Doc_d

Michigan Michigan Trail Condition Thread - Please post

Holton is a mix of tight single track and wide open snowmobile trails. Horseshoe Lake is really tight and slow. First time I've used first gear on my bike since I regeared. There are a lot of two tracks around the trails you can ride if you're plated but I worry about redneck trucks flying through the trails.

We ended up going to Horseshoe yesterday, lots of leaves down and pretty fun trail. We ended up on the plated section...my throttle cable frayed and I lost power :( pushed the bike out and loaded up on the side of the road. I think we would go back for sure. Great day for riding!!!
  • Like 1

My son, daughter-in-law and I rode Tomahawk B on Saturday and Tomahawk C on Sunday.  Both trails were in awesome condition.  Leaves are falling and starting to cover some sections, but traction is very good.   Rode C last month when I was up, so it was great to also have a chance to ride B this time.  By far, my favorite Michigan trails so far.   Probably now stuck down south until you guys thaw out next spring.  

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, Kalamazoo said:

Can you ride along the road in Oceana County, specifically at horseshoe? 

Don't quote me, but I think that it is legal in every county North of Midland county. I have a post in this part of the forum with map links, I thi9nk there is a section in one of them for rules and such. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RK-REX said:

Don't quote me, but I think that it is legal in every county North of Midland county. I have a post in this part of the forum with map links, I thi9nk there is a section in one of them for rules and such. 

I know you can't in Muskegon, but I've never ridden horseshoe and just realized it wasn't in Muskegon county. 

I'm not plated so I typically ride Cedar Creek and what I can of Holton. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kalamazoo said:

I know you can't in Muskegon, but I've never ridden horseshoe and just realized it wasn't in Muskegon county. 

I'm not plated so I typically ride Cedar Creek and what I can of Holton. 

I better store that info away to keep me from getting a ticket. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, John Underwood said:

Well Shit, Leavitt and Newfield are the two townships directly north of horseshoe (Greenfield Township) 

20 hours ago, dozer996 said:

I watched 2 side by sides pass me on the road (Horseshoe) when we were loading my broken down bike.

How much road must you travel? I'm considering pushing the bike along the road if not that far. 

It would be a touch far for pushing but from what we got to ride it was smooth and fun!!!! I kept telling the guys we were with that we needed to be plated but they ignored me. Karma I suppose that my throttle cable broke right!!!

• Helpful 1

I think if I had a bike malfunction, I'd take my chances on the roads to get back to the trailhead.  I would think/hope the LEO's would have some compassion if one has proof of a clutch or throttle cable failure, etc.  

• Like 3

I can't say for sure but I know a few weeks back a buddy of mine that hunts in that exact area went out with a few other guys and cleared down trees from the evart trail.

Hmmmmm. I rode it around 10/1 and there were some monster trees down on the NW section of the trail and I heard from a friend that the trail was impassable from the southern parking lot.  

Hmmmmm. I rode it around 10/1 and there were some monster trees down on the NW section of the trail and I heard from a friend that the trail was impassable from the southern parking lot.  
They are still listed on MCCC as closed. But people have been working on them.
http://cccmi.net/
  • Like 1

Anybody have a trail report for Cedar Creek and the surrounding trails? This weekend looks "nice" but I'd rather not ride pure mud all day.

When do trails get rideable in northern michigan? Snow will be gone in a few weeks where I live. trying to plan a trip around traverse city for middle of April. Is snow normally gone by then?