pat22043

Pennsylvania
RAC riding meetup thread

1,460 posts in this topic

I suggest we use a separate thread, this one, for short term postings where folks want to ride some Reading Anthracite Corporation land, and leave the "info" thread for information about permits, where the land is, trailheads, etc. The "info' thread is http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1156567-reading-anthraciteanthracite-outdoor-adventure-info-and-ride-thread/page-10

Its supposed to be really nice weather this week, specifically March 8 & 9th. I'd love to ride up near St Clair.

3 people like this

Good Idea Pat-  this will be easier to keep track of the rides.  I have plans to ride AOA on Saturday this week (Pat your more than welcome to join that one) , but I am looking to get to RAC next weekend for sure.  Hey Pat- do you have off on Fridays by any chance-?   Im off on Fridays and it is a good day to ride - but of course theres not many other guys that can get out on a Friday -

If anybody is off on Fridays and wants to do some RAC rides- do let me know.  

Lastly, to add one thing. When putting a planned ride up on this thread I think it would help every one if we also tried to also give the "level" of the planned ride (A,B, C, or dual sport/easy).  I know from experience that if a couple of "A guys "on KTMs are doing a ride and a guy shows up that has only been riding for a month or two and he is trying to keep up- it isn't that fun for anyone and could be dangerous even.   Just things I think about now in my 40's that I never thought about when I was 25!  

JC   

I am retired, so I can ride mid-week as easy or maybe easier than weekends. I love riding when the trails are empty, but I don't feel comfortable riding alone, its a big place and one can get hurt.

I like the idea of "level"

If I entered competitions, I'd be a C--- or a D rider, even tho I ride a KTM. I can get through many of the rock gardens at RAC, it is RAC after all.

Pat-

this sounds really good.  I have been looking for a weekday riding partner for some time now- Im able to manipulate my work schedule for mid week riding fairly well.  I also work in Potsville 2 days a week- so it is very tempting to work half the day and then hit the trails in the afternoon - since I am right there anyway.  I would also be  "C Senior class"   meaning I can ride most anything - but I do it much slower and safer than I once did (it hurts a lot more when I het the ground these days)  

As far as riding goes, I can ride on either Wednesdays or Fridays  most weeks-  One thing, I do need to take care of some things in the morning before I start riding or in the afternoon after I am finished.  So generally on a Wednesday I can start the ride till maybe 12noonish but then I am good for the rest of the day.  Fridays I can't really start the ride till about 10am and usually have to check back in with work about 4.    

Looking ahead to next week.  Wednesday 16th  is looking like 65 and sunshine -   would you have any interest in trying to ride that day.  I would be able to meet you around 12 noon and with the time change this week we will have sunlight until well after 6PM.  If that day isn't good , then I am off Friday the 18th as well.

Keep in touch

John  

Pat-

this sounds really good.  I have been looking for a weekday riding partner for some time now- Im able to manipulate my work schedule for mid week riding fairly well.  I also work in Potsville 2 days a week- so it is very tempting to work half the day and then hit the trails in the afternoon - since I am right there anyway.  I would also be  "C Senior class"   meaning I can ride most anything - but I do it much slower and safer than I once did (it hurts a lot more when I het the ground these days)  

As far as riding goes, I can ride on either Wednesdays or Fridays  most weeks-  One thing, I do need to take care of some things in the morning before I start riding or in the afternoon after I am finished.  So generally on a Wednesday I can start the ride till maybe 12noonish but then I am good for the rest of the day.  Fridays I can't really start the ride till about 10am and usually have to check back in with work about 4.    

Looking ahead to next week.  Wednesday 16th  is looking like 65 and sunshine -   would you have any interest in trying to ride that day.  I would be able to meet you around 12 noon and with the time change this week we will have sunlight until well after 6PM.  If that day isn't good , then I am off Friday the 18th as well.

Keep in touch

John  

hey man would love to get a ride together especially during the wk. I work on a tugboat and my schedule is 2wks on 2 off so I'm down to travel and have to cuz my area(eastern shore md)  is flatland so riding is lame. just got back from Carolina adventure world(everyone should go there once before dying) and road all the expert trails no probs .

Wednesday March 16.  12:30 

Pat and I will be trying to meet up and do a RAC ride next Wednesday-  Ready to ride at 12:30.  Level would be "C - senior"  (we ride the good stuff but do it slower than younger guys).

