Doc_d

Michigan Michigan Trail Condition Thread - Please post

19 hours ago, Tgun111 said:

Went by cedar creek today, looks like all the snow is gone, but I'm still wrenching on the bike. So it looks like a couple more weeks for me. But the 3 trails in the holton/twin lake area are good to go.

That's good to hear, I'm thinking of hitting Cedar Creek this Saturday and was hoping the snow would be clear by then.  I'm curious if anyone knows how wet the trails are there?  Those puddles can get long and deep and I'm not sure I'm ready for a soaking yet.  I think it was last year in January or February we went up there and it felt like one continuous puddle on the entire trail.

• Like 1

@John Underwood hopefully someone can answer your questions.  But either way if you make it out this weekend, if you could post a report I'd appreciate it.

This winter has been waaaaayyyy too long and I'm itching to get out somewhere soon.  But I'm not a big fan of doing 6 hours in the mud.

Thanks!

Doc

My son and I are heading up to our cottage in Oscoda this weekend and will hopefully get some riding in.

• Like 3

On 4/25/2018 at 8:31 AM, Doc_d said:

@John Underwood hopefully someone can answer your questions.  But either way if you make it out this weekend, if you could post a report I'd appreciate it.

This winter has been waaaaayyyy too long and I'm itching to get out somewhere soon.  But I'm not a big fan of doing 6 hours in the mud.

Thanks!

Doc

Ended up riding the MCCT in White Cloud. The trails were dry and a little on the dusty side.  Overall a good ride but there are some whooped out sections. 

• Like 2

Rode Holton Friday, trail was dry and debris was cleared. A guy who was riding there said he went last week and it was 90% snow with trees across trails in a couple spots. But it's all clear except for leaves because not many people been on it. Still whooped out on straight aways,  but that's Holton for ya.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Thanks for the update @John Underwood!  @yellow_busa Did you make it out?  If so how were the trails?

Thanks!

Doc

We made it to the Oscoda area and all the open trails were clear but a good amount of water in the low areas still. In the woods it was about 90% clear with 10% snow left in low dark areas. I would assume that the snow will be all gone in the next couple of days. We also made it over to Rose City and the conditions were about the same. It got done into the low 30's at night but was in the 50's during the day this last weekend. It is supposed to warm up into the 60's this week

• Like 3

I was out there at Denton last Sunday and it was ride-able overall.  The southern part of the loop was completely snow/ice free and pretty darn dusty.  The northern part had some small ice patches on the trail still.  But I would guess after this week they are gone.  Did not see any trees down, someone must have cleared it already.  There were some pretty good sized water holes as you usually see this time of year. Some heavy logging going on out there on the northeast corner.  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2018 at 3:37 PM, byz250F said:

Anyone know condition of Geels, or Denton trails?

GLDS brushed/etc all of Geels last weekend. North is wet, south is fine. Snow and ice effectively gone.

My 12yo went all the way around on his 230, so it's rideable/passable with some caution on the wetter spots.

I plan to grade it in the next week or two, if I can time it between rain storms.

I'd say wet for this weekend. But groomer as hit some trails. Lincoln Hills and Little Manistee have been groomed.

I was thinking about a quick trip up to something in the Rose City area the middle of this week.  Does anyone know if that area got all the rain we had down here in SE Michigan?  We had about 2.5" here over the last few days.

Doc

I was thinking about a quick trip up to something in the Rose City area the middle of this week.  Does anyone know if that area got all the rain we had down here in SE Michigan?  We had about 2.5" here over the last few days.

Doc

My friend on Mack Lake got some last week. I'd be willing to bet it's not too dry yet.

And if I wasn't having surgery Tuesday, I'd say let's meet up. Have fun !

• Like 1

I rode Tin cup on 4-30-18. Trail was clear but 60-70% whoops. Stood almost entire loop.

Rode Little Manistee South on 4-30-18. Very dry, but freshly groomed. I was first track on it.

Stayed at Cherrieville Campground.

Rode Little Manistee North into Lincoln hills a little way. North was being groomed same day.

Wherever trail wasn't groomed it was whooped out.

Rode Tomahawk c loop on 5-5-2018. Trail was clear of snow but Many, many, trees down.

Loop took an hour longer than usual. There was less than 1% snow. Only snow was on road parts of trail.

• Like 1

I will be riding Bull Gap this weekend with some family on quads. Has anyone been on the trail this year and know the condition of it?

TIA

Dustin

• Like 1

I ran out for a quick ride at Ambrose Lake today.  The Ambrose loop was completely dry, no down trees and zero whoops.  I did the MCCCT trail down to Ogemaw Hills.  There were some trees down and a few mud holes.  I made a poor choice on one of them and got the bike stuck for a few minutes.  I planned to ride up the MCCCT trail to Rose City but ran out of time.

All in all it was good riding.

Doc

• Like 2

My 13 year old son and I rode Evart for the first time on Sunday afternoon and had the whole place to ourselves save for 1 car in the lot. Never saw another bike on the trail. My boy did really well for his first time on single track, I however, need another couple inches of leg length before I can handle my XR400 with any confidence. We ran right around 10 miles total and had a blast. I kept looking back to see if he was ok on some of the sketchy sections and of course, he was and I promptly crashed when I turned back to the trail... Great time though and the trail was in good shape. Ran into one spot on what I think is the East leg of the trail heading back to the lot where it looked almost like someone had blocked the trail with a bunch of trees and brush. It was near the 2 track, so I'm not sure. We followed a new path around it and didn't get a good look to see what was going on. 

• Like 2

My 13 year old son and I rode Evart for the first time on Sunday afternoon and had the whole place to ourselves save for 1 car in the lot. Never saw another bike on the trail. My boy did really well for his first time on single track, I however, need another couple inches of leg length before I can handle my XR400 with any confidence. We ran right around 10 miles total and had a blast. I kept looking back to see if he was ok on some of the sketchy sections and of course, he was and I promptly crashed when I turned back to the trail... Great time though and the trail was in good shape. Ran into one spot on what I think is the East leg of the trail heading back to the lot where it looked almost like someone had blocked the trail with a bunch of trees and brush. It was near the 2 track, so I'm not sure. We followed a new path around it and didn't get a good look to see what was going on. 
It was Mother's day weekend and early yet. Glad you enjoyed your ride. I'd like to try the trails but haven't anyone to ride with.
Im looking to sell my DRZ for an IT or KDX or possibly a XTrainer.

@RK-REX Evart is a fun trail albeit a bit short, but you can always ride it in both directions and I think you can get 46 miles in.  I guess we're blessed here in Michigan.  We consider a 23 mile trail ia little short when guys in other states are happy to have a few hundred acres to ride in with 100 other riders.

Anyway, if I remember correctly they rerouted a section of trail to avoid a wet area last year.  I suspect that might be the blocked off section you are talking about.  When I ran into it last year it had just been blocked off and there was no clear trail around it.  I had to get off the bike and hike around looking where to pick up the trail a couple hundred yards away.  I ended up riding across a side hill that was pretty slick since there was no trail worn into it yet.  With no bench cut in the side of the hill I dropped the bike when the rear tire lost traction and slid down the hill.   I realized I had taken a pretty stupid route.  I'd be curious to see if others followed that same route or found a better way.

I'm hoping to get up there in the next couple weeks and check it out.

Doc