The TE125 Thread

Follow up on that, today I rode it on clip position 2 with very little spooge (acceptable). Power was good, but somewhat abrupt and tiring over a two hour race, like a moto bike. Very responsive. I was also on a course with excellent traction, but I've been practicing in sand, so maybe it was just perception.

In a few days, I'm gonna try out a NECG starting on 4.

I think the Turbinecore is a bit louder than stock, but unfortunately I need the spark arrestor. I'm thinking about swapping on a Q. Stock is nice and quiet for sure.

I'm running 13/50, although I tried 14/52 today. I think maybe 13/49 or 48 might be perfect.

I did a plug chop today; the mainjet settings in the book are correct even with a prefilter and Turbinecore 2. The needle is a bit rich.

Edit: today I burned almost exactly one gallon per hour at race pace in deep sandy two track.

Hi I run 13/48 on the sprockets and I ain't getting along with it, I try and use second gear up hills it either dies or you got to scream it, I'm putting 13/51 on and seeing if that's any better.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459769046.717191.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459769095.302536.jpg

This is currently my husqvarna te 125 2014 it's done 46 hours and the upgrades I've done is

-Mousses front and rear

-radiator braces

-vhm head

-sx rear tail pipe

-factory springs with factory adjusters (rear shock)

-renthal twin walls

-hand guards

I've done the jetting in the carb and am currently messing about with the chain and sprockets as I'm running 13/48t but I'm going to try 13/51t

Let you know if any updates.

Was 13/48 stock in 2014?

I feel like 13/51 would bunch the gears too close together, unless you exclusively ride singletrack.

What's your thoughts on that VHM head?

With 13/48 it bogs a lot in second and third so I've been recommended to go up to a 51 so it's less bog but you lose some top end, and vhm head hasn't done loads but it's made a improvement and keeps the bike cooler.

My current 14/52 is closest mathematically to a13/48, and I'm not really getting any bogginess. The race I had yesterday had a ton of up and down, and I was upshifting on some of the longer hills. It was also nice cool weather. I actually used first gear sometimes, though, which was not happening much on 13/50.

It's amazing how different everyone can be on sprockets. Such an individual thing.

I want to try 13/49. That might be perfect for my blend of terrain. I would do 13/48 if I only did sandy two track, though.

Why not take a compression reading now while it's still relatively new, and comparative readings later on in the season.

When the result drops 10% from your as-new readings, consider it's time for a refresh for optimum performance.

I think the hours method is better applicable to constant high revving MX use.

Edited by mlatour

I took a compression reading at 15 hours with clean airfilter in place, lid off, Motion Pro tester with a result of 190 psi after about 20 kicks.

I agree with you generally on using this method, I'm just bored and trying to guess when it'll be due I suppose.

Of course, there's always the possibility of catastrophic skirt failure before the ring is worn out. I'll be staying in Tennessee (I live in S Carolina) for two months this summer, so I may swap it before I go so I don't have to bring as many 'just in case' tools.

About 2/3 of my hours so far are in sand, but I'm obsessive about filtration.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice TE! Just bought a 15 TE 125. Should be a fun experiment. I'm 6'1" and 225 with gear so will be interested to see what it can do in the woods. Looking forward to the light weight! At 6k to me it's a lot of bike at a fair price. Dealer is springing the suspension for my weight.

So, how are you getting along with the bike? I am your exact size, and am currently riding a 2013 GASGAS ec300. I used to have a Honda CR 125 that I enjoyed riding... It's the bike I "learned on" before I moved on to the 300.

I often miss the lightweight flickability of that Honda, and often feel like the 300 is just gobs more power than I really need.

My local dealer has his personal TE125 for sale. 20 hours, rad guards, skid plate, handguards, fmf turbine core, and more. Excellent condition. I am very tempted.

What would I be getting myself into? Terrain is similar to the video attached above.

I ride my husqvarna te 125 in hard enduro and I change it every 40 hours and it's high revs a lot

How's the compression at 40 hrs? Have you had any damage or scuffing? Who makes the stock piston, and did you switch to an aftermarket one?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get ahead of the curve, since I am rapidly approaching time to order one.

• 3 weeks later...

'15 TE125 with 13/52 gearing, FMF Fatty, stock silencer with EE screen SA.  I'm a 180 lbs and went up on the spring rates, forks and shock. I left jetting stock, only changing to larger main, pilot and richer needle for winter temps.  Trail Rider Magazine said that after trying many combinations... stock settings worked best. I rode the bike for a whole season of trail riding, trail work, 7 enduros, 1 GNCC and a HS on the original piston and ring.   The bike performed flawlessly all season and pulled me up all the hills and everywhere else.  First bike in 10 years without an auto clutch too.

At the end of the season, I took the top end down and all was good.  I had the chance to buy complete low hour KTM 150 XC crank and top end.  Guy had converted his '14 150 XC with 7 hours to a 200.  I split the motor and did the conversion.  The extra power and torque makes it easier to ride in out hilly terrain, but I was very happy with the 125... Great bike!

• Like 2

I'm running Opti2 at 70:1 and while it feels a bit rich if I'm not revving the bike, I haven't had to change a plug. I'll be trying 80:1 on my next batch of mix.

Using Opti-2 here too on a 250 at 100:1 since September '15 and no problems to report. I ride slow nasty stuff where smoke can't even clear the woods so this is nice due to low smoke and low spooge. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...