pat22043

Pennsylvania Famous Reading Outdoors riding meetup thread

I am planning on riding Sunday at FRO if I don't race in NJ
I'm cancelling for Sunday. Weather just doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Looking forward to next Saturday 5/12.

So, anyone riding tomorrow?

I would like to ride with you provided your skill level is is not to good I’m not even going to try to keep up with you guys

No weekend ride for me however I may be looking for a Tuesday partner assuming I can pick up my bike that morning. If not then next Sunday if I don’t race at Blue Mountain. (Mother’s Day will be taken care of Saturday )

I’m good for tomorrow. 9am at Valley. I’m in for the nastiest gnarliest single track we can find. 

I’m in for the nastiest gnarliest single track we can find. 

I can provide. Just not tomorrow. PM me sometime.

1 hour ago, Mikezx18 said:

I’m good for tomorrow. 9am at Valley. I’m in for the nastiest gnarliest single track we can find. 

Ah oh. Better be careful what you wish for. That’s like a mating call to Frank! 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

I may be looking for a Tuesday partner assuming I can pick up my bike that morning. 

Tuesday might work well for me. lets check as we get closer

9 hours ago, Mikezx18 said:

Mark your calendar Mike.  Ride RAC gnarly singletrack until you say uncle:

https://www.rorr.org/broad-mountain-enduro/

• Like 3

Myself and three other guys that are on ThumperTalk going to be at dark water 10 AM kick stands up at 10:30 if anybody cares to join us

3 hours ago, _N8_ said:

Mark your calendar Mike.  Ride RAC gnarly singletrack until you say uncle:

https://www.rorr.org/broad-mountain-enduro/

I’d probably ride this but I don’t know anything about the time keeping enduros. You and I rode on same line at Delaware. I was on the 250, buddy’s with Tim. Great time after the pain wore off lol. 

• Like 1

Its good to see guys stating skill level in the ride meet ups. I've been on both sides of this.  It sucks to show up and try and keep up with much faster guys and it REALLY sucks when you want to hit hard shit at a good pace and your waiting for people all day.  A little pre ride communication can prevent that.  

What I learned through much trial and Error  is this

Ride protocol is- set yourself up with riders with similar skill level.  Show up on time and get ready to go.  Save the BSing for the breaks during the ride (don't sit in the lot dicking off when everyone else is dressed and ready to ride).  And Don't let anyone behind out on the trail.  

I have my ride crew of 4-5 guys, we are all similar skill, nobody has to sit around waiting for others to catch up and we know we can trust each other to be on time and get back home safe.  Its awesome! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jochuma3 said:

Its good to see guys stating skill level in the ride meet ups. I've been on both sides of this

Yeah, IMHO its very important to have similar skills in the group. Or to at least have the fast guys know and be willing to have us slow guys ride with them. Doctor John is way faster than I am, but he seems to be happy to stop and let me catch up.

There is a hidden issue that the fast guys don't see or understand:
The group heads down a trail section, fast guys first, then medium, then slow. We slow guys fight and stall and fall and get up and finish. We are exhausted. We follow the trail to where the fast guys are taking a break and benchracing. As soon soon as they see us slow folks, they get on their bikes and start up to ride.

This does not work, we slow folks are exhausted and need a break. We don't need to join up and then get going again. We need to rest

So its better for all to have less differences in skills and speeds, or to have two trails, one challenging and long and one less hard and short, so the groups can split, take separate trails and meet up, with the slow folks getting there first and resting.

Back On Topic, tomorrow (Sunday) I'm taking my trials bike to White Rose. Hope I can get some riding in between the rain. Trials guys love riding in slop, mud with zero traction. It shows off their skills better. Me, I have no skillz on the trials bike. I can barely ride it on dry level trails. But it is fun

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Yeah, IMHO its very important to have similar skills in the group. Or to at least have the fast guys know and be willing to have us slow guys ride with them. Doctor John is way faster than I am, but he seems to be happy to stop and let me catch up.

There is a hidden issue that the fast guys don't see or understand:
The group heads down a trail section, fast guys first, then medium, then slow. We slow guys fight and stall and fall and get up and finish. We are exhausted. We follow the trail to where the fast guys are taking a break and benchracing. As soon soon as they see us slow folks, they get on their bikes and start up to ride.

This does not work, we slow folks are exhausted and need a break. We don't need to join up and then get going again. We need to rest

So its better for all to have less differences in skills and speeds, or to have two trails, one challenging and long and one less hard and short, so the groups can split, take separate trails and meet up, with the slow folks getting there first and resting.

Back On Topic, tomorrow (Sunday) I'm taking my trials bike to White Rose. Hope I can get some riding in between the rain. Trials guys love riding in slop, mud with zero traction. It shows off their skills better. Me, I have no skillz on the trials bike. I can barely ride it on dry level trails. But it is fun

Pat-

Me and Frank will be at White Rose tommorrow- its going to be a wash out! I'm getting there early and putting up an EZ up that we can sit under -  bring a lawn chair and feel free to join us out of the rain. 

1 hour ago, jochuma3 said:

Me and Frank will be at White Rose tommorrow- its going to be a wash out! I'm getting there early and putting up an EZ up that we can sit under -  bring a lawn chair and feel free to join us out of the rain. 

I'll bring my EZup and we can have twice the space to stay out of the rain. But I want to get wet too

Myself and three other guys that are on ThumperTalk going to be at dark water 10 AM kick stands up at 10:30 if anybody cares to join us

Its good to see guys stating skill level in the ride meet ups. I've been on both sides of this.  It sucks to show up and try and keep up with much faster guys and it REALLY sucks when you want to hit hard shit at a good pace and your waiting for people all day.  A little pre ride communication can prevent that.  
What I learned through much trial and Error  is this
Ride protocol is- set yourself up with riders with similar skill level.  Show up on time and get ready to go.  Save the BSing for the breaks during the ride (don't sit in the lot dicking off when everyone else is dressed and ready to ride).  And Don't let anyone behind out on the trail.  
I have my ride crew of 4-5 guys, we are all similar skill, nobody has to sit around waiting for others to catch up and we know we can trust each other to be on time and get back home safe.  Its awesome! 

You’re absolutely right about that I try to no longer ride with guys that are above my skill level unless they want to take it easy and slow I turned around just the other day after we rode maybe a 1/2?mile and I said see you guys later because they were a football length a head me in a matter of minutes

You’re bailing on the other ride tomorrow?

You’re bailing on the other ride tomorrow?

No absolutely not why would you say that