New bike time? Ktm? Beta?

I have been riding sport quads all my life and decided to get a bike last year. So I am new to bikes not new to riding. I ended up with a 2006 525sx I love the power but all the guys I ride with we do mostly single track and technical riding. The bike is working I have geared it down for the riding we do but I have the itch for a new bike, one that is geared more for the riding we do.

I really like the ktm 300xcw and the beta 300rr. My questions for the group are this.

1st being new I know that these bike are set up better for the riding we do but am I really going to notice a difference? And if so will it be enough to justify spending the extra money?

2nd. If I do get a new bike I am really torn between the ktm300 xcw and the beta 300rr. Any advice or comparisons that can be given on these to bike will be greatly appreciated

Only you can answer question #1. Have you ridden a 300? Do you love it?

If I was buying in 2015 I'd buy a Beta 300RR over the KTM 300 XC-W. Long story short, Beta's 300 was designed by the same team that designed KTM's 300. It's widely accepted as being a newer generation of the KTM motor. It has a better power valve, better pipe (more protected), oil injection and a properly engineered electric starter. Beta parts are also cheaper.

Here's the monkey wrench though. KTM is introducing a completely redesigned 300 in 2017 which should be out in several months. No one knows the details yet but that could leap frog past the Beta not only in terms of motor but also chassis and suspension.

So if you are buying today, pick up a Beta and don't look back. If you are waiting a bit, see what KTM bring out for 2017.

Edited by Doc_d

Thanks for the info I do like the beta I might go that way. Is the ktm 300 xc worth looking at? I would

Love to see what comes in 2017 but I don't know if I want to wait.

Also do the betas hold there value like a KTM

Edited by calebwcm

I've never seen a used Beta for sale here so it's hard to say how they resell. The KTM 300's go like hot cakes here. I've never seen one sit for more than a few days. So if you sell your bikes for new ones after a few years the KTM would probably be a safer bet from a resale perspective.

The XC-W has a lower first gear and I believe a heavier flywheel than the XC. The XC-W has no linkage in the rear suspension which makes dragging the skid plate over logs, rocks, etc easier. The XC-W suspension is soft for smoothing out the small stuff (rocks, roots, etc).

If you are doing tight, slow and technical trails the XC-W is probably the right choice. If you are doing faster desert trails or maybe even the occasional track day, the XC is probably the better choice.

Doc

Great thanks for all the input. I found a 2015 ktm 300 xc for $7500 in great shape. I think he will work with me on price as well. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for all the input.

Great thanks for all the input. I found a 2015 ktm 300 xc for $7500 in great shape. I think he will work with me on price as well. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for all the input.

You might want to email every KTM dealer in your state and ask for a quote on a 2015 hold over or a new 2016.  It's doubtful any 2015's are left but it's work a try.  That's what I did when I bought my 2016 350 XCF-W and I got over $1000 off MSRP.   If you get lucky and can do that on a 300 XC or XC-W you might get a brand new one for around that price.   Although I did it here in Michigan in November when the dealers knew they'd be selling very few bikes over the next 4 months because we get a lot of snow.  Still worth a shot.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

That is way too expensive for that bike. $6500 is more than fair.