Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 engine removal tricks???

OK I give up, can a the fully assembled motor be removed from the frame somehow? If any of you have managed to do it, please give me a few hints. Thanks

It can be a real pain in the butt - I found that removing the clutch cover and the valve cover - the engine comes out a lot easier. Turn the engine and pull it out from the left side of the bike - Left meaning the left side when you are sitting on the bike. Also, be sure to remove everything around the engine, swingarm - water elbow in the head, coil.

It is a fun job but after around the fifth time it starts to become a little easier.

SMR

:):D

Thanks, I was about to go that route (remove rightside cover etc) but just couldn't believe it was necessary and had to ask.

I just removed mine and all I did was remove the valve cover and slip it out the right side. I lifted the motor up and tilted the bottom out the right side.

The motor can be both removed and installed from the right side with all of the covers in place. It is really tricky though. I did it last week. Be careful of those radiators. The manual says to take them off. I didn't find it necessary though.

I had everything on the motor except for the chrome coolant elbow and the valve cover. As far as the rest of the bike, the swingarm, rear brake pedal, and everything else was out of the way.

Yeah, removing the motor is a real pain in the A$$. I fumbled around with mine for a while until it finally came out. I had everything on the motor which made it a little more difficult. Putting it back in took even longer trying not to scratch my newly polished frame up. :)

No tricks but i know a very good way to make everything simpler, i now got my time for an engine removale down to 35 minutes-ish because of this.

(1) Remove subframe with everything still attched, just loosen the carb boot first.

(2) Remove tank bolt and lower shroud bolt (leaving shrouds still attached to tank and lift.

(3) Remove rear shock.

(4) Loosen rear wheel adjusters so that you take the chain off the sprocket.

(5) Remove carb.

(6) Remove electronics.

(7) Remove front sprocket and chain.

(8) Remove kick start and shift lever.

(9) (have fun with this) Reach down and pull that heavy a55 engine up and out.

(10) Piss off, you deserve a rest, go have a beer and kick up your heels.

:D

This is one of the many posotives to having a wet sump engine, no oil lines to have fun with.

:EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add to remove radiators, drain coolant and remove exhaust.

Do it to it. :)

I've removed my engine many times without removing the valve or clutch covers. It can be real finicky and you have to do it just right, you kind of have to lift it up kick the bottom out to the side of the frame and then pull it from the top through the other side of the frame. It's still a [@#$%&*!] to get out and usually takes me a while despite having done it a dozen or so times. Have fun.

No tricks but i know a very good way to make everything simpler, i now got my time for an engine removale down to 35 minutes-ish because of this.

Snip...

(4) Loosen rear wheel adjusters so that you take the chain off the sprocket.

...snip

Wouldn't it be faster to just momentarily pull the axle to remove the chain? That way you don't have to "F" w/ PITA chain adjusters... twice. (BTW... while you're messing w/ your chain adjusters don't forget the anti-seize)

-Tyler

is there a utube video showing a removal? I wrestled last night for an hour in a "cage" match with the motor. I didn't win. when i try to turn the motor i'm getting stuck. the left front portion of the motor isn't clearing before the head is touching the frame. its an 07 x. any help out there?

I got mine out by myself once. An extra set of hands and eyes helps alot. it is a pain. I would be repeating what everyone else has said if I described anything. Hold your tounge a little differently and change your vocabulary Talk nice to her when you get mad instead of dropping the "F" bombs.:p

Good Luck

I guess i will have to ice down a ceremonial twelve pack before i start again. thanks

taking the valve cover off solved my problem removing the motor...

p.s. the 'ceremonial twelver' really helps!!!!

Lift engine, twist engine, remove engine.

First time took awhile. It comes out pretty easy with everything still on it once you figure out the correct lift and twist method.

Sadly, I've had to remove mine a number of times.

i have a 2003, it just comes right out. i've heard that the 2005 and up models are much more difficult.