New YZF breaks my arms

hey there

i used to own a wr250f 2012 not too long ago and it always felt like the bike did everything for me. i just had to twist the throttle and the rest was taken care by him.

recently sold it and got a yz250f 2015 and i keep riding in the same track, but while with the wr i could go 5-6 laps, with the yz i can only go 1-2 laps! it break my heart but mostly my arms. i just feel like i can't hold the handlebars even one more second and the whole weekend passes by before i'm ready to go on the bike again.

i have 0 knowledge about suspensions. 

my real question is actually is there a way to find the correct setup with the original suspension system or should i take it to the shop to change something?

thanks

the arm breaker

12804645_10154599956987306_1529038015570

the x

12185427_1060508763982874_81847380789334

Edited by morovshits

The WR is a lot softer suspension setup since it is a bike setup for woods riding where the YZ250F has suspension made to handle motocross. Totally different suspension setups on the 2 bikes and you would definitely want to take it to a shop if you have no knowledge on suspension.

agree, look up setting race sag.  that will help a bit, but for the front like waffles said you need to take it to a shop to get lighter springs put in.

Before you take it to a shop and drop $ on new springs, try softening your compression by using the "clickers". On the bottom of the fork tube, remove the rubber plug to gain access to the clicker adjustment screw. Use a flat blade screwdriver and back it out. Count the number of clicks as you back it out so that each side is the same. Don't be afraid to back them all the way out. There is a stopper in there. The clicker wont fall out as you unscrew it. It will just hit the stop.

The rebound clicker is on top of the fork tubes. You can mess with those too.

Obviously check sag and spring it correctly for your weight...I would recommend you drop some oil out of the forks and play with clickers too...

Before you take it to a shop and drop $ on new springs, try softening your compression by using the "clickers". On the bottom of the fork tube, remove the rubber plug to gain access to the clicker adjustment screw. Use a flat blade screwdriver and back it out. Count the number of clicks as you back it out so that each side is the same. Don't be afraid to back them all the way out. There is a stopper in there. The clicker wont fall out as you unscrew it. It will just hit the stop.

Rebound on bottom, compression on top...

Could you just have some serious arm pump? Are the handlebars in the same position as your WR? If their very forward you might not be used it that. Just an idea.

I Was thinking just that.

i placed both - rebound and compression - at the middle (10 clicks) and will hit the track again this weekend to find out if that worked.

i'll take a screwdriver with me to try and play with it while riding and see if it makes enough difference

Could you just have some serious arm pump? Are the handlebars in the same position as your WR? If their very forward you might not be used it that. Just an idea.

that might be a good point. on the wr i had a different handlebar, which was way wider and i might have taken it a little closer to me.

i'll try that as well.

thanks for the tips!

Don't be afraid to adjust the compression clickers way out, go full soft and see if it helps. The WR valving is way softer, you will need a revalve to make it feel like the WR.

Grip those knees and loosen up the death grip

this worked like magic.

i actually softened rebound and compression by 2 clicks by i think the real difference was by turning the handlebars 1 line closer to me.

cheers!

On 3/26/2016 at 11:56 AM, morovshits said:

this worked like magic.

i actually softened rebound and compression by 2 clicks by i think the real difference was by turning the handlebars 1 line closer to me.

cheers!

Was searching around to see what adjustments others have made to their yzf's. I stopped in the woods yesterday and adjusted my bars 1 line closer and it made a HUGE difference. Running comp / rebound both about 14 clicks out in the woods and 12/11 (respectively) on the track at ~183lbs. 

I cringe whenever I see people with their bars rotated forwards. It puts your wrists and forearms at an unnatural angle and causes all sorts of problems. 

Edited by Vintage Not Pimpage

I agree with comments of different suspension.  It takes a totally different understanding and technique.  Just know that the front is going to be stiffer, and as such, will require you to allow your hands/arms to move back and forth, almost like a rowing motion.  Don't try to stop the bars from moving back and forth, it won't work.  Once you allow that motion, then you want to make sure your elbows are out, not down at your side.    Once you adopt that style, riding will become much easier.  Its not a bike adjustment, its you adapting to the bike.  Watch videos of the fast pro guys in a race and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Edited by ronbuell