pat22043

Pennsylvania Famous Reading Outdoors riding meetup thread

8 hours ago, Southernend said:

I’d probably ride this but I don’t know anything about the time keeping enduros. You and I rode on same line at Delaware. I was on the 250, buddy’s with Tim. Great time after the pain wore off lol. 

Hey George!  I told Tim today he needs to get a Checkmate.  You can ride that enduro and have fun without timekeeping if you don't care about your score sucking (in case you come in early and burn checks).  Otherwise you need to get on a row with someone who can keep time.  Bob will be running it and won't be on our row because we pre-entered and want to be ahead of the C guys...you could ride his row if you want.  It's a little tricky when you try to keep time for someone that's faster than you though.

Yea I talked to Tim today. We’re gonna try to work it out with Bob and Sam. Hopefully I’ll see u guys end of the month. 

8 hours ago, RandyNJ said:

Any slow guys free to ride Wednesday or Thursday?  

I'm gonna be riding with a fairly new guy on Thursday, and maybe with Mr&Mrs on Tuesday, weather depending, etc.
Thursday has been planned forever due to Kevin's schedule. He's been out maybe 3 or 4 times, so not a pure beginner, but still need to keep it mellow. I'm not sure which bike I'll bring for him, I might be very evil and bring a KTM300.....

• Like 1

I'm gonna be riding with a fairly new guy on Thursday, and maybe with Mr&Mrs on Tuesday, weather depending, etc.
Thursday has been planned forever due to Kevin's schedule. He's been out maybe 3 or 4 times, so not a pure beginner, but still need to keep it mellow. I'm not sure which bike I'll bring for him, I might be very evil and bring a KTM300.....

I put a map switch on my to mellow it out I love it.

13 hours ago, pat22043 said:

Ok.   Tuesday is no good for me.  We'll keep an eye on weather for Thursday.  Thanks!

Hello all, I just got my access permit and I want to check it out Friday or Saturday but I've never been there. Is anyone planning on going either of those days I could tag along with?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p3ace101 said:

Hello all, I just got my access permit and I want to check it out Friday or Saturday but I've never been there. Is anyone planning on going either of those days I could tag along with?

I can't this week, but I expect you will find a bunch of folks at least for Saturday. But future Fridays, yeah, I'm interested.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, jochuma3 said:

Its good to see guys stating skill level in the ride meet ups. I've been on both sides of this.  It sucks to show up and try and keep up with much faster guys and it REALLY sucks when you want to hit hard shit at a good pace and your waiting for people all day.  A little pre ride communication can prevent that.  

What I learned through much trial and Error  is this

Ride protocol is- set yourself up with riders with similar skill level.  Show up on time and get ready to go.  Save the BSing for the breaks during the ride (don't sit in the lot dicking off when everyone else is dressed and ready to ride).  And Don't let anyone behind out on the trail.  

I have my ride crew of 4-5 guys, we are all similar skill, nobody has to sit around waiting for others to catch up and we know we can trust each other to be on time and get back home safe.  Its awesome! 

Can't agree with you more.  Good thing for everyone.    PK

50 minutes ago, pek said:

Can't agree with you more.  Good thing for everyone.    PK

For those that haven't met PK, aka Paul, he is over 80 and way faster than a lot of guys half his age. He is also nice enough to stop to let a slow younger guy ride with him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

For those that haven't met PK, aka Paul, he is over 80 and way faster than a lot of guys half his age. He is also nice enough to stop to let a slow younger guy ride with him.

Again Pat, you're too kind & by the way, its been awhile since we've bumped into each other on the trail. Might happen this Thursday if you're out & about. We should hit Burma rd. At about 8:00.  Play it safe.   PK

37 minutes ago, pek said:

Thursday if you're out & about. We should hit Burma rd. At about 8:00.  

That is way too early for me, but I'm thinking Burma about 10, so I'll look for you on the trails

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, RandyNJ said:

Any slow guys free to ride Wednesday or Thursday?  

I'm about as slow as they come.  I still need to get a 2018 permit but I intend to do so in the next couple weeks.

6 hours ago, Father Emmett said:

I'm about as slow as they come.  I still need to get a 2018 permit but I intend to do so in the next couple weeks.

I bought mine online and printed out a temporary pass

1 hour ago, RandyNJ said:

I bought mine online and printed out a temporary pass

You can do that, or pick one up in person on the way to the trailhead. Mattos, Gap Racing, Schaeffers KTM/CanAm and of course RAC HQ in pottsville have them. RAC HQ is only open normal business hours. Mattos and Schaeffers are open Saturday and closed Monday, Gap Racing is open Monday

21 hours ago, pat22043 said:

That is way too early for me, but I'm thinking Burma about 10, so I'll look for you on the trails

GOTCHA.   PK

21 hours ago, Father Emmett said:

Just a word to the wise, I was riding last Tuesday with two guys & crossed rt. 901 into the pines. Road through the pines back to 901 & a guy walked up to us & asked if we  had our permits. It was a group of 3 that were checking to see if we were legal.  Told us that the State Police would also be checking permits.  They will be ticketing riders that do not have permits. Do not know the amount of the fine but I'm told its more then a Permit.       PK

On 5/7/2018 at 11:55 AM, pat22043 said:

It will be my 1st time there.  Are the parking areas easy to find, or can you point me to an easier to find landmark nearby?

The official site has parking places.  https://readingoutdoors.com/trails-parking-entry-maps

Burma Rd, Lot #1  40.727645, -76.178704
Starting in St Clair, take East Hancock St to the east, it changes name to Burma Road. Go up the hill about 1/2 mile, parking lot on left.

Darkwater, lot #2.  40.732054, -76.208482
~~254 Darkwater Lane
Pottsville, PA 17901

Lot #3 St. Kierns / Valley Road   40.717462, -76.295544

590 Valley Rd, Pottsville, PA 17901

6 hours ago, pek said:

Just a word to the wise, I was riding last Tuesday with two guys & crossed rt. 901 into the pines. Road through the pines back to 901 & a guy walked up to us & asked if we  had our permits. It was a group of 3 that were checking to see if we were legal.  Told us that the State Police would also be checking permits.  They will be ticketing riders that do not have permits. Do not know the amount of the fine but I'm told its more then a Permit.       PK

If state police are being used to check permits on private land, that is some epic waste of state resources!  

• Like 1