Stay tuned for the exact location as we get closer but the day and the time are set.   (I hate to even say this but it just happened to me yesterday when I was out - please don't show up without a RAC pass and want to ride with us-  that puts us all in a bad spot)   

2 people like this

Hey guys I'm starting a new job on Monday working 4-10's so I'll have off every Friday, I would love getting together and riding with some guys and getting to know my way around. I would consider myself a senior "c" also,,Back in the day easily a solid "B" but I just got back into riding casually this past year or so. I'm 48 and ride a 2008 ktm 250xc that's plated. Thanks

1 person likes this

Hey guys I'm starting a new job on Monday working 4-10's so I'll have off every Friday, I would love getting together and riding with some guys and getting to know my way around. I would consider myself a senior "c" also,,Back in the day easily a solid "B" but I just got back into riding casually this past year or so. I'm 48 and ride a 2008 ktm 250xc that's plated. Thanks

Sounds good,  As I said, I am off most Fridays-  Next Friday I will have to work to make up for taking off on Wednesday (to ride with Pat).  and the following Friday is "good Friday" so I will have Church stuff-  but after that I am good to go and will be posting rides for Fridays  -  stay tuned.  

Sounds good. What do u guys do as far as carrying water and stuff? I got an old camelback I used to use when I was really into mountain bike that I've been using for riding close to home. Didn't know if u make loops back to ur vehicle at some point or are u out on the trails all day?

Sounds good. What do u guys do as far as carrying water and stuff? I got an old camelback I used to use when I was really into mountain bike that I've been using for riding close to home. Didn't know if u make loops back to ur vehicle at some point or are u out on the trails all day?

. I use a osprey raptor 10 same thing as camel back holds 3liters I haven't ran out yet

What do u guys do as far as carrying water and stuff? I got an old camelback I used to use when I was really into mountain bike that I've been using for riding close to home. Didn't know if u make loops back to ur vehicle at some point or are u out on the trails all day?

I used a camelback that holds 2 liters. In the summer, I can use it all up. I drink a lot of water while riding.  I don't like carrying food on the bike, so if we are going to be riding both morning and afternoon, we usually loop back to the car, or in St Clair, stop by Vito's Coal Fired Pizza for a break, then hit the trails again. This works especially well if you want to do say Burma Rd in the morning and Darkwater in the afternoon

Found out hard way today around home to pack some tools and xtra tubes . Was riding with my nephew like 15 minutes from home and stopped for a break and noticed my rear tire was flat. Damn nail sticking right out of it. Don't know how long it was flat , never noticed it. Grabbed some tubes last night. What tools u guys carry up there and where u put them. Ur packs, fender bag?

Found out hard way today around home to pack some tools and xtra tubes . Was riding with my nephew like 15 minutes from home and stopped for a break and noticed my rear tire was flat. Damn nail sticking right out of it. Don't know how long it was flat , never noticed it. Grabbed some tubes last night. What tools u guys carry up there and where u put them. Ur packs, fender bag?

I carry a wolfman small roll up duel bag on the back of my Fender-  21 inch tube, and tire irons and tool kit.  Stays there pretty good.  

This wednesday is supposed to be great weather.

Hey Pat,

Im 99% sure Im going to ride on Wednesday- I could be at RAC ready to go at 11.  Let me know if you want to try and meet up.  

John C.  

Hey guys. Planning on heading out Friday all by my lonesome. If anyone else wants to ride that day it'd be nice to hang with atleast one other person for safety's sake. I'm a C rider at best and this'll be my first ride of the season after having my bike apart for a bunch of maintenance/mods/suspension work. So not looking to break land speed records just mainly wanna see how my bike acts after all the stuff I did. Kind of a fun, relaxed shakedown ride. Would like to mainly do single track. Not super familiar with the area but I know where most of the stuff I want to hit is and how to get there. Usually park off Valley Rd. Shoot me a PM if interested and we can go over the details. Thanks in advance.

Edited by BoogieMan84

Planning on heading out Friday all by my lonesome. 

Sounds like I'd be a good match for you. I'm riding tomorrow (Wed) with @jochuma3

I'll check in thursday and see if I can make your ride

Sounds like I'd be a good match for you. I'm riding tomorrow (Wed) with @jochuma3

I'll check in thursday and see if I can make your ride

Awesome Pat sounds good. Definitely let me know.

Friday was a good day once I finally got there. Had some growing pains with my trailer on the way, but finally got it sorted out and had a safe and fun day riding solo. Planning on heading back out Saturday April 2nd with an old riding buddy I haven't hit the dirt with in a couple years. He's only been to the area once and that was back in my Trevorton days. Anyone's interested in meeting up let me know.