YZ 125 not going into first

Neutral is like the bottom, I need to move it to first then slam down to get to first or else the gear changer stays loose in neutral. Please help just spent heaps of money on this f*%*#£¥ bike I read somewhere that it could be a shift star or something, is this hard to fix please help I was just starting to do some proper wheelies yesterday arvo and now this has happened

What year is it? If its 06 its probably the stift stopper.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Bike's break. Relax and accept it. Then just go step by step and fix the problem. Play some nice music. Drink a few brews. Do a good job and feel good about a job well done. Enjoy this part of the sport along with the riding.

• Like 1

I have this issue occasionally with mine. It has always been stripped out splines on the shifter and not the other worse stuff. Try a new shift lever first, that's a cheap fix. You should have an extra couple for spares in your tool box as backups moving forward.

• Like 1

Pull the side cover off, you'll have to remove the kickstart and drain the coolant and gear oil of course, you should be able to see the shift mechanism just under the clutch basket. Wiggle the shifter, see what's what. Be careful when you remove the side cover not to eff up the gasket.

Before you go tearing it apart for the shift stop inside:

Make sure your shaft and foot lever is not stripped and hitting the frame. Then, if that all checks out, movr to the shift stop inside, under clutch basket. Easy fix, just time consuming.  

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies! It's an 02 and the shifter isn't stripped but when I try to go down a gear it does hit the frame, this weekend I will drain it then take the side cover off and see what the go is. Was reading somewhere that there's two springs or something so hoping it's just that

Thanks for all the replies! It's an 02 and the shifter isn't stripped but when I try to go down a gear it does hit the frame, this weekend I will drain it then take the side cover off and see what the go is. Was reading somewhere that there's two springs or something so hoping it's just that

Move the shifter up a spline and try again before you open it. BUT!!! It could be the stopper anyway.

is there like springs just in the RHS cover or something that make the shifter go back up and down to its position. im pretty sure its in 5th at the moment because it used to go up a gear but never down so im guessing its gonna be in fifth and not be able to go down. could this be because of these springs coming loose or coming off?

Tension springs can break (not common) if anything it's the stoppe, if all the outside looks good and tight. You have to rock the rear wheel back and forth while downshifting if the engine is off.

• Like 1

Usually it is the simple fix. One should "like"'all the posts from those that help. And I call that to all of us end users.

How do you "LIKE" me know?

• Like 1

Usually it is the simple fix. One should "like"'all the posts from those that help. And I call that to all of us end users.

How do you "LIKE" me know?

same as before.... :p:lol:

• Like 1