running mixed gas in a 4 stroke?

Hey guys, I ride a 05 crf450r, 4 stroke obviously.

and a buddy of mine rides a 08 yz 250, 2 stroke obviously.

we were riding one day and 20 km away from the trucks, in the snow, and I ran outta fuel. he didnt have much left either.  we thought about taking some mixed gas from his tank, and running it in my 4 stroke.  he said hes done it before, but in all my years of biking, thats one thing ive never needed to do was run 2 stroke gas in my 4 stroke bike.

we decided not to, instead he used the gas he had to go to the truck and get some help/fuel from someone. (we didnt have jerry cans with us either)

so, im wondering, would my bike run on 2 stroke gas? I assume it would.  right?  would it run rough?  is it a horrible idea to do that? or is it commonly done out of desperation when in a pinch?  he said hes done it before when another 4 stroke rider ran out.  he said it smoked a lot, but dont remember anything about the performance/sound of the engine on mixed gas.

what do you guys figure?

Edited by cdf450

If you ran straight mixed gas worse thing is probably a fouled plug. If it was diluted with say what you had in  reserve,( does a 450r even have reserve?) then probably nothing depending on how much mixed gas you put in it. 

Edited by Nor8e8rs

It will smoke and run slightly leaner but it will get you home. I have done this a few times without any issues just take it easy until you fill it back up.

I've ran my lawn mower on the leftover premix for years. The smell makes me daydream about riding while I'm mowing..  :smirk:

Be sure and return the favor and put some of your gas in his bike!  :doh:

I've ran my lawn mower on the leftover premix for years. The smell makes me daydream about riding while I'm mowing.. :smirk:

ha ha I thought I was alone....

Be sure and return the favor and put some of your gas in his bike!  :doh:

thats what we ended up doing. the quadder only had straight gas so my buddy got a half liter or so, and I got 2.5L.  gave the quadder the $20 bill that ive had in my bar pad since 2011. I knew it would come in handy one day!

If you ran straight mixed gas worse thing is probably a fouled plug. If it was diluted with say what you had in  reserve,( does a 450r even have reserve?) then probably nothing depending on how much mixed gas you put in it. 

no, 450r doesnt have a reserve. it was bone dry.  popped the hose off the carb and opened the fuel valve... nothing came out. bone dry.

It will be fine. My mower and pressure washer are both four stroke and receive two smoke fuel all the time. In fact, my Husky TE449 also receives my two smoke fuel exclusively but it's scant on oil (100:1) and hasn't been an issue in either motor two or four stroke. 

thats what we ended up doing. the quadder only had straight gas so my buddy got a half liter or so, and I got 2.5L.  gave the quadder the $20 bill that ive had in my bar pad since 2011. I knew it would come in handy one day!

no, 450r doesnt have a reserve. it was bone dry.  popped the hose off the carb and opened the fuel valve... nothing came out. bone dry.

So, your buddy got some gas from a quad guy? And it was not mixed. He put a half liter in his 2 stroke? So his fuel ratio probably went from 40 or 32:1 to 50 or 60:1. Not terrible for a short time/distance. 20km is a long way from the truck to run out!

Edited by Nor8e8rs

A little extra lube never hurt anybody. You'll be fine.

It's fine I do it all the time.

As others have said, it's fine. I've ran it in cars, lawnmowers, etc. I even gave a guy in a BMW car a gallon of mixed gas who was out of gas stranded on the side of the road. Get yourself a fuel bottle if you plan on going on long rides that test your range.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBOTT-Fuel-Bottle/dp/B002L1413S

I've ran my lawn mower on the leftover premix for years. The smell makes me daydream about riding while I'm mowing.. :smirk:

My Craftsman LT1000 has ran on almost nothing but mixed gas it's whole life. My lap times are much lower than when I have to run straight gas.

My Craftsman LT1000 has ran on almost nothing but mixed gas it's whole life. My lap times are much lower than when I have to run straight gas.

Yep, I hear that lawnmowers don't care if it's JASO FC/FD or TCW3 but it may affect mow times some I suppose. :)

Nah it wont hurt a thing. just clean your spark plug, or put a fresh on in, you should be ok.

So, your buddy got some gas from a quad guy? And it was not mixed. He put a half liter in his 2 stroke? So his fuel ratio probably went from 40 or 32:1 to 50 or 60:1. Not terrible for a short time/distance. 20km is a long way from the truck to run out!

yup, he put straight gas in, and yeah his fuel ratio would definitely be up there, but it was for a short distance and just out of desperation.

and yes, 20 km is far... especially when youre pushing it through snow 18" deep!!!  I went about 1km while he was gone to get fuel.. theres no way I coulda/woulda went the whole way.  even walking out without the bike would be tough.  I was getting ready for a longgggggg night.

when we went into the bush where was a group at the entrance camping, they had a campfire, etc...  so we figured they would still be there to get fuel from.  nope.  they were gone!  scary stuff.  there was only one other guy out there and he was getting ready to head home too.  20 more mins and we woulda been royally screwed.  and to top it off, I had the truck keys with me so my buddy couldnt even go buy fuel.  he would have to had to ride all the way back to me 20km, then back out 20 km to the truck.... on 1/8th of a tank.  we got very lucky.

lessons learned:

1. check fuel more often (tough with tank foam though)

2. WFO snow/sand riding takes 2x more fuel than normal.

3. leave keys hidden at the truck.

4. bring jerry cans of fuel next time!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458626160.320204.jpg

Buy one or two of these cans. They're small enough to put in a back pack and obviously hold fuel safely. When we would go on long rides one or two of us always had one and a tow strap.

Just don't run race gas in a weed eater, I seized mine that way. It ran great right up until it LOCKed UP!! Edited by Rooster72

Mixed gas can do no harm.  Might even help protect valves and seats.  The only exception to this would be catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.  I wouldn't expect those components to put up with it.

Mixed gas can do no harm.  Might even help protect valves and seats.  The only exception to this would be catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.  I wouldn't expect those components to put up with it.

I wasn't going to comment till I saw this. I run a tad of Yamalube in my 1981 Suzuki. The extra oil protects the piston crown from detonation which was why leaded as was so great. But between the ethanol, low octane fuels, and it being air cooled it really creates an environment for detonation.