Famous Reading Outdoors riding meetup thread

I really wish I could ride with you guys this weekend. In my opinion after riding Burma and Darkwater this year is that the valley road area (my preference) has the tightest, gnarliest and most technical single track. Hopefully you guys agree and return to the valley road area on a weekend I can join you. 

701 Mike 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mikezx18 said:

I really wish I could ride with you guys this weekend. In my opinion after riding Burma and Darkwater this year is that the valley road area (my preference) has the tightest, gnarliest and most technical single track. Hopefully you guys agree and return to the valley road area on a weekend I can join you. 

701 Mike 

Been preaching this for awhile. Haven't found many trails at Burma or darkwater that has you riding steep spines and steep singletrack hill climbs with logs and off camber roots and hill sides like valley. There are some sections that If you mess up you're going for a chopper ride. 

Guys, any issue with me riding with you for a bit?

I don't have an issue with anyone ever wanting to ride with me. It's always a question do they have an issue riding with me? Lol.

Come on down!
Been preaching this for awhile. Haven't found many trails at Burma or darkwater that has you riding steep spines and steep singletrack hill climbs with logs and off camber roots and hill sides like valley. There are some sections that If you mess up you're going for a chopper ride. 

That sounds like a good time [emoji849]

9 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

I don't have an issue with anyone ever wanting to ride with me. It's always a question do they have an issue riding with me? Lol.

Pretty much how I feel  about anyone would want to ride with me!

Southernend - Thanks for the heads-up.  The trail sounds great but I need to get a few more rides in before I'm ready for that trail or it will seem more like work then play.

Is anyone familiar with the trails I see on Google a little farther north (Up 61) where there is a power line trail that seems to have a bunch of trails that branch off into the woods?  Is there any parking up that way? 

1 hour ago, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

Thomas,

My group doesn't plan on leaving in a chopper. Southernend likes the spine tingling sensation of being near death at all times. This is going to be a very simple ride. I mainly wanted to explore an area I don't get to much since I normally ride over at the Burma Rd side.

Well I wouldn't say all that! It's just tighter little more technical over there. Some of thankthefranks videos are taken over there. Usually the ones somebody's bike is sideways on the ground heehee. 

Is anyone familiar with the trails I see on Google a little farther north (Up 61) where there is a power line trail that seems to have a bunch of trails that branch off into the woods?  Is there any parking up that way? 

North of Burma Road over the ridge are power lines that lead to locust lake. There is some really great single trails branching off all over the place. Unfortunately they are used for state game land and the water authority and are legally off limits. I understand FRO doesn't plan on integrating any of their hunting co-ops into their program which is to bad,. It's beautiful country.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EssigB138 said:

I'm going up to RAC Wednesday if anyone is interested

I'm interested, but think for me Friday will be better. I'm still recovering from 105 miles at Michaux Sunday. It was double my old 'one day trail" record, and so I've got almost twice the usual aches and pains. So I'll skip tomorrow, have fun, and see you Friday

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThanktheFrank said:

Pat, what's your feedback on the Michaux ride and did you get some video?

It was long and a lot of fun. I ran out of gas about one mile before getting back to my truck for lunch. Sure glad that Craig A was willing to finish the loop, get my can of premix and bring it to me in his pickup. This was the second time that I've run out of gas on the 300 doing a 50 mile ride. Gonna have to fix that.

Weather was perfect. Lots of great riders. Trails were full. Got lost a couple of times, was supposed to only do about 95 miles, so I was lost about 10 miles, or maybe lost 5 miles and spend 5 more going back.

More paved road than I expected, don't know the exact number, I was expecting just 100 yards here and there, but there might have been a couple of sections that were over a mile. Most of the miles were "improved dirt roads" maybe 50% or more. These were very nice, smooth wide dirt roads of compacted gravel. Easy to do 35 to 40 on them, often for miles. Maybe a bit too improved and boring. Another large portion were what I would call jeep trails. dual track, grass or rocks in the middle, but with fairly smooth individual tracks. I'd guess no more than 10% single track, maybe fewer. And most of the single-track was flowing, not dive between tree trunks. This could be ridden by big bikes with no problems. A small amount of the single track was narrow, twisty, rocky, muddy, root covered, etc. I made it all without a drop, but at least the twisty rocky stuff made me work a bit.

I was riding about 5 engine hours, and have about two and a half hours of video. Parts were lost because (1) I forgot to turn the camera on or (2) the SD card was full or (3) the battery ran out, etc.  Sadly, one of the sections that went video-free was an option that we took due to a navigation error. It was evil. Steep, softball sized rocks, muddy and slick. Worst problem was that we were in a train of about 20 riders, so when any one of them stalled, dropped, etc. the train stopped. Getting started again was extremely hard. We bailed out of the option, defeated.

Probably another day or two of editing the video to get it down to a reasonable length. I want to include enough that someone watching can understand what the trails were like. So its not going to be a ten minute film.

• Like 3

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Famous Reading Outdoors riding meetup thread