts out and I hope it warms up. I usually get some rides in during November. Once a few times in early December. Will suck if it's now to April.

• Like 1

Geels south loop was in great shape Saturday. The northern loop was pretty wet. I was a touch frozen after that.

0936c2f0e5e1ddf7eb38d4c8f7d73aac.jpg

a128cf2dfe70f2719e2b1864dd8ce8fc.jpg

Some footage from Tomahawk back in August.
Tomahawk B loop

Tomahawk C loop

• Like 1

@adam728. Nice riding getting a DR650 through those trails and even giving the hill climb on B loop a shot.  I didn't attempt that hill climb on B loop.  Video does no justice to it.  Next time I'll give it a shot.

Doc

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 8:57 PM, Treesmacker said:

When does the Michigan firearms deer season start??

November 15

On November 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM, tripped38 said:

Is anyone riding this weekend or maybe black Friday?  Trying not to go solo.  I am game to ride anywhere within a couple hours of Lansing

Public land is effectively closed until after deer season (12/1). There are limited hours of operation for riding, but best to wait until after the big guns are done in the woods.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2TrakR said:

Public land is effectively closed until after deer season (12/1). There are limited hours of operation for riding, but best to wait until after the big guns are done in the woods.

I figured that.  I have just been itching to ride the new to me bike!  Looks like I will wait another couple of weeks!

24 minutes ago, 2TrakR said:

I've heard varying opinions on this.  Is this true even on designated ORV trails?  Can someone point to the actual law?  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to break the law or mes with anyone's hunt, but are there really people hunting over the ORV trails?

And if this is coded as an actual law, would it not apply to bow season, gun season and muzzle loader season effectively ending all riding from October 1st to Jan 30 (or whenever muzzle loader ends)?

Thanks

Doc

Edit - I did find it on the DNR website although I can't find the actual law that prohibits it.  It is only during the regular firearms deer season on lands open to the public for hunting.  So I guess that would include all the riding areas.

Edited by Doc_d

5 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I've heard varying opinions on this.  Is this true even on designated ORV trails?  Can someone point to the actual law?  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to break the law or mes with anyone's hunt, but are there really people hunting over the ORV trails?

And if this is coded as an actual law, would it not apply to bow season, gun season and muzzle loader season effectively ending all riding from October 1st to Jan 30 (or whenever muzzle loader ends)?

Thanks

Doc

ORV use, except for using to access taken game, is prohibited from 7AM-11AM and from 2PM to 5PM Nov 15-30 for firearm deer season.

People actually hunt on the trails, yes. Firearm is the chosen season since there are WAY more people in the woods compared to the other seasons and it's WAY more dangerous since bullets generally travel much further than arrows.

If you are plated and on county or forest roads, technically legal, but likely to be harassed by the non-informed hunters nearby. Same for trying to ride the trails in that 3 hour block of "open time".

There are some that ride the trails at night (legal) during this time and I've not heard of them being harassed. 

There are a billion "what if" and other scenarios, the thing to do is "not ride" from 11/15 until 12/1. If you need to ride, go to a private park or head out of State. 

Link to the law:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81133

Part H:

(i) In an area on which public hunting is permitted during the regular November firearm deer season, from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., except as follows: 

(i) During an emergency. 

(ii) For law enforcement purposes. 

(iii) To go to and from a permanent residence or a hunting camp otherwise inaccessible by a conventional wheeled vehicle. 

(iv) To remove legally harvested deer, bear, or elk from public land. An individual shall operate an ORV under this subparagraph at a speed not exceeding 5 miles per hour, using the most direct route that complies with subdivision (n).

(v) To conduct necessary work functions involving land and timber survey, communication and transmission line patrol, or timber harvest operations. 

(vi) On property owned or under control of the operator or on which the operator is an invited guest. 

(vii) While operating a vehicle registered under the code on a private road capable of sustaining automobile traffic or a street, county road, or highway. 

(viii) If the individual holds a valid permit to hunt from a standing vehicle issued under part 401 or is a person with a disability using an ORV to access public lands for purposes of hunting or fishing through use of a designated trail or forest road. An individual holding a valid permit to hunt from a standing vehicle issued under part 401, or a person with a disability using an ORV to access public lands for purposes of hunting or fishing, may display a flag, the color of which the department shall determine, to identify himself or herself as a person with a disability or an individual holding a permit to hunt from a standing vehicle under part 401.

• Like 5

The snow down here in southern Michigan is starting to melt.  Hopefully there are some people from Northern Michigan here who can keep us updated on the conditions over the next few weeks and the snow melts and the trails hopefully dry up and become rideable.

I'm itching to get out somewhere as soon as possible.

• Like 4

Any updates on Tomahawk trail system?  Looking to ride this weekend, hoping the snow has melted off...

Just now, Tgun111 said:

Went by cedar creek today, looks like all the snow is gone, but I'm still wrenching on the bike. So it looks like a couple more weeks for me. But the 3 trails in the holton/twin lake area are good to go.