Jump to content

Michigan Michigan Trail Condition Thread - Please post

Recommended Posts

Day 2 - we stayed in Saint Ignace.  Had planned to go ride the rocks on Drummond Island.  Woke up again to pouring rain.  Looked clear to the south, so we headed that direction.  Rode Rose City.  Basically a large 4 wheeler trail.  Very open and wide, but in good condition.  Flows well, so we were able to run pretty fast.  Just had to really watch for the 4 wheelers coming the other direction.

 

IMG_2337.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 3 - stayed in Kalkaska.  Raining again when we woke up.  Planned to ride Tomahawk C, and the weather finally cooperated.  What a fantastic trail - by far my favorite Michigan trail so far!  Good elevation changes, lots of obstacles as quite a few trees had fallen.  Most already had light tracks where others had re-routed, and others we had to wing it.  One very large tree literally fell right behind my son-in-law, just in front of my son.   Overall, the trail was in excellent condition.  All four of us had a blast on this one, even our newest rider, my new daughter-in-law.  Definitely on my "ride again" list next time I make it back up to Michigan.  Will need to spend 3 days doing all the Tomahawk trails.

My son and I had both just bought new 2018 Beta XTrainers.  I thought I'd be miserable on the stock suspension (dressed out weight around 220lbs). My son weighs about 160 lbs dressed out.  Both of us were very impressed with these bikes.  Suspension on the single track and obstacles felt very good.  It even handled to whoops really well, which was my biggest surprise.   I'm holding off on any suspension changes until I've ridden it longer.  Low end power, and overall power was fantastic.  Ergonomics were also great.  If I had ridden my Husky FE501, I would have been beat to death every day.  The Beta was pretty effortless to ride.  I like the smaller stature, and definitely like the light weight.

Many thanks to Hollywood_72, Danceswithtrees, and Skidooboy for all your help this week.  Great time!

 

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me the current conditions at Evart? I'm 4 hours away in Ohio, just looking to ride some single track this weekend. I may do the dual sport ride in southern Ohio this weekend, instead, but the weather looks like it will be great up there. Anyone else riding Evart on Saturday? Not sure how I feel about going somewhere new by myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chevy_97 said:

Can anyone tell me the current conditions at Evart? I'm 4 hours away in Ohio, just looking to ride some single track this weekend. I may do the dual sport ride in southern Ohio this weekend, instead, but the weather looks like it will be great up there. Anyone else riding Evart on Saturday? Not sure how I feel about going somewhere new by myself. 

Don't quote me exactly, but I saw someplace, maybe facebook, but I think they said it was in decent shape. I'd ride it by myself, just drop down a level from where you are at with a group. You know what I mean, rather than saying, "I wonder if I can make that?", put it on the list for next time when you have another rider or two with you. Let us know how it goes. 

Cheers

Edited by RK-REX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RK-REX said:

Don't quote me exactly, but I saw someplace, maybe facebook, but I think they said it was in decent shape. I'd ride it by myself, just drop down a level from where you are at with a group. You know what I mean, rather than saying, "I wonder if I can make that?", put it on the list for next time when you have another rider or two with you. Let us know how it goes. 

Cheers

+1.  Haven't ridden Evert in several months, so don't know its current condition.  It gets a good amount of traffic, so I'm assuming it is in pretty good ridable shape.  For that area of Michigan, it's among the more technical, with a couple of small rocky hillclimbs and falls toward the back.  It also has a number of long, sandy whoop sections.  Overall, a fun trail.  Bring plenty of water.

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last report I read the cycle trail was blocked by trees. But the multi use trails had been cleared and groomed.
Often locals will clear trails, and doesn't get reported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

+1.  Haven't ridden Evert in several months, so don't know its current condition.  It gets a good amount of traffic, so I'm assuming it is in pretty good ridable shape.  For that area of Michigan, it's among the more technical, with a couple of small rocky hillclimbs and falls toward the back.  It also has a number of long, sandy whoop sections.  Overall, a fun trail.  Bring plenty of water.

Evart Cycle Trail closed for cleanup of debris

The Evart Cycle Trail in the Northern Lower Peninsula has been closed temporarily due to storm damage. It is unknown when the trail will re-open. (Updated 9/4/18)

 

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79137_79770_79781---,00.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RK-REX said:

Well crap... it must have been another trail that I heard about. Sorry for my incorrect info.

Oh well, it gives the OP a chance to go hit Tomahawk!  I know it's in great shape unless SHTF since Sunday.  And, it's a much better trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have suggestions for a Single Track trail North of Grand Rapids? Evart is closed from my understanding (storms) and we are looking to try something different other than M-20 or Double O. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dozer996 said:

Anyone have suggestions for a Single Track trail North of Grand Rapids? Evart is closed from my understanding (storms) and we are looking to try something different other than M-20 or Double O. 

Thanks

Cedar Creek, just east of Muskegon is a decent trail.  A lot less soft sand and whoops than most anything else in the area.  About 22 miles all told.

If you don't mind another hour or so of driving, Tomahawk is an awesome trail.  We rode the C trail the weekend before last.  It's in good shape (a few trees to go over or around).   Very little whoops, a lot of elevation changes.  There is one sandy road you have to ride for about 2-3 miles, but other than that, the trail has very little sand, relative to most trails in the area.  Can't wait to get back up there and hit that one again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dozer996 said:

Anyone have suggestions for a Single Track trail North of Grand Rapids? Evart is closed from my understanding (storms) and we are looking to try something different other than M-20 or Double O. 

Thanks

Cedar Creek is cool but not ST.  Holton or Horseshoe are a stone throw away and single track.  I live right between all of them.  About an hour from GR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We decided on Lincoln Hills Motorcycle Trail, any input from recent rides there?

I’ve ridden Cedar multiple times this summer and M-20 trailhead...looking for something different.

Is Holton and Horseshoe worth a try?

A recent ride in the UP (Sandtown) has me looking for more single track!!!

Thanks all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dozer996 said:

We decided on Lincoln Hills Motorcycle Trail, any input from recent rides there?

I’ve ridden Cedar multiple times this summer and M-20 trailhead...looking for something different.

Is Holton and Horseshoe worth a try?

A recent ride in the UP (Sandtown) has me looking for more single track!!!

Thanks all

I'd do holton over ceder creek any day...

I am not a fan of sand...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lincoln Hills Motorcycle Trail was fun today, looks like the trail was groomed recently too.
Riding partner blew out his front tube in the first 4 Miles :( He made it around, the conditions for the most part was that light black sand, not too soft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 https://www.facebook.com/200422816680896/posts/2074218062634686/

 

Please not the caution of high winds. We had bad storms, that left a lot of "widow" makers. The forecasted winds will bring them down.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added a thread in this forum with all of the links to DNR websites for the Michigan trail systems if anyone needs to check and see if there are issues with their destination. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A co-worker of mine hunts around the Evart trail. Him and some fellow locals went out and cleared a bunch if trees. He said was plenty of bikes on Evart trail this past weekend... October 6-7th

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you had to ride Horseshoe or Holton Single Tracks which one would it be?
Holton is a mix of tight single track and wide open snowmobile trails. Horseshoe Lake is really tight and slow. First time I've used first gear on my bike since I regeared. There are a lot of two tracks around the trails you can ride if you're plated but I worry about redneck trucks flying through the trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×