pat22043

Pennsylvania Famous Reading Outdoors riding meetup thread

33 minutes ago, Shadowflag said:

If state police are being used to check permits on private land, that is some epic waste of state resources!  

I initially agreed with this statement. But then I thought about it.  If I owned land and people were trespassing illegally on my property - I would expect the police to help protect my land.  I pay taxes and those taxes go to police and in turn they are expected to help keep my property secure.   So Mr. Rich pays a shit ton of taxes on that land- doesn't he have the right to have the police help protect his land from tresspassers ?   

2 minutes ago, jochuma3 said:

I initially agreed with this statement. But then I thought about it.  If I owned land and people were trespassing illegally on my property - I would expect the police to help protect my land.  I pay taxes and those taxes go to police and in turn they are expected to help keep my property secure.   So Mr. Rich pays a shit ton of taxes on that land- doesn't he have the right to have the police help protect his land from tresspassers ?   

In theory, maybe... does that mean that AOAA should have PSP permit checkers as well as Rausch Creek, Lost trails, and any other land management company?  RAC is operating as a business.  They don't have PSP at the Phillies games making sure you have a ticket.

If found to be trespassing, THEN the police have a duty to come and arrest.

For the record, I am a happily paying permit holder.  I just don't think it's the job of the PSP to check for permits

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shadowflag said:

In theory, maybe... does that mean that AOAA should have PSP permit checkers as well as Rausch Creek, Lost trails, and any other land management company?  RAC is operating as a business.  They don't have PSP at the Phillies games making sure you have a ticket.

If found to be trespassing, THEN the police have a duty to come and arrest.

For the record, I am a happily paying permit holder.  I just don't think it's the job of the PSP to check for permits

All good points and I don't disagree. Besides, there are  major drug problems in that area- people are ODing ever week- so its not like the PSP dosent have other things to deal with.   

• Like 1

Is also my understanding that there are two former state cops as security detail now. I can answer that trespassing fine question because I asked him.

With fees $500

A cited person has 10 days to buy a permit at which time the trespassing charge will be revoked. Seems fair to me.

• Like 2

That seems very generous of RAC to allow those caught to buy a pass and avoid the ticket.  Anyone know if there are any plans to offer a visitor’s day pass for a fee?

• Like 1

I forgot to put my windshield parking pass on last ride, they were very nice and left me a warning. Don't forget your vehicle too

• Like 1

That seems very generous of RAC to allow those caught to buy a pass and avoid the ticket.  Anyone know if there are any plans to offer a visitor’s day pass for a fee?

$45 bucks. Go to their website. Yes it’s steep but the idea is that they didn’t want to deal with a bunch of one use only riders liken aoaa. They’d rather just sell a permit. My understanding is that $45 can be put towards a permit.

9 hours ago, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

$45 bucks. Go to their website. Yes it’s steep but the idea is that they didn’t want to deal with a bunch of one use only riders liken aoaa. They’d rather just sell a permit. My understanding is that $45 can be put towards a permit.

Link for that?

The daily link I found takes you to the Annual Access Permit option with no mention of the daily...

17 minutes ago, N3YMY said:

Link for that?

The daily link I found takes you to the Annual Access Permit option with no mention of the daily...

I contacted them, they had to take down the daily pass link for some technical issues

• Like 1

Link for that?

I just tried to do the same. I’ll shoot them a message about the fault in the link.

I'm going to be going Friday for the first time. Anyone else going that I could tag along with?

I really like that idea. As inconvenient as not having a cheap day pass for taking occasional friends, having to buy a season pass makes you much more invested in the long-term success of the riding area. If you just buy a day pass you don't have any allegiance to keeping the area open. The season pass caters to more serious riders who are going to use it more and take care of it better.

I don't think they should have day passes open to the public I think they should only allow day passes if you already have a season pass as a way to take a guest.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Shadowflag said:

If state police are being used to check permits on private land, that is some epic waste of state resources!  

I did not feel the State police were checking anything on private land,  but it would not suprise me if every so often they may set up a check point at places like where you would cross a state road, like  rt. 901.  This is all brand new stuff this year.  May take a while for things to settle in.  Have fun out there.   PK

15 hours ago, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

Is also my understanding that there are two former state cops as security detail now. I can answer that trespassing fine question because I asked him.

With fees $500

A cited person has 10 days to buy a permit at which time the trespassing charge will be revoked. Seems fair to me.

Its good to hear something on a positive note.   PK

12 hours ago, bikesandcars said:

I forgot to put my windshield parking pass on last ride, they were very nice and left me a warning. Don't forget your vehicle too

Yeah Brother,  bin there.   PK

On 5/7/2018 at 11:55 AM, pat22043 said:

That is way too early for me, but I'm thinking Burma about 10, so I'll look for you on the trails

I'm coming from a ways away,  I'll aim to be there before 9:30.   I'll be driving a black Colorado with an old KDX200 on the back

29 minutes ago, RandyNJ said:

I'm coming from a ways away,  I'll aim to be there before 9:30.   I'll be driving a black Colorado with an old KDX200 on the back

White Mitsubishi SUV with aluminum trailer, two KTMs in trailer, KTM front plate on SUV
KDX200 is an underrated bike for FRO

Edited by pat22043

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

White Mitsubishi SUV with aluminum trailer, two KTMs in trailer, KTM front plate on SUV
KDX200 is an underrated bike for FRO

Emphasis on "old"  KDX.   1987.  Overall a clean bike for it's age.   New piston, crank seals and bearings, replated cylinder, rebuilt carb,  all done over the winter

• Like 2