Picking a handlebar bend ?

Just wondering if there's any way to pick a handle bar bend that suits you without trying them ? the problem I face is I don't live near any motocross shop to test any bars , all I know is I don't like the standard ones that come on my bike (Ktm sxf350 2012 ) , been looking at renthal twin walls and neken fat bars , just don't no what bend to pick , any help would be useful , I'm 5,7 , and ride/race motocross if that helps at all ...

• Like 2

Just wondering if there's any way to pick a handle bar bend that suits you without trying them ? the problem I face is I don't live near any motocross shop to test any bars , all I know is I don't like the standard ones that come on my bike (Ktm sxf350 2012 ) , been looking at renthal twin walls and neken fat bars , just don't no what bend to pick , any help would be useful , I'm 5,7 , and ride/race motocross if that helps at all ...

Any bend is ok,.....just don't buy this bend!ape_hangers_handlebars_chrome_fat_harley_motorcycle_lingerie_model_girl_1.jpg

• Like 1

We were just talking about this the other day.  How do you know what bend to buy?  Good question.  The best advice I can offer is if you have a problem with the bend you currently have figure out were that problem lies.  Which aspect of the bar bend would you like to see different?  Then take that info and research the bends out there that would closely match what you would like to change in your current bars.  Short of being a rich guy and buying a bunch of bars that is the best idea I can come up with unless you know lots of guys with identical bikes that all have different bars.

• Like 2

Thank you guys , Ye I guess I'll just have to do abit of research and hopefully pick the right ones , because I'm certainly not a rich guy that can afford a few pairs to test !

Thank you guys , Ye I guess I'll just have to do abit of research and hopefully pick the right ones , because I'm certainly not a rich guy that can afford a few pairs to test !

Don't let anyone suggest a certain bend to you until at least after you have done what I suggested.  There are some very similar bends out there, after you've figured out a ballpark then you can look for suggestions within that range.

• Like 2

I've got 7/8" bars and the bike came with Pro Taper SE CRHI when I bought it used about 5 years ago. I have had to replace them once since and stayed with the CRHI cus there are a LOT of bar options and it's not something like tires where I go through them quickly and try different ones.

Anyway, I'm 5-11 and with stock risers I have them rotated forward.

I like the Pro Taper bars and specifically the CRHI and you will get lots opinions.

There is lots of info in the link and with some suggestions here, might help you make a choice.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Handlebar-Measurements

And as posted ideally you should try how they feel on another bike BUT remember the other bike may have them rotated forward/back which effects your body position on bike how the bars feel and and handling of the bike.

EDIT: I think I was drunk when I posted this :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Any body know whay the 15 crfs come with stock I sat one one a while ago and I loved the bars they were rentals and they didn't have much backsweep. I can't find anything on it

Any body know whay the 15 crfs come with stock I sat one one a while ago and I loved the bars they were rentals and they didn't have much backsweep. I can't find anything on it

The bend number will be in the middle if the bar below the pad.

• Like 1

Over the past decade i've bought countless protaper bars in different bends trying to figure out what fits me and what I like... No one wants to do that and i'm sick of buying bars, hating them, giving them away, selling them, whatever. I've been running protaper cr high bends for a few years now but my only metric is that they're comfortable sitting and standing and my back doesn't hurt after riding for hours. So i'm sure there is a more appropriate bar for me but how do I find it scientifically? Just because the bars feel good doesn't mean they are correct, right. 

Is there a way to at least get into the right ball park? I swear someone on here mentioned standing on the bike in a certain way and then measuring tip of finger to bar or something like that... is there a way to fit bars like that? 

It sounds like your primary concern is height. Spacers are cheap.

I rode cr high for years. Thought it was great. Now I hate the sweep. I much prefer flatter bar's.

I'm not sure I want the height anymore. I'm not tall, 5'10" so I don't think I need the height... idk i'm probably over thinking this but I think the bars are putting me too upright and thats not letting me weight the bars into corners as hard as I'd like. I think they're screwing with my attack position as well. 

I wish I had a tubing bender and was really good at using it... bend up some rebar or something cheap to test fit. 

If what you have are the stock bars that came on the bike from the factory, they are part # 7730200110017 Renthal model 672 with bends of 110mm height, 806mm width and 81mm pullback.

http://members.shaw.ca/coldsmoke/ktm_bar_bends.jpg

Now knowing what your current bar bend is, figure out what about it you want to change and look for bar bends to suit those needs. Be sure to take into account how a specific bar maker is taking their measurements. Some take them from center to center of the bar, some go from outside to outside, as shown in the KTM bar chart. That can make several mm difference if you have a bar whose specs are taken outside to outside and you're looking at bars that are measured center to center, so do the math to be sure you're getting what you want.

• Like 1

Getting some good information here guys , surprisingly a lot of thought has to go into getting the right bars to fit your needs !

My tip and as I post, rotating the bars forward/back can make a difference on bar hight, and IMO more importantly body postilion and steering. I found rotating my bars may have made them a bit higher but it opened up my body position and really helped steering in tight tree lined single track. Free and super easy to play with during a ride.

My tip and as I post, rotating the bars forward/back can make a difference on bar hight, and IMO more importantly body postilion and steering. I found rotating my bars may have made them a bit higher but it opened up my body position and really helped steering in tight tree lined single track. Free and super easy to play with during a ride.

But rotating them so far forward that the bars rise plane is forward of the forks rake plane, makes for weird handling.

• Like 1

This is subjective and you have to try it out. This is not the best pic since my bars are a bit more rotated forward cus the bike is not completely level and I was trying to show rear gap in the risers and fork height.

I'm guessing about +2 on the handle bar marks forward from centre. Again easy to test and  IMO +2 makes a big difference in a good way for me.

handle%20bar_zpslyogndfs.jpg