starts revving high

So my rm 125 1994 when it starts it starts revved high.Used to do that before but i took off the carb cleaned it and put it back.The next day when i started it it was working very good but after about 2 weeks it started doing the same thing.Well when I start her she revs high for about 30 secs then is ok,so what could be the problem?

Yea if its a cold start and the choke is on it should rev up pretty high. If that is what you are referring to then i would say the choke shouldnt be on for more than a few seconds. If that is not the problem my next guess would be an air leak. That just means the engine is sucking in air from anywhere past the carb. Check all the air boots and make sure they are tight and there are no holes. There is a lot of threads on doing a leak down test on a 2 stroke and that will tell you if your problem is related to a vacuum leak. Best of luck

The idle should drop as soon as you shut off the choke. It's normal for the bike to idle very high with the choke. If it dosent drop when you turn the choke off then pull the carb apart and make sure your jetting is alright and the needle is clean

Edited by Ajf55

I know exactly what your talking about, bike revs scary high when you first start it and after a few seconds it runs totally normal. Its most likely your pilot(slow) jet is clogged. You can clean it and it will be fine for a week and then clog again right away. Check your gas tank for dirt also air cleaner, also where your throttle cable goes into the top of the carb, could have tear in the rubber boot letting dirt through.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...