Engine Restoration - Which paint

Hey TT,

I'm restoring my 1997 Xr 600 and have just about got onto the engine. I'm planning to scotchbrite the surface then use a rattle can. 

I've heard good and bad things about VHT, but don't really know any other high temp brands. 

Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance

VHT did not serve me well but their header paint on an exhaust (which I would think would work).  

The engine really doesn't get hot enough to require any type of high temperature paint (if it does you've got major issues).  

The best looking paint I found, and one that seems very durable, is Dupli-color Perfect Match paint and clear coat.  I used their Honda silver metallic and I think it looks great.  

I will say that I didn't use it on the actual engine or cases because I had everything completely disassembled and vapor blasted.  I used it on the starter and a cover or two and, after a couple thousand miles, so far, so good. 

Rust oleum would work well, aluminum can be tricky it has to be treated with some sort of etch or blasting before it'll take paint and then you want thin thin layer of the paint more and the heat will cause thermal stress that'll cause it to chip . Take it easy and do very thin coats and wait in between them do what the can says in respect to curing it . Id recomend engine paint since you're dealing with and air cooled motor that can get surface temp in the low 300s and higher near the the exhaust ports.

Powder coat is probably the way to go that would be best if you want to get it looking good for a long time .

Dupli Color Ceramic engine paint

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0973.jpg

Edited by mcma111

Dupli Color Ceramic engine paint

looks good but howd that krinkle finish hold up on the side covers? tough place for a finish to last.

The wrinkle parts are powder coated. Just the center cases is painted.

Posted (edited)

On my cb 1100f i used tremclad high heat on cylinders and head....nice low gloss finish...4 yrs later it still looks great

20180605_141849.jpg

Edited by basmn
  • Like 3