2004 CR125 clutch, please help!

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue withy my CR125 clutch. Just after warming the bike up for a ride hopped on pulled the clutch and the bike stopped. Kickstart didnt feel right so I drained the oil and pulled the clutch cover. Found that the outter friction plate had broken and slipped out, part of it getting behind itself which of course chewed up the edge of the outer basket. No broken teeth, just some minor wear. 

Installed a new OEM basket, friction and steel plates, and new springs. Soaked the plates overnight and put it all back together. When I put the pressure plate back on and torqued the bolts I noticed the outter friction plate was sitting flush to the edge of the basket. Put oil in the bike, warmed it up again,pulled the clutch and the same thing happened.

I have the correct basket, plates and springs and all are new, when assembled it just seems like he stack of plates and disks are just too tall. Its a 2004, I have 8 friction and 7 steel plates installed. 

And yes, total forum newb but long time lurker so feel free to have a laugh at my expense as well!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Look at the parts schematic and verify that all washers are in place especially number 18. Also check if any of the washers have a "step" in them. I saw this problem with a ktm and the cause was a stepped washer installed wrong.

Also make sure that a steel plate is not hiding on the bottom of the stack against the clutch hub. Sometimes they blend in quite well and you end up with an extra.