KTM blown fuse = broken leg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like how it happened was the cap was re-located and mounted differently in 2016. Part of the big redesign on the motors. The old mount used two bolts and a bracket to securely attach the cap near the FI body.

The new mount was a rubber sleeve moulded into the cap body. It slides over a steel tab in the front of the motor. The cap is parallel to the axis of the bike. Sitting there it looks like a ton of clearance in all directions.

With the movement of the bike, the cap can swing up and down far enough to touch the head cover bolts. Mine died while a local pro was riding it, getting some pretty good air. I found a small dent in the cap. The fix (I have not seen the new bracket yet) is to rotate the cap 90 degrees.

So, there were unintended consequences of the re-location. Doubtless a few grams were saved. KTM is obviously working hard to make these bikes lighter, not sure that this failure shows a lack of quality control, but it could be blamed on their engineering procedure. I'm surprised it was not discovered earlier, I thought the '16 changes were introduced with the FE models, but hard to say on any single item.

If I had a broken leg as a result of this change, I would be upset. I did bust myself up in 2010 due to the 2 stroke throttle cable snagging on the 1/4 turn cap. Machine issues are a small part of the risk factor in racing, but they will be there always.

Mine died while approaching a fast triple and thank God I was able to save it. My dealer replaced the capacitor free of charge. Unfortunately they did not have the updated mount available at the time. So when I read this post about the guy breaking his leg I ordered aNother capacitor with the updated mount it cost me $76. My dealer told me they have been on backorder and I was able to locate one. Figured it would be smart to change the capacitor again along with the new mount. It's just a little piece of rubber that now makes the capacitor move side to side a little bit that's the only difference I noticed in the mount. I will most likely never buy a KTM again. I have to say I do love the 350 motor and the electric start but there's been so many problems starting with the 4CS forks which cost me $4000 to fix to buy a set of cone valves. And the front wheel spokes almost blew out and that was another recall. In their quest to save weight they are putting our lives in serious danger

• Like 1