Issue running tailgate Down

I didn't find the exact answer to my question in a search so I'll ask a new one

What do any of you do if you have to leave your tailgate down when transporting your bikes? My issue is. I have a 2012 f150 with a 6.5' box. No problem with just 1 bike even 2 I can close the gate. But sometimes I have 3 in it. And at that point I can't close the gate and the tires sit on the gap between the box and the gate. The issue being that the tailgate has the spring assist and bounces crazy when driving

Is there any type of locking bar manufactured I can put on the ears the cable go on to lock it down?

Running a ratchet strap from the handle over to something to hold it up isn't an option.

You could easily make one. That is what my dad did. It holds the tailgate up at an angle. Just buy a bar and drill a hole and slot the other end.

Run mine with the gate down all the time, even up bumpy mountain roads with no problems.

Had a buddy that it worried a little bit, he would put a strap from one side of the bed to the other against the back tire.

One issue of running with the gate down, backing up! Remember it's down!!!!

One issue of running with the gate down, backing up! Remember it's down!!!!

Yea, that cost me a tailgate last year. Doesn't take much, just bumped at tree at idle speed and squished it.

Buy a set of cheap tie downs (the diameter of the steel hook is smaller) and you might be able to "click it" into the tailgate latch (just like using the bar shown in the website above), then the other end to a foot peg.  

I used to just use another set of tie downs and hook one end to the tailgate and one to a stake pocket, then cinch it up tight.

Ya my biggest worry is it letting go! I want something that locks up solid with no room for error. That's why I liked the idea of the steal tailgate supports. I can make them myself and modify them them so there's no wiggle in them at all

I use a couple of turn buckles from the hardware store.

Put this together using a tie down and a 5/16" quick link.  The quick link fits good on my Chevy.  Holds the tailgate up nicely against my bikes rear wheel.

Ron

strap.jpg

We always have the tail gate down with two bikes, in a 4cyl regular cab ranger. No problems yet and have been doing this for two years, occasionally I have to pull over and tighten the tie downs on the bikes but the gate is fine. The front tires sit on the middle of the gate, and the reads touch the cab wall.

Can't wait until my brother gets a full size truck... Once had 3 men, 1 dog in cab, and 1 bike in the bed plus a pressure washer fuel and gear, then 3 bikes on a 5X10 landscaping trailer! Had to keep my foot mashed into the floor I order to maintain 65mph. Got the job done though, all we really need is more human capacity in our tow hauler. The ranger can (barely) cut it as far as hauling the toys themselves.

We always have the tail gate down with two bikes, in a 4cyl regular cab ranger. No problems yet and have been doing this for two years, occasionally I have to pull over and tighten the tie downs on the bikes but the gate is fine. The front tires sit on the middle of the gate, and the reads touch the cab wall.

Can't wait until my brother gets a full size truck... Once had 3 men, 1 dog in cab, and 1 bike in the bed plus a pressure washer fuel and gear, then 3 bikes on a 5X10 landscaping trailer! Had to keep my foot mashed into the floor I order to maintain 65mph. Got the job done though, all we really need is more human capacity in our tow hauler. The ranger can (barely) cut it as far as hauling the toys themselves.

My only issue with runnin the gate down is my f150 has a 6 foot bed. So the tires don't make it to the tailgate. And with the spring assist in the tailgate when your driving in hammers up and down. Don't wanna wreck the thing if I can help it lol.

And I usually trailer by myself so it's a rare Occurrence I have to leave the gate down