Is plating/sleeving your cylinder worth it?

Hello. I just rebuilt the top end in my 2003 yz125 and replaced the piston, ring, and gaskets. During the rebuild, I noticed my cylinder didn't have much cross-hatching, and wasn't long for this world. I have had it running for about 3 months,and yesterday it died and wouldn't kick over, leading me to believe the cylinder finally went to heck. Does anyone know a place to pick up a cheap one? Thank you

HancockMX546, on 19 Mar 2016 - 5:52 PM, said:

Hello. I just rebuilt the top end in my 2003 yz125 and replaced the piston, ring, and gaskets. During the rebuild, I noticed my cylinder didn't have much cross-hatching, and wasn't long for this world. I have had it running for about 3 months,and yesterday it died and wouldn't kick over, leading me to believe the cylinder finally went to heck. Does anyone know a place to pick up a cheap one? Thank you

You are better off pulling it and sending it in for re-plate. 

Langcourt

Millennium 

US chrome 

Etc. Most likely you will just get junk again. Did you loose compression?

• Like 1

I am just getting to checking the compression since I work even on weekends. I'm almost positive the cylinder went out. I'll update when I get a compression test done

• Like 1

Send it out and get it plated. It will be around 200 and will last years. Ive had good luck with millenium and us chrome. I wouldnt bother with compression test, tear it down and see what happened. Inspect the crank for up and down movement very well.

• Like 1

Ok I will look into that. I just had the entire top end apart at the beginning of January and the bottom end was in good shape but this is a great opportunity to recheck. Thank you!

Hello! I recently rebuilt my top end (replaced the piston, ring and gaskets) and noticed my cylinder was missing the cross hatching. I was well aware it wasn't long for this world and decided to ride until it went out. Yesterday was the day my luck ran out I guess. I heard that re-plating it would be a better choice than just replacing it, so I researched it a little bit and came across a place that does iron sleeves for cylinders as well as re-plating. From what I read from different sites, sleeving is the way to go. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with plating and sleeving? If so please let me know, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

I just had mine replated. Some will say the sleeving with a steel sleeve will hold in more heat and be more prone to pinging.

I have rebuild plenty of YZ bikes and will give you this to chew on.

Re-plate or to sleeve:

Don't sleeve if you don't have to:

Why? Once a sleeve always a sleeve, runs hotter, has a tendancy to crack between ex/int ports because of the heat and warpage, true-you can hone between pistons and rings BUT... It will not last as long.

Re-plate:

Why? Because it is the best material out there for high performance small engines, you can run 4 pistons and 8 ring sets through it (good % of the time) before re-plating again.

Cost between the two is not significant enough to destroy a cylinder with a sleeve.

Just my $.02

• Like 2

While the material used for plating is harder, I think in the real world a sleeve will actually last longer.  In my experience, plated cylinders never wear out.  Rather, they develop chips that require replating the whole cylinder long before the plating wears.  A sleeve, on the other hand, will never chip, and even though it is not as hard as plating, I can't imagine that someone would put enough hours on a dirtbike to actually wear it enough to require a bore or re-sleeve.  

The bottom line however, is that either procedure, if done by a reputable shop, will work fine.  I have bought a couple of used bikes that needed cylinder work in the last few years, and Millennium did nice work for me.

Consider this: A new OEM cylinder is $315.  A re-plate or sleeve is about $200.  Your old cylinder is worth about $75.  Or as a spare cylinder for a big bore, port job or, in my case, to send your broken rod through the skirt on the first lap of the first race of the day 10 seconds after moving into first place.... is $115 :busted:

• Like 2

Thank all y'all for the input. I'll have to do more research about it but your guys' opinions made it a heck of a lot easier

it could just be your plug make sure you have the exact right plug for it, or it will cause it to foul and not crank up that happened to me yesterday and spent hours looking everywhere for the right plug id see if that works first, also dont buy a cylinder sleeve from a shop buy it from ebay then take the cylinder to the shop instead of spending 130 from buying it from a shop when you can get it for 80 on ebay

Edited by brentonchaseturner

I have just figured out my problem. Cylinder is fine but my yamalube oil fouled it and it won't spark without being heated. A note to all yz125 riders:STAY AWAY FROM YAMALUBE!!! My bel ray never came dripping out of my power valve vent before. I started running yamalube and a thick gummy trail flowed forth. Go with bel ray and save yourself a plug

• Like 1

it could just be your plug make sure you have the exact right plug for it, or it will cause it to foul and not crank up that happened to me yesterday and spent hours looking everywhere for the right plug id see if that works first, also dont buy a cylinder sleeve from a shop buy it from ebay then take the cylinder to the shop instead of spending 130 from buying it from a shop when you can get it for 80 on ebay

That is just what I found out a few minutes ago. Yamalube fouled my plug and I had to take a torch and heat it for it to finally start up. I'm positive I have the right plug, I read the manual very carefully, but thank you!
  • Like 1

That is just what I found out a few minutes ago. Yamalube fouled my plug and I had to take a torch and heat it for it to finally start up. I'm positive I have the right plug, I read the manual very carefully, but thank you!

The manual states run 30:1 for mix. I think thats to much oil an not an easy mix. 32:1 is easy because it is 4oz to 1 gallon of super pump gas. The 125 takes a BR9EG for standard plug and an I for iridium. I run the hotter plug and it works perfect in 32:1 mix with "stock jettin." 

Edited by PALMER84ONE

I have just figured out my problem. Cylinder is fine but my yamalube oil fouled it and it won't spark without being heated. A note to all yz125 riders:STAY AWAY FROM YAMALUBE!!! My bel ray never came dripping out of my power valve vent before. I started running yamalube and a thick gummy trail flowed forth. Go with bel ray and save yourself a plug

Yamalube is not the problems.  It has been used by millions of riders all over the world for decades.  If memory serves me correctly, I started using it in the late 70s.  Having some oil drip from the tube is normal on a two stroke.  

Try running a BR8ES plug.  It will cost you all of $2.50 at any autoparts store.

• Like 1

I have rebuild plenty of YZ bikes and will give you this to chew on.

Re-plate or to sleeve:

Don't sleeve if you don't have to:

Why? Once a sleeve always a sleeve, runs hotter, has a tendancy to crack between ex/int ports because of the heat and warpage, true-you can hone between pistons and rings BUT... It will not last as long.

Re-plate:

Why? Because it is the best material out there for high performance small engines, you can run 4 pistons and 8 ring sets through it (good % of the time) before re-plating again.

Cost between the two is not significant enough to destroy a cylinder with a sleeve.

Just my $.02

I will add that resleeving is vintage bike technology.

If the motor is stuck you might have an additional problem to a bad cylinder.

• Like 2

Pretty sure yamaha wouldn't brand a product that doesn't work with their bikes...

Pro tip: When putting a new piston and rings in a used plated cylinder, scrub the bore with red scotch brite, and lots of WD40 to clean out the cross hatching and give it some fresh bite to get a good seat with the new top end.

And i know MXA runs it in ALL their 2 strokes, no matter what brand. It is kind of the go to in the 2 stroke world.

• Like 1