2006 YZ250F Pilot Jet Replacement Help

Hello, I have a 2006 YZ250F in which I'm pretty sure I need to clean/replace the pilot jet. I bought the bike last year and it ran pretty well. Fast forward to this year and I didn't properly store it for the winter so now the bike only idles with the choke. Without the choke, it used to idle for less than 10 seconds before dying. I tried to clean the pilot jet today but I couldn't see the pilot jet after taking off the fuel bowl because there wasn't a lot of space so I tried to clean it by sticking a wire through it. It helped and now my bike can idle without the choke but it is still pretty hesitant from 0 ~ 1/4 throttle. I'm fairly certain that the jet isn't completely cleaned. So my question is can I remove the pilot jet without removing the entire carb? I tried to rotate the carb towards me when I was working on it to help improve the visibility but I still couldn't see the pilot jet. I could stick my flathead in the hole and sometimes it seemed as if I had it placed correctly but I wasn't sure and I didn't want to risk stripping it or something. I couldn't rotate the carb more because something on the top of the carb (I think it may be the hot start) was hitting the frame. I really don't want to take the entire carb out to replace the pilot jet so can someone tell me how they do it? Thank you.

You give up waaaay too easily

Flashlights

Stubby bit driver

Flat bit

Phillips bit (prefferably the ISO tip if you have one)

4.0 straight screwdiver (for the pilot jet)

Lay the bike on the ground

Loosen the boots and gently twist the bottom of the carb toward you (left side)

DO NOT clean the jet, buy a new one

I did loosen the two clamps for the boots and moved the carb toward me but it didn't help much because something attached to the top of the carb was hitting a part of the frame. I could barely see a little part of the pilot jet because the carb couldn't be angled any further. I will try again tomorrow after buying the new jet and I'll lay down the bike so it's easier to work.

Edited by yz250fv

Use a small dental mirror. Eventually, you'll just know the spot the pilot jet is and you'll not need to do anything special.

I use the Motion Pro 90 degree tool.

DO NOT over tighten the jet or force in a screwdriver blade any wider then the pilot jet or you will break the carb.

Ok thank you. How much more of a turn would you recommend after the jet makes contact with the "seating surface"? (if I very lightly turn the screwdriver until it stops, how much more of a turn?)

Takes about 10 mins to take off gas tank, sub frame, and rear shock.. Get a cordless impact and its a breeze

No need to do all that to swap a pilot. Remove the 17mm cap on the bottom of the float bowl, remove the jet, replace., two real, not TV, minutes.

No need to do all that to swap a pilot. Remove the 17mm cap on the bottom of the float bowl, remove the jet, replace., two real, not TV, minutes.

Very true. I just enjoy